Menu

Rules of your house??

Anyone care to share rules of their home/school that ARE working? I know consistancy is #1 for any rule, but supposing one IS consistant, what rules are you glad you have?

One rule at our house is that if you cross into the other person's room without being invited, you owe them a dollar. Works great. Saves a lot of time we did spend on who was or was not suyppose to be in what room. We have the same rule for our room as well. However at night, usually around 7/8pm I tell them it's "open". This allows them to come in w/o asking and w/o paying.

Be nice.

Use good manners.

No whining.

Be respectful.

That's all I can think of, but that pretty well sums things up. By the way, the first two rules "officially" came into being due to the neighbor children. I have a well-behaved only child, so being nice and using good manners was a way of life in our household. It was interesting that we never had to spell it out before the neighbors came along. lol.

All I ask is that everyone be civil and tidy 80% of the time. Someday I'll stitch a sampler:

Be civil.

80/100

Be tidy.

Love it!

We don't have a lot of rules, just a lot of good habits we are building. :D

Be kind to yourself and others, that includes how you speak to others and about yourself.

Always hug your mother in the morning.

Say I love you before you leave the house, just in case.

I will not wash your underwear at 10pm because you forgot to tell it was your last clean pair.

You eat dinner here, you can help get it ready.

More things are negotiable if you phrase your question in the right tone.

Adults are human too, we can be wrong and will apologize if that is the case. We expect the same behavior in return.

A clean and organized house is easier to live in. That doesn't mean you can't LIVE in the house, just clean it up a little along the way.

We are a family. We may all drive each other a little crazy once in a while, but we're on this journey together. Let's learn how to work together.

We have some strange ones. During school work I have a "no quoting" rule. This means no mindless quoting of songs or movies. :glare: My boys can see something once and quote it over and over again. (this then leads to a ton of giggling) The other is no talking about things that are not related to the subject at hand. I am not a tyrant about this one and if there is some sort of logical progression as to how their thoughts went that direction it is fine. But, if we are doing math we are not going to start discussing the anatomy of a butterfly, park day on tues or if we can go shopping for a new toothbrush. ;)

No rules and no consequences at my house. Do you think I'm crazy or what? :D

Seriously, we really have no fixed rules, just the general understanding that you should always be kind and helpful. DH and I do our best to model the values we want to instill in our children and they have (more or less ;)) picked them up. No, they are not perfect little angels; they have tantrums, poke their siblings, refuse to set the table, and any number of other things that drive me up. the. wall. But I've found that the best way to fix behavioural problems is with a good talk:

Me: "Why didn't you want to do any math this morning?"

DD 7: "Because I didn't have my pink pencil. I need it for math."

Me: "Oh sweetie, I'm sorry, I was using your pencil last night. I didn't know it was so important to you. Next time can you ask for the pencil instead of getting so upset?"

And I'm sure that if a similar situation comes up again she will ask instead of crying. Now she knows that I won't laugh and say, "The colour of your pencil doesn't matter!" or "That's no reason not to do math!". I've found that kids always have a reason why they misbehave, and even if it seems silly or not worthy of such behaviour, it is very important to them.

Sorry, I'm just rambling away. :001_smile:

"No screaming"

"You are responsible for your own belongings, including where you put them last"

"Do NOT let the dog lick out of the peanut butter jar"

"If you tattle and it doesn't involve imminent or potential death, smoke, or blood, you get punished too"

"Drama, hysterical sobbing, ect. are not tolerated. You may go to your room until I let you out. And yes, I can hear what you are muttering under your breath as you stomp down the hallway"

"No 'pets' allowed unless I personally approve them"

"I am not baking anything unless this place is picked up and you people are behaving"

I'll keep mine classroom oriented.

1) On my calendar I've put the girls initials, if it's your day you are the "leader". :rolleyes: This is how far I've had to take it, to maintain peace and order in the class..

If you're the leader it's your job to open up the class (curtains, lights, etc).

You must go first on piano and violin first thing in the morning (if you're not the leader, you can play when you feel like it).

The leader is in charge of keeping the kitchen table clean all day too.

2) When I call silence in class it means YOU NEED TO WORK QUIETLY. I've worked hard to help them appreciate a quiet productive classroom. It's been soooo worth it!

3) This one is from when they were much younger, but for some funny reason it still works... If I'm having a hard time getting them to come in and start class, all I have to do is ring my bell. They will drop what they're doing and quickly come to class and sit down.

4) Four days a week math and ILL must get done.

5) Nothing non-school related can come into class.

6) Fencing gear goes straight into the closet after class.

We don't have a lot of rules, just a lot of good habits we are building. :D

Be kind to yourself and others, that includes how you speak to others and about yourself.

Always hug your mother in the morning.

Say I love you before you leave the house, just in case.

I will not wash your underwear at 10pm because you forgot to tell it was your last clean pair.

You eat dinner here, you can help get it ready.

More things are negotiable if you phrase your question in the right tone.

Adults are human too, we can be wrong and will apologize if that is the case. We expect the same behavior in return.

A clean and organized house is easier to live in. That doesn't mean you can't LIVE in the house, just clean it up a little along the way.

We are a family. We may all drive each other a little crazy once in a while, but we're on this journey together. Let's learn how to work together.

:iagree: That sounds about like us too!

No rules and no consequences at my house. Do you think I'm crazy or what? :D

Seriously, we really have no fixed rules, just the general understanding that you should always be kind and helpful. DH and I do our best to model the values we want to instill in our children and they have (more or less ;)) picked them up. No, they are not perfect little angels; they have tantrums, poke their siblings, refuse to set the table, and any number of other things that drive me up. the. wall. But I've found that the best way to fix behavioural problems is with a good talk:

:iagree:We really have no set rules at the house, but I model the behavior I want, and when the kids fail miserably at something we discuss it. This seems to work best for us.

I expect a lot of self-sufficiency in our house - don't ask someone else to do something you can do for yourself (Thomas Jefferson). That's how I was raised and I liked it. They get their own breakfast, take their dishes to the sink, and DD14 always makes her own lunch.

DD14 - Must be at desk working on math by 8:30am or gets dish duty for a day.

DD11 - No set times for school, but absolutely no iPod or other electronics until school is completed. She is usually diligent and doesn't need a schedule.

Both must do 1 hour of productive activities to earn 1 hour on the computer. Productive activities include extra reading, art, piano practice and exercise.

Weekly chores are completed Saturday morning. There are no assigned chores during the week because I see "school" as the kids' job. Each has assigned chores involving laundry, cleaning their bathroom and bedrooms, bathing the dog, cleaning their hamsters' cages, etc... No electronics, friends or allowance until chores are completed.

Morning Chores: Get dressed, take out your dog, make your bed, eat, brush teeth and hair, make bed and tidy room and be prepared for school.

Evening chores: Reverse morning and each takes a turn with cleaning yard after dogs, dishes, trash and clearing table.

Consquences for not doing any of the above results in loss of all things eletronic for 24 hrs. and in this house that is a big deal.

We try not to have too many rules, but over the years, we have had to add some.

Be nice

No whining

No singing at the table

No running in the kitchen

Must tell an adult before you go outside (we live on a working farm)

10 cent fine for each name when name calling

Always apologize ( includes parents too)

Sometimes I have, no lunch or food of any kind till school is done.

Mind you mine are little and school can take a mere 30 minutes each, less for my youngest. They know this rule, and are reminded of it after breakfast. If they choose to play first thing, then so be it. But no food of any kind till school is done.

gosh, I don't really have rules. I mean, I tell them not to do stuff (like chin ups on the shower bar, lol) but I don't have RULES.

We do have expectations. Mostly it is "Don't be a jerk". In my head, I use a much less polite word. I have no patience for pettiness, cruelty or arrogance. Give me those attitudes and we are going to have a conversation.

DH and I have a family philosophy that home should always be the best place. I never want my children or my husband or myself to dread coming home. The world is harsh, home shouldn't be. We want our home to be a place where people will lift you up, not pull you down.