Menu

Apple Pie in a 9x13?

I remember doing this many years ago (I was 11) when my family was doing apple pie to be served at a church benefit. It cooks just the same. It doesn't serve as pretty. Every one attending the benefit liked the pie anyway.

Warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, who cares whether or not there's a perfect wedge on their plate.

A lot of the slab pies have proportionately less filling. My grandma gave me a recipe from some magazine for one with apricots, anyway it's made on a big jelly roll pan (like a giant cookie sheet, with the sides). That's even bigger than your 9x13. It had a noticeably smaller amount of filling.

You can kind of cook an apple pie forever and it won't taste bad, as long as you don't burn it, so I wouldn't worry about that, as long as you just wait until the insides bubble. I think it would be fine, if a bit messy. Who can turn down pie?!

It's really hard to serve a pie baked in a 9 x 13 with a bottom and top crust. The top and bottom don't tend to "hang together", kwim? I'd probably bake it without the bottom crust, and then cut & scoop as I would an apple crisp, making sure each serving had it's piece of top crust.

Now I want apple pie. :tongue_smilie:

Well, it sounds delicious to me!

I would probably brown the bottom crust just a little before putting in the filling. Maybe 6-7 minutes. Otherwise, I think the center of the bottom crust may end up being soggy when you cook it.

Be sure and come back and let us know how this worked! I have made a pan-less apple pie before (baked on a cookie sheet), but never one in a 9x13 pan.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. I just wanted to report back in and let you know I made it this weekend. Overall, I think it turned out okay. I had a few issues but I don't think they weren't related to the 9x13. Instead, I had to do some ingredient substitution that led to a less than wonderful crust and my oven here is pretty horrible (the crust wasn't very good even when I baked up the extra scrap pieces so that is how I now it wasn't the pan issue). The pie seemed to cook just as evenly as it does in my regular glass pie pans and since I baked the pie the night before I was to serve it, it sliced up fine and actually worked out great because people were able to pick crusts, corners, or middles according to their preferences.

Thanks for all the help!