Menu

Any of you had a kid with CAST from broken arm/elbow?

My son fractured his elbom May 2nd and got a cast for a minor fracture. We had it removed May 25th, three days ago. Yet he still keeps his arm in the same position and complains if I ask him to straighten it. The doc didn't discuss post-cast normals. We see the doc again in 4 weeks and I don't want to call him this weekend and I'm curious. My internet search hasn't been too informative thus far.

I can't call his nurse until Monday, so until then.....can any of you share your post-cast experiences? What to expect?

FWIW, he just turned 5.

Thanks.

I've attached a with and without photo to show you what I'm talking about. On the without cast photo you'll see that even when he's distracted by the fun of going down a water slide that he keeps the arm

bent as if still casted.

post-16194-13535084942891_thumb.jpg

post-16194-13535084943465_thumb.jpg

post-16194-13535084942891_thumb.jpg

post-16194-13535084943465_thumb.jpg

My daughter was instructed to do various exercises to get her arm moving again. They explained them in the office and we did them at home. We were given a handout that explained the various exercises. I would ask about exercises that he can do to get his elbow and arm moving again.

It didn't take her long at all to get back to normal.

I agree that the muscles atrophy and take awhile to strengthen again. We, too, were given exercises for my oldest to do after he got his cast off (he was 7). My ds didn't want to move his arm either at first. It took awhile, but pretty soon he realized it would be okay and that the exercises were making it work better and be stronger.

If they didn't give you exercises that's their bad, and you should call them at least, so you can get those going!

I broke my elbow when I was 11yo. When the cast came off, my range of motion was limited, but the doctor gave me exercises to do at home. My mom and dad made sure I did the exercises, and slowly I was able to move my elbow more and more.

I hope they didn't send you home with no instructions or info on what to expect. :( If so that's really irresponsible, imo.

It's pretty normal, but he may need some exercises to do to stretch the muscles back out. My daughter didn't need to, she was able to stretch it almost right away, but she was only 10 months old, so it was only on 3 weeks. She also didn't know to be scared, if that makes sense.

My son broke his elbow last summer. He was seven. He did have some discomfort after his cast was removed. The doctor brought us back after a week to recheck his arm and he told me that elbows in children can be tricky. He said they can easily have damage to the nerve and it is difficult to determine in some cases.

I would have him gently soak it in a warm bath and then try to move it very slowly. If he really resists, or you don't see improvement after a few days, I would have him rechecked.

They didn't give us any exercises (or really what to even expect) :glare:. I'll call them Monday and get these and if we don't see improvement then I'll ask for a PT referral and we'll still keep our follow up appointment with ortho doc.

Thanks to all of you!

My daughter had a broken arm and dislocated elbow from gymnastics, and what I learned from her injury (which varies slightly from your son's) is that there is a window after the cast comes off, during which you have the best chance of regaining full range of motion in the arm. Because my daughter is a gymnast and dancer, she had to have full extension in her arm. I had her stretching that elbow literally from the time we got into the car after the cast came off. I told her my job was to pester her to death until she got her range of motion back, and that she might hate me now but would appreciate it later.

You have received some good advice, but I want to add some urgency to this. Obviously this may not be as critical in your son's case as it was in my daughter's (I think the main culprit for her was the dislocated elbow--her odds of getting full range of motion back were only about 20%). The exercises to regain full extension aren't rocket science--stretch the arm out with the other one; use it normally; carry something heavy around in that hand, holding the arm at your side (this pulls it straight); stretch it after a hot bath, that sort of thing. But in our case, I had to stay on my daughter, but she got her range of motion back relatively quickly.

Terri

One year ago today my son, then 4 and a half broke his arm and dislocated his elbow, he needed surgery.

When the cast was off he took awhile to get use to it being gone, same as you son. But I started seeing improvement after a few days. We did have a dr. Appointment scheduled for two weeks after the cast was removed, to start therapy if needed. I cancelled thatbappointment because by then he was fine. I think it was a month or two after the cast was off he couldn't remember which arm had the cast.

For my son they recommend no therapy if things worked on by themselves. they did warn to make sure he didn't over do himself.

I must say it is nice to live in Ontario Canada. we have a 24hour service where you can call and talk to a nurse about any health related problems such as this.

My daughter broke her elbow when she was 8 (thank you Monkey bars!)

She had two surgeries (it was pinned) and she was in a cast from fingertips to tip of shoulder for 9 weeks.

Her arm/elbow were totally fine when it was removed.

I would not wait 4 weeks and would check in with the doctor before then.

I broke my wrist and bruised my elbow six years ago. I was in physical therapy for six weeks starting a few days after I got the cast off, plus I was in a brace any time I wasn't bathing or exercising it. I know I wouldn't have the range of motion and strength I have in it now if I didn't go.

When I broke it I bruised the ulnar nerve at my elbow (the funny bone), and I couldn't feel the top of my hand or my pinkie for about 6 months. Your son may be having some issues with that, which would make his arm feel weird. Even now, when I hit my funny bone, my arm hurts for about two days.

I would call and ask for a physical therapy referral. You'll probably only need one, maybe two visits. The therapist will evaluate his current range of movement and give you a variety of stretches and exercises to work on at home to rebuild his strength and range of motion.

I broke each arm twice when I was a kid. When the arm has been in the flexed position for a while, the muscles atrophy and can stiffen into one position. It will take time for him to be able to straighten his arm. I would encourage him to try to stretch it a little more each day. It may take up to 2 weeks for him to get full range of motion. I would call the doc when he's in to get more info on what to do between now and the 4 week check. When I had this, the doctors never discussed any rehab. They assumed that active childhood would take care of any rehab. But, I would baby it and never regained full strength in the arm. I do wish they had given us a strengthening program.

I would look for activities that will strengthen the arm without fear of damage. Rock climbing might be a good one.

(I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. Just relaying my experience.)

That is normal is what I have been told as long as it is moved after a week. My son cried when they took his cast off. They said if he refuses to move it after a week then come back and will do Physical Therapy. He moved it after 3 days. This is what I was told by my son's orthopediac dr.

He's moved it. When we MAKE him (he doesn't want to on his on), he'll extend it from the 90 degrees to about 120 degrees but never the straight-out 180 degrees/flat. We've "caught" him with it fully extended (pulling a wagon) but this hasn't been but one or two times.

Youve all been so helpful and I appreciate it.

They didn't give us any exercises (or really what to even expect) :glare:. I'll call them Monday and get these and if we don't see improvement then I'll ask for a PT referral and we'll still keep our follow up appointment with ortho doc.

Thanks to all of you!

I'd also ask if he could do simple arm strengthening things like squeezing a small rubber ball. This would help him to build some muscle without exercising (moving) the elbow joint. I hope you get some good answers.

He's moved it. When we MAKE him (he doesn't want to on his on), he'll extend it from the 90 degrees to about 120 degrees but never the straight-out 180 degrees/flat. We've "caught" him with it fully extended (pulling a wagon) but this hasn't been but one or two times.

Youve all been so helpful and I appreciate it.

It can be surprisingly painful, but working at it for a few minutes at a time is very important. My doctor was surprised but very pleased by my range of motion at my followup appointment. I was diligent about doing the exercises every day.

My son did this for a while, too. We encouraged him to massage it, and offered to massage it for him. Warm baths (especially a salt soak) might also help. It takes a little for the arm to begin to be able to bend properly again, but he can also help it along a little by trying to move it some, even if he uses the other hand to do that.

My son fractured his elbow when he was seven. He had to go to physical therapy a few times because he didn't have a full range of motion. (He didn't have a cast though, but used a very stiff sling instead due to the swelling from surgery and pins.)

Edited by Swirl