Menu

Building Thinking Skills and other purchasing woes - the price! Ahhhh!

I just bought Building Thinking Skills levels 2 and 1. I just have one comment.

It's expensive!!!! :eek: It must be in high demand because the used copies were almost the same price as the new ones. :svengo:

Anyone else in curriculum buying woes right now? I dread the curriculum-buying part of the year. :willy_nilly:

Two more shopping trips and I'm finished!

Spending money on new curriculum products is one of the most enjoyable aspects of hsing for me. I look forward to the new books and all the ways we'll use them. It's like Christmas when the books start coming in the mail. Yes, Building Critical Thinking Skills is expensive, but it seems worth it. I use the Mindbenders and the morality questions, and those ate thin for the money IMO. They are good, though, so I keep buying. I don't mind spending money on education, but any single purchase over $200 certainly makes me nervous, like Muzzy. As long as it works for my kids, though, it's worth it :)

Edited by sagira

Yes, it's been stressful here. This year we've had to replace a transmission, washer and dryer, and stove. We also had some trim ripped off our house in a storm. Normally, it's not a big deal, but this year the money is a little harder to come by! I've sold some things here, and I'm planning to take some others to consign at our local homeschool store. Little by little, it's getting bought.

I just bought Building Thinking Skills also-i think I got it for a few dollars off on amazon. But I think it will be worth it; it's a thick book!

I too enjoy curriculum shopping-it's the only time of year when I don't feel badly about spending money! That said, the only expensive curriculum we'll be using next year is Nancy Larson Science.

I feel your pain. I just bought all our supplemental history books and resources for SOTW 2 next year and it was brutal even with buying quite a bit used. I will love having the books, but I don't like spending the money!!

I think Sonlight wiped me out really bad one year. :D

The Building Thinking Skills books look really, really good. Even my husband (who's like, "We homeschool?" :tongue_smilie:) looked at the samples and thought they looked great.

Guest momk2000

Yes, curriculum woes here! Have the list all finalized, just need the $$$ so I can actually hit that order button.

I just bought Building Thinking Skills levels 2 and 1. I just have one comment.

It's expensive!!!! :eek: It must be in high demand because the used copies were almost the same price as the new ones. :svengo:

Anyone else in curriculum buying woes right now? I dread the curriculum-buying part of the year. :willy_nilly:

Two more shopping trips and I'm finished!

I wanted to say about Critical Thinking Company. Everything in that catalog is expensive. It is nice stuff. I am always tempted to buy everything in the catalog, but it is so not worth the money. I remembered purchasing Mindbenders for $10.00. I thought that it was OK because it would last me for a year. My older son completed Mindbenders A series (that is what it was originally) in three months. I found out from some veteran moms that you only need the one book in the series not all. I just bought one B and one C because it was too much money.

I agree Critical Thinking Company is the pricey catalog. I have to really pray and think hard before I purchase from there.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I must be the only one who didn't like Building Thinking Skills. I did buy it for both my kids but it was more just for busy work that they liked to do; an expensive activity book, if you will.

:001_unsure: I hope it's not busy work for us! The 9 yro tends to like workbooks and they really enjoyed Mind Benders. This kid is also a great standardized test taker (that kind of thing must really click with her - the Perfect Paula thing).

I'll have to post a review after we use it for a while!

I must be the only one who didn't like Building Thinking Skills. I did buy it for both my kids but it was more just for busy work that they liked to do; an expensive activity book, if you will.

:iagree: No, you're not the only one.

The only thing is that Building Thinking Skills level 3 for junior high and high school. The verbal book only! I would highly recommend that! It is outstanding. If you want to wait and just do level 3 verbal, it is worth the wait.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

The only thing is that Building Thinking Skills level 3 for junior high and high school. The verbal book only! I would highly recommend that! It is outstanding. If you want to wait and just do level 3 verbal, it is worth the wait.

Sincerely,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I'm going to google this one. Have you tried Editor in Chief, by any chance? :bigear:

I'm going to google this one. Have you tried Editor in Chief, by any chance? :bigear:

Editor in Chief is not the same thing. I believe Editor in Chief focuses more on grammar, punctuation, etc. Building Thinking Skills level 3 verbal focuses on vocabulary. It does word analogies, analysis of words, synonyms, antanyms, etc. The thing about Building Thinking Skills (that I discovered) is it repeats itself. If your child is older and missed level 1, it's OK. They can pick it up in level 2. Level 3 is two seperate books (talk about expenses). You do verbal and figural, but they devote an entire book to these two topics. That's why I said, if you want to just not purchase anymore and wait to do level 3 verbal, I would do that. I feel that it is like the verbal analysis in the SATs with this one. Just my opinion!

Sincerely,

Karen

Editor in Chief is not the same thing. I believe Editor in Chief focuses more on grammar, punctuation, etc. Building Thinking Skills level 3 verbal focuses on vocabulary. It does word analogies, analysis of words, synonyms, antanyms, etc. The thing about Building Thinking Skills (that I discovered) is it repeats itself. If your child is older and missed level 1, it's OK. They can pick it up in level 2. Level 3 is two seperate books (talk about expenses). You do verbal and figural, but they devote an entire book to these two topics. That's why I said, if you want to just not purchase anymore and wait to do level 3 verbal, I would do that. I feel that it is like the verbal analysis in the SATs with this one. Just my opinion!

Sincerely,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Thanks for all the info! I think I originally saw BTS mentioned in WTM and that's how it ended up on my list. On the sample, it showed the exercises with synonyms and antonyms. :thumbup1:

Yes, it IS expensive. I tried to find used books online, but they were almost the same price as used. I figure I might as well buy the new ones to make sure they were of good quality. I seem to always miss our local curriculum fair, UGH! Oh well, hopefully it will all work for the little one coming behind...