Menu

State Standards and Curriculum

fourcatmom

We belong to a charter home school in California and we are required to follow what state standards for what the children learn in each grade. We can always do more but when I am choosing my curriculum, I have to make sure that all the areas that they would normally cover in that grade our met.

So my question is, how do you do that? I mean one of the things that I appreciate about HSing is that I have the freedom to choose those products that are different and there are so many choices out there.

I have picked the curriculum that I want to use next year but I need to make sure it will teach them the state standards for that grade.

Does anyone else have to do this?

I'm in Ca, and I don't. My ES does have a list and it makes her happy when I hit anything on it..and once in a while she will ask me to try to do something on her list, like have the kids give a presentation.

if this is bugging you, maybe you should look for another charter that is more relaxed.

I don't know if it's bugging me per say, yet but I am confused on how to go about figuring it out. Maybe the curriculum I picked does meet what the PS are teaching. I would think it would exceed it. I think it's just overwhelms me on how to decide. Do I take each statement on the standards for each core subject and then double check on the curriculum to see if it covers it?

I don't know.

Michelle,

It's not as hard as it seems. You just need to get some experience with the language spoken by professional educators.

Here is the link to CA standards for Language Arts for 3rd grade.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/documents/elacontentstnds.pdf

2.1 Use titles, tables of contents, chapter headings, glossaries, and indexes to locate information in text.

This one is pretty straight forward-have your child practice looking things up in a glossary, index, and table of contents. Have child practice reading any graphs or charts found in textbook or other nonfiction book, and look at the headings at the beginning of the chapter and talk about what it the chapter might be about.

2.2 Ask questions and support answers by connecting prior knowledge with literal information found in, and inferred from, the text.

This one isn't quite as straight forward, but still pretty easy to accomplish. Have your child make connections between knowledge they already have mastered with new knowledge with what they are learning now--so for example when learning about proper nouns (new info) discuss the defination of nouns (old info). Also, practice inferring knowledge and perhaps discuss literal information vs. inferred information.

Here is the link to social study standards.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/documents/histsocscistnd.pdf

Looking at third-grade standards, it looks like the focus for the 3rd-grade year in public schools is how the past connects to what is happening today especially in local history and Native Americans in CA.

1. Discuss the importance of public virtue and the role of citizens, including how to participate in a classroom, in the community, and in civic life.

I think this standard is most likely covered in your everyday life. Bring up and discuss how one follows laws (such as following the speed limit). Discuss the rules of getting along with others. Does your child attend a class (such as church or a co op class)? If so, than she most likely knows how to participate in a classroom.

1. Know the histories of important local and national landmarks, symbols, and essential documents that create a sense of community among citizens and exemplify cherished ideals (e.g., the U.S. flag, the bald eagle, the Statue of Liberty, the U.S. Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Capitol).

This is another one that is most likely covered in your everyday life. A simple picture book or two could also cover these topics.

Keep in mind that very few of the standards use the word know. Most start with Discuss or Describe. Describe could be accomplished with by a picture or verbally talking about something. Discuss is just talking. Tracing is also mentioned several times. Tracing would be following the history of something. Connecting the dots so to speak.

I've also found that schools don't spend a ton of time meeting these standards.

Here is a link from the education section of The LA Natural History Musuem: http://www.nhm.org/site/sites/default/files/for_teachers/pdf/nhmla_aom_lessonplans_kindgergarten.pdf

Look at all the standards that are covered by simply visiting the mammal exhibit and looking at one case and completing the simply activities listed on the bottom of the sheet. 5 standards! Most likely in less than an hour of total time.

Hope this helped and was what you were asking. If not, ah well, I liked talking! :001_smile:

Okay, so this is what I have for California standards for 5th grade for History. Of course these are just a few of what is required. I had originally picked the book All American History for my 5th grader but I also really like Mystery of History. I know it has to cover the states though too, so here's where I get hung up a bit.

I am going to do some research and then I will be back to comment on the things I posted.

Okay, so maybe I need to be looking at this curriculum instead

Heritage Studies 5, 3rd Edition, covers American History from the late 1800s to the inauguration of President Obama in 2009. Presented from a Biblical perspective, topics include the invention and influence of the auto and airplane, WWI, Roaring Twenties, Great Depression, WWII, Vietnam War, civil rights struggles, war on terror, Afghanistan and Iraq wars, and immigration decisions. Although the school doesn't cover the cost of anything "religious" in content so it still might not work.

Pardon me if these questions are stupid, I am just new to this and I just need a little help to get started.

1.0 Students describe the major pre-Columbian settlements, including the cliff dwellers and pueblo people of the desert Southwest, the American Indians of the Pacific Northwest, the nomadic nations of the Great Plains, and the woodland peoples of the Mississippi River.

2.1 Describe the entrepreneurial characteristics of early explorers (e.g., Christopher Columbus, Francisco VĂƒÂ¡squez de Coronado) and the technological developments that made sea exploration by latitude and longitude possible (e.g., compass, sextant, astrolabe, seaworthy ships, chronometers, gunpowder).

*3.0 Students describe the cooperation and conflict that existed among the American Indians and between the Indian nations and the new settlers.

*4.0 Students understand the political, religious, social, and economic institutions that evolved in the colonial era.

*5.0 Students explain the cause of the American Revolution.

5.4 Describe the views, lives, and impact of key individuals during this period (e.g., King George III, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams).

*6.0 Students understand the course and consequences of the American Revolution.

6.1 Identify and map the major military battles, campaigns, and turning points of the Revolutionary War, the roles of the American and British leaders, and the Indians’ alliances on both sides.

Edited by fourcatmom

I agree with the other posters. We're with a CA charter school too... in our charter the parents aren't in charge of the state standards part. Our ES is supposed to listen to what we've done, then connect that with the standards. My first ES was expecting me to do that; it took several months before I learned that it wasn't my job. I would ask around or look at the paperwork to make sure it's your job to do that before getting stressed out about it.

Beyond that, it really isn't that hard to meet the state standards. If it really is something you need to make sure you're meeting, then I would probably do something like this: teach what you've planned already. About a week before the end of the semester, take a day to go down the list of standards and make sure they're covered. I did that with Sweetie a while ago and it was hilarious! Most folks using WTM or similar suggestions won't have any trouble at all. In social studies we had to do a little extra, maybe check a book out from the library and read it, but it was no big deal at all.

Also, some curricula can tell you what standards they meet. Our science curriculum has a list of standards it meets with each lesson, for example. Some math curriculum will do this also, which makes it easy for you.

Good luck!

Thank You. It just seems that when I look at the curriculum it doesn't give me so many specifics about it covers, especially online. I spoke with the CT today and she asked me to do this to make sure that what I had picked out would cover Ca standards. I am pretty sure that the other programs I picked will cover everything but the History for 5th grade is throwing me because most of the history seems to be ancient history. I know she has to learn the states and capitals to but that's not too hard to teach.

I have chosen

Teaching Textbooks for math 4 and 5

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey

Zoology (as an extra) - starting with Flying Creatures for both kids

MCT Grammar Island for both 4th and 5th

Writing Tales 1

Hand Writing without Tears

and then for History I like either

Mystery of History or All American History for 5th but I don't know yet if it will cover what I need it to.

for 4th grader I like A Living History of Our World

UPDATE:

I found a detailed review of All American History on Rainbow Resource and it does look like it covers the time lines that CA standards wants for 5th grade. Okay, maybe I am getting the hang of this.

Edited by fourcatmom

Just out of curiosity, how does your charter motivate you to meet the standards? Ours mostly doesn't bother (at least before high school) so I'm curious. FWIW I simply told our ES that we would not be worrying about the social studies standards. We would be studying history, but I wasn't going to cover extra material to make the state happy. She has always been fine with that.

It does look like you're wanting to cover a different era of American history than the state is expecting for 5th grade. Did you cover pre-colonial and colonial times already? If you have, and your kids can already answer those questions, then you're set. If you haven't, and you really must cover the standards, then from what you're describing it sounds like you might want to switch texts (back up a year?).

If you don't want to switch texts but still want to meet the standards, then maybe a trip to the children's section of the library would suit your needs. A nice book on the first Thanksgiving would take care of one of them. Another easy book on early Native peoples would help too, and you could get some of the biographies by d'Aulaire about Washington, Franklin, & Columbus. Or you could assign "Pedro's Journal" by Pam Conrad for reading, and that would do for Columbus. If you're open to them, the Horrible Histories series could probably cover most of what you need easily. Kids seem to like them, so it's easy to assign them periodically. The book on Native Americans was more extensive than I'd expected. The same author has books on the colonies and on the Revolution. We got ours from the library; it's worth a look if this is the direction you want to go in. For stuff like this, I put it in the category of "daily assigned reading". Usually I ask my daughter to read 30min of some classic literature, but now and then I'll branch off and throw in history or science instead. It works out for us.

Good luck!

:)

I don't know that they motivate me to do it but I signed a contract upon entering that I would meet the state standards. It's just a condition of the school. I love the school and they do give you a great budget to use for the year as long as your materials are not religious. I can use them but they won't pay for them. So, it's really helpful to me to have that budget as a resource.

I guess I didn't realize all the qualifications of doing that. We just started HS in January and we used very PS type books to get through the year, like Scott Forseman for math. I have learned so much in the past five months of doing this and I do not want to be HSing with PS materials. We have the opportunity to use all these great resources and I am going to use them, one way or the other. It's probably not as hard as I making it seem right now but this is a new process for me and I just need to get the hang of it.

I do appreciate all the feedback and thank you for not making me feel stupid:tongue_smilie:

Library books are your friends!

1.0 Students describe the major pre-Columbian settlements, including the cliff dwellers and pueblo people of the desert Southwest, the American Indians of the Pacific Northwest, the nomadic nations of the Great Plains, and the woodland peoples of the Mississippi River.

The books If You Lived with the Sioux Indians, If You Lived with the Hopi Indians, If You Lived with the Indians of the Northwest Coast,( and I'm sure you could find one that covered the Mississippi River peoples) would cover the info you need. Then your son could write a paragraph, take notes, color a picture, make a craft, or anything else you decided would interest him and you.

2.1 Describe the entrepreneurial characteristics of early explorers (e.g., Christopher Columbus, Francisco VĂƒÂ¡squez de Coronado) and the technological developments that made sea exploration by latitude and longitude possible (e.g., compass, sextant, astrolabe, seaworthy ships, chronometers, gunpowder).

Again library books (Explorers Who Got Lost) could cover this information or you could even use the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. Have your son read and make an outline or draw pictures of the technological developments.

*3.0 Students describe the cooperation and conflict that existed among the American Indians and between the Indian nations and the new settlers.

*4.0 Students understand the political, religious, social, and economic institutions that evolved in the colonial era.

If you Lived in Colonial Times would cover both of the above standards.

*5.0 Students explain the cause of the American Revolution.

5.4 Describe the views, lives, and impact of key individuals during this period (e.g., King George III, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams).

*6.0 Students understand the course and consequences of the American Revolution.

6.1 Identify and map the major military battles, campaigns, and turning points of the Revolutionary War, the roles of the American and British leaders, and the Indians’ alliances on both sides.

American Revolution for Kids or If You Lived During the American Revolution would cover all of the above standards.

If you decided to use All American History and it is an approved book by your charter, than most likely it covers all of the standards. If you decide to go ahead and study a different time period, the books listed above (or any other similiar ones you find at the library) should make it pretty easy to add in the standards without a large time investment.

Also, look at what musuems or field trips you could add in. I've found that most museums have a section on their websites for educators that list the standards that are met with a visit.

Edited by missmoe

See, and that's one of the many reasons I encourage people not to public-school-at-home through a charter school. Private homeschooling gives the freedom to do it any way you want; public-school-at-home does not.

I just have to ask how this comment is in anyway helpful? This is a new homeschooling mom trying to do her best who should not be put in the position of having to defend her choices to you.

Edited by missmoe

If you think this seems like the right charter school for you, give it a go for a year to see exactly how strict they are about keeping you in lock-step with stds. The charter we use is completely hands-off. I've been able to use pretty much any curriculum I want, as long as it is not overtly religious. Yes, we need to sign a similar contract to the one you mention. However, you'd be surprised at how most curricula out there meets CA standards.

I was personally most worried about science, as we are doing the WTM rotation of one science area per year, and CA likes to see the three different areas each year. Nonetheless, the sciences are so integrated that a lot of the time, one can't address one area without also addressing another. For an example off the top of my head, in earth science, we discuss mass, density and even the chemical makeup of different types of rocks. Great -- we have done both physical and earth science today! So, you can be somewhat creative and still meet the standards. Have you seen the STAR test for 5th grade science? If you do science the WTM way, you will have covered a lot more than the topics on that test.

If, at the end of the first semester, you feel this charter is too intrusive in terms of their requirements, start looking for another charter that is less so. I don't know where you live, but there seem to be a lot of charters to choose from in most areas of CA.

I used to teach in California (although I've been fortunate not to have to homeschool there). The expectations for history tend to be rather overboard in the way they are worded, but when you look at the texts that they have approved, they are often much, much simpler than they sound. For instance I taught 6th grade and one of the standards was about Queen Hatshepsut, the approved texts that we used at our school (2 over the time I was teacher), each had a total of one paragraph on her, and that was considered meeting the standard. Often the technical wording of the standards makes it sound like there is much more needed than there really is. I think you'll find the vast majority of curriculums will cover almost all if not all of the standards. The easiest way to keep track of it all is to write or print out each of the standards, and then write the dates that you cover those topics next to them. If you come near the end of the year and have missed something, go check out a library book on it or take a field trip if it's something that can be seen locally. Try not to be too hard about what covers a standard (quite frankly, most public schoolers don't even do history in 5th grade, despite what the state says)for instance:

They basically want your child to understand that there were people here before Columbus arrived, and that the people living here had a variety of cultures and ways of life. This is probably one that you are most likely to run into trouble finding info on I would guess, but you could so easily check out a library book on each of those groups and complete this in less than a week. In California you could even take a field trip to learn about the pueblo people, as there are numerous resources around the state.

The Key is to remember that you can always supplement with library books too, just keep record of what you use and how you cover the standard.

I hope this helps, I'm afraid I may be saying this about as clear as mud. If you can get your hands on one of the state approved text books, just to look at for a day or two, I would recommend it, I think you'll see that it isn't as hard to cover as you might think.

What I do, not for a charter, but for my own peace of mind, is to print out my state's standards for DD's grade, and then, about once a month, go through and check off everything she's exhibited. That way, if it turns out that she's missing something entirely, I know it's there and can decide if it's important or not. And so far (admittedly, she's only 6), it turns out that they're fairly easy to meet just by what we're doing anyway. Even social studies, which doesn't at ALL match our history cycles turns out to mostly be things that were covered in other areas-a lot of the literature books we read and talked about turned out to also meet social studies standards, for example.

In talking to my mother, she did the same thing when I was a girl scout-she'd keep an eye on the badges book, and mark off the skills when I'd demonstrated them. Then, when I wanted to do a specific badge, we'd go through the book and fill in gaps. I'd completely forgotten, if I ever knew, that she did that, but it helps to explain why I have a really, really full sash in my memories box :).

See, and that's one of the many reasons I encourage people not to public-school-at-home through a charter school. Private homeschooling gives the freedom to do it any way you want; public-school-at-home does not.

I am not a confrontational person by nature but I have to say that this comment did upset me. I choose to "charter school" for reasons that pertain to my family and what my family needs and frankly I have been very happy with our experience, including the field trips, the teachers, the support and the financial contribution that they provide. I am NOT trying to public school at home, which is what this whole tread is about. If I were going to do that, I would sign up for all the recommended materials that our charter offers that they already know cover all the ca standards and have pacing guides and kits all set up for me to purchase....that's not what I want and that is why I have posed these questions. This would be a very easy way for me to HS my children and for my life but HSing them is about their life and our life together.

Obviously as a member of this board I am committed and interested in providing my children with a different kind of education as that's why I am submerging myself within it to learn and hopefully to choose the best possible and most creative curriculum that I can provide for next year.

It would have been very easy to not put myself out there and ask these questions but I care about my children and I care about their eduction..that's why I am here.

I did attend a Park Day with our charter today and I was very encouraged with how others explained how you can work around the standards as well. I think I have a clearer grasp on it now and it seems that History and Science are the two areas that I will focus on for now.

Thank you everyone for your help as I embark on this new journey. I am extremely excited about this coming year and all the wonderful resources that are available to us.

I think I have a clearer grasp on it now and it seems that History and Science are the two areas that I will focus on for now.

I would concentrate more on trying to meet the standards for science for you 5th grader because the California state standards test (CST) assesses science only in 5th grade. If your kids have to take the CST through your charter school then the charter school will probably be more concerned with science than social studies because social studies is not assessed until 8th grade. (Before 8th grade, science is only assessed in 5th grade).

I wanted to add that California and around 42 other states have adopted the Common Core Standards for Math and English Language Arts. So over the next three years California's standards will change, so don't start planning how to meet California standards too far in advance.

I hope you will keep posting on the benefits/ details of the homeschool charter. I live in California as well and it something I am interested in too. I contacted a homeschool charter and I can't remember if they said they alloted 1600 dollars either per per child or for two children (I have two kids) that can be spent on curriculum and activities such as swim classes. Is that how yours works? Would you be willing to mention how much money you are alloted? I have two kids and that being able to buy between 1600 dollars to 3200 dollars a year on curriculum and activities would be helpful.

Miss Moe,

your posts were so detailed and helpful, wow! You really broke it all down. :001_smile:

I am in two pretty relaxed charters, so I don't really think too hard about the standards, except for Science for my Jr. higher- I do have a workbook that covers the standards and this makes my ES happy. For the rest, like others have said, it is really really easy to cover them without realizing it- just by doing your normal,interesting, homeschool studies. And yes, the standards use some high-sounding language and make it sound all mysterious, but really, it's basic learning..I'm not impressed.

High School is a different kettle of fish, we did pull our oldest out for 9th grade, but then I found a charter that was more willing to work with what we wanted to do.

I don't public school at home, we are more a living books type of homeschool family. using a charter is what works well for our family.

if anyone in Ca has questions about how the two charters I use, work, funds, materials, samples, etc, I love to chat- email or pm me.

Hen Jen,

I'm glad my post were helpful. I've homeschooled as a private school and with a charter school in CA and worked with an independent study program through our school district. Different things work with different kids at different times.

The critisms about utilizing different resources simply drive me up the wall. I feel that as homeschoolers, we should be supporting all different educational choices.

I hope you will keep posting on the benefits/ details of the homeschool charter. I live in California as well and it something I am interested in too. I contacted a homeschool charter and I can't remember if they said they alloted 1600 dollars either per per child or for two children (I have two kids) that can be spent on curriculum and activities such as swim classes. Is that how yours works? Would you be willing to mention how much money you are alloted? I have two kids and that being able to buy between 1600 dollars to 3200 dollars a year on curriculum and activities would be helpful.

For the past 3 years, for an elementary school child, we've been allotted $900 per semester. That's subject to change depending on the state budget, but it has been consistent thus far.

We've used ours for French lessons & curricula, art supplies, Waldorf & Montessori materials, math curricula (Singapore and Right Start), items from Peace Hill Press (SOTW, FLL, & WWE), science items, maps, and more art supplies. I have friends who have also used the money for gymnastics, nature, math, writing, aikido, and swimming classes. Next year we might also do ice skating, depending on how much we get.

And I must say, I feel totally spoiled in all this. By local standards we're on the low-income end, and there is no way we could've bought any of the things we've gotten without the charter school. I feel so so so so so lucky.

Hen Jen,

Different things work with different kids at different times.

The critisms about utilizing different resources simply drive me up the wall. I feel that as homeschoolers, we should be supporting all different educational choices.

Exactly, this.

I think homeschool groups, particularly Christian groups do a disservice by painting parents who do not do homeschooling in a "pure" way -or the way they think it should be done- as less than. In my opinion, it divides homeschoolers and makes us weaker. Just the thoughts from my own experiences..

Edited by Hen Jen
spelling

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Exactly, this.

I think homeschool groups, particularly Christian groups do a disservice by painting parents who do not do homeschooling in a "pure" way -or the way they think it should be done- as less than. In my opinion, it divides homeschoolers and makes us weaker. Just the thoughts from my own experiences..

Now who is stereotyping and being intolerant?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I used to teach in California (although I've been fortunate not to have to homeschool there). The expectations for history tend to be rather overboard in the way they are worded, but when you look at the texts that they have approved, they are often much, much simpler than they sound. For instance I taught 6th grade and one of the standards was about Queen Hatshepsut, the approved texts that we used at our school (2 over the time I was teacher), each had a total of one paragraph on her, and that was considered meeting the standard. Often the technical wording of the standards makes it sound like there is much more needed than there really is. I think you'll find the vast majority of curriculums will cover almost all if not all of the standards. The easiest way to keep track of it all is to write or print out each of the standards, and then write the dates that you cover those topics next to them. If you come near the end of the year and have missed something, go check out a library book on it or take a field trip if it's something that can be seen locally. Try not to be too hard about what covers a standard (quite frankly, most public schoolers don't even do history in 5th grade, despite what the state says)for instance:

They basically want your child to understand that there were people here before Columbus arrived, and that the people living here had a variety of cultures and ways of life. This is probably one that you are most likely to run into trouble finding info on I would guess, but you could so easily check out a library book on each of those groups and complete this in less than a week. In California you could even take a field trip to learn about the pueblo people, as there are numerous resources around the state.

The Key is to remember that you can always supplement with library books too, just keep record of what you use and how you cover the standard.

I hope this helps, I'm afraid I may be saying this about as clear as mud. If you can get your hands on one of the state approved text books, just to look at for a day or two, I would recommend it, I think you'll see that it isn't as hard to cover as you might think.

Actually, it's very easy to homeschool in CA. One is only monitored by the government if they choose to be.

If you all don't mind me jumping in (a bit off topic)...

I also live in California and do the private school choice for homeschool. Why do so many belong to a charter? I am a newbie, so be nice...but what am I missing. I have looked in my area (Los Angeles) but haven't seemed to find a charter school I could belong to anyways. I guess it seems like I would have to pay in order for someone else to keep records that I can keep myself and then they are picky about curricula too?

I don't want to take over this thread...so you can tell me to start a new post or PM if you'd like to give me some tips!!

Another question: What do we need to save? Workbooks, worksheets, ALL of her Math Mammoth work?

THANK YOU!!

Actually, it's very easy to homeschool in CA. One is only monitored by the government if they choose to be.

Why would one want to be monitored by the government? I have heard lots of OH, you have to homeschool in California?!! But, I really don't see it as that big of a deal. We have to register our child and then that's that. And I hope for no one to be knocking on my door, a little paranoid. :D

If you all don't mind me jumping in (a bit off topic)...

I also live in California and do the private school choice for homeschool. Why do so many belong to a charter? I am a newbie, so be nice...but what am I missing. I have looked in my area (Los Angeles) but haven't seemed to find a charter school I could belong to anyways. I guess it seems like I would have to pay in order for someone else to keep records that I can keep myself and then they are picky about curricula too?

I don't want to take over this thread...so you can tell me to start a new post or PM if you'd like to give me some tips!!

Another question: What do we need to save? Workbooks, worksheets, ALL of her Math Mammoth work?

THANK YOU!!

I am also a newbie here and to HSing as we just started in January. I had friends who had been though this particular charter where we are enrolled and they had wonderful experiences. I think I always knew though that if the opportunity presented itself to me, that was just something that I liked. I have the benefit of having a CT (credentialed teacher) who supports me, supports my children, guides me and in general oversees that we are doing okay and yes, part of that is meeting the ca standards. I am beginning to understand that in itself is not a huge part of what they do but I was momentarily overwhelmed by it. I also LOVE the financial component to it. It allows me to purchase or for them to participate in activities that they would otherwise not be able to do. The charter school also offers classes where they can be around other kids for a short period of time and learn something that I might not be teaching. They also have field trips and a lot of great resources for us to tap into. My kids are doing Horseback Riding, Theater, Piano, Guitar, Singing and hopefully soon Fencing as well. This is possible through their budget. I also find that it helps me to get to know other HS families in my area and I that's been very helpful for us to make new friends.

That's just my take on charters and why it works for us. I think that each family has to decide what is right for them.

I also found all the information very helpful and very detailed. I am glad that there is a place where I can share information and learn from more experienced parents.

Edited by fourcatmom

Now who is stereotyping and being intolerant?

Well, I am a Christian- and so I've looked to join Christian mom's night outs and park days and was turned away...so, I don't think I'm being intolerant, I did note in my post that this was my opinion and my experience.

The very big Christian homeschool convention encourages groups to exclude homeschool charter school families, I have seen this with my own eyes while attending this convention. My point was that it makes us weaker- and yeah, as a Christian, looking for Christian friends, it does hurt.

sorry if you felt stereotyped, but it is my observation and experience. The inclusive, secular park day has been much more friendly.

THANK YOU!!

This charter school might be in your area: http://www.skymountaincs.org/

Bluntly, we're with a charter school for the money. I'm not worried about the record keeping, and most of my curriculum choices are secular anyway. Our charter's policies shift once a child starts high school; at that point it is unlikely that we'll stay with the charter. There will be too many hoops to jump through at that point. But for now, the money is worth it for our family.

I don't know what folks who file PSAs save. I turn in 5 or 6 samples for each broad subject every year (English, math, science, social studies, and "other", which might be PE, art, French, etc.). I don't keep the workbooks and worksheets.

Have fun looking!

sorry if my post swung this discussion in another direction...I do want to point out that I did not at all use the words "intolerant" or "stereotyped" in my 1st post as I think I was accused of. My words were "disservice" and "divides"- mild words chosen on purpose by me so as not to inflame.

I apologize to the OP for being the cause of this thread going in an unpleasant direction...sorry, I should have known better.

Anyways, back to some of the questions in the first few posts, we use a charter for both the accountability and for the funds for materials/classes. I am a procrastinator by nature, it really, really helps me to know I have a meeting each month and that I need to make sure we are on target to finish all our learning areas. We did school my 9th grader through an umbrella school for 1 year, and it stressed me out- the whole grades/transcripts/paperwork. I prefer having the charter school take care of that part. For someone more organized than me, the paperwork would probably not be a big deal.

Our ES is supposed to listen to what we've done, then connect that with the standards.

When we homeschooled in CA -- I miss my ES!! -- she was great about doing this. Btw, I thankfully went through two ES people before I found a dream ES. So if you're not thrilled w/ your ES, hold out for a good one. It's the only way we can vote and help the system bring on great people for us and our kids.

My .02: those are some pretty big words that the standards are using. Ex: "discuss" and "describe." Give me a break. The teachers want to make things look super lofty.

Don't let those words produce anxiety.

The ES will make all the difference in your situation.

Enjoy CA! I LOVE our new state, but I dearly miss the homeschool situation in CA.

Alley

Well, I am a Christian- and so I've looked to join Christian mom's night outs and park days and was turned away...so, I don't think I'm being intolerant, I did note in my post that this was my opinion and my experience.

The very big Christian homeschool convention encourages groups to exclude homeschool charter school families, I have seen this with my own eyes while attending this convention. My point was that it makes us weaker- and yeah, as a Christian, looking for Christian friends, it does hurt.

sorry if you felt stereotyped, but it is my observation and experience. The inclusive, secular park day has been much more friendly.

Yes, I don't get this! We'll likely join a home-based charter school here in CA, and when I told my homeschooling friend about our decision, she informed me that her support group's position is to not allow home-based charter schooling families to join the group. Why in the world not? It's not as if these groups are holding academic meetings or going over curricula --they're park days and mom's night out, and once a year brunches, for crying out loud. As homeschoolers, we'd really appreciate the social time with other families, I know my kids would love to get that regular social interaction, and I can't figure out why Christian groups are being exclusive this way, to fellow Christians! Quite upsetting.

Yes, I don't get this! We'll likely join a home-based charter school here in CA, and when I told my homeschooling friend about our decision, she informed me that her support group's position is to not allow home-based charter schooling families to join the group. Why in the world not? It's not as if these groups are holding academic meetings or going over curricula --they're park days and mom's night out, and once a year brunches, for crying out loud. As homeschoolers, we'd really appreciate the social time with other families, I know my kids would love to get that regular social interaction, and I can't figure out why Christian groups are being exclusive this way, to fellow Christians! Quite upsetting.

I am very sorry you were treated this way. I posted in another thread my family's position and why we choose not to belong to a charter school, but I stressed that these were our personal convictions and explained why we feel this way. Fellowship with other Christians should not depend on how you choose to educate your children. I do not believe that Christian homeschool groups should be exclusive. It is not edifying.