Menu

placement for algebra

Hi, I have 2 kids (going into 7th and 8th) that placed into the Saxon algebra instead of prealgebra. I am not a math person, and I dont know if I should actually let them skip prealgebra or not. They are not super mathy, but they did do the problems correctly on the placement.

Also, I am not actually planning on using Saxon, probably either Lials or Chalkdust. what are your thoughts on letting them skip prealgebra. They are coming from Math Mammoth. Thanks!

Tina in SC

I really don't think pre-algebra is always a necessary course. We've only used pre-algebra with one of my three older kids. And I really don't think he needed it skill wise, but rather he needed it confidence wise.

Having said that I wouldn't place your children in any algebra course based on the Saxon placement test except Saxon.

Different publishers sometimes cover different skills at different levels. Does Lials or Chalkdust have a placement test your kids could take?

I would spend the summer going over any prealgebra concepts that are not covered in MM6. There are not many. I don't think the author intended MM6 to be a sufficient pre-algebra, but it appears that a lot of the same topics may be covered, just not all of them. Square roots and the Pythagorean Theorem are the main topics that I believe are missing, plus I'd probably do extra practice with variables in equations.

My advice would be to get a prealgebra text, such as Lial's, and see if there are any topic they don't know. Incidentally, I recently ordered Lial's prealgebra and a few other random prealgebra texts (Holt, etc.) used/very cheap, to take a look and figure out what they cover that MM hasn't. It's not quite the same as looking at a TOC, if you know what I mean. I'm still planning a year of prealgebra.

Hi, I have 2 kids (going into 7th and 8th) that placed into the Saxon algebra instead of prealgebra. I am not a math person, and I dont know if I should actually let them skip prealgebra or not. They are not super mathy, but they did do the problems correctly on the placement.

Also, I am not actually planning on using Saxon, probably either Lials or Chalkdust. what are your thoughts on letting them skip prealgebra. They are coming from Math Mammoth. Thanks!

Tina in SC

I might let the older student try out Algebra, but would be inclined to put the younger in a good Pre-Algebra course. Maybe... I don't know your student though. Do they both have the discipline to work those longer periods of time higher math requires just now?

Did they both just complete MM 6B?

yes, they are both finishing up MM6B right now. My son, who is actually 17 mo. younger than my dd, is actually better at sitting and thinking through the math. How much time "should" we anticipate on higher math?

yes, they are both finishing up MM6B right now. My son, who is actually 17 mo. younger than my dd, is actually better at sitting and thinking through the math. How much time "should" we anticipate on higher math?

Keep in mind, that different scopes and sequences will produce different results. Your children may be perfectly ready for Saxon Algebra 1 after Math Mammoth, but they may need more time to complete it.

We have built an hour into our schedule for math each day. My oldest is starting Algebra 1 using Foersters and Life of Fred and I also have AoPS to see if he'll "play" with it -- not part of his plan. Because of his age, I am anticipating it taking us anywhere from 18-24 months to complete Foersters and Fred (of course, he could surprise me, too!)

I think an hour through Algebra 2... beyond that it may be more like 1.5 hours, or even 2.