Menu

Rainbow Rock CD compatibility?

KathyBC

In Windows 7 (Vista has this option too, but the path to it might be different), go Start -> Control Panel -> Programs -> Run programs from previous versions of Windows. Follow the prompts and install it on a previous version (check the box). I have gotten all my MSB to work this way on Vista and Windows 7 os. Somtimes I have to mess around with different settings and try again, but it does work out eventually.

I am downloading Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC and will let you know if I am able to run Rainbow Rock with these three components. I am running Windows 7. (Even if it's a giant download, if it works, I will be happier than the ancient machine as my only option.)

Trying the compatibility thing did not work for me. Maybe I did it incorrectly, but I did it both manually AND with their assistant thing, using various systems.

Yeah, so after spending forever getting the file to actually download instead of stalling out, I get an error message that I can't run Windows XP. From the FAQs:

Why is Windows XP Mode not available in Windows 7 Home Premium?

Windows XP Mode is best suited for older business and productivity applications such as accounting, inventory, and similar applications. Windows XP Mode is not aimed at consumers because many consumer applications require extensive use of hardware interfaces, such as 3-D graphics, audio, and TV tuners, that do not work well under virtualization today.

So I am really not sure what to do.

• 2 months later...

Singapore math is really clear that it won't work with Vista or windows 7

http://www.singaporemath.com/CD_ROM_Rainbow_Rock_Grades_1_2_p/cd1.htm

Someone here said their DH did something to a computer that allowed it to run all their old games, but I don't know what that is.

Too bad because I really, really like those CDs. We own all of them and my younger child really wants to play them. We still do have a computer that will run them, but it is dying.