Menu

All my cats are sneezing! What's wrong with them?

So it might not be a big surprise but I have 4 cats! Anyhow, in the past day or two they have all been sneezing and I mean sneezing! This is def. something new and it's affecting all of them. Are they sick? Nothing in their diet or routine has changed and we have been noticing it for about a day or so, maybe two.

Any ideas?

My cats have caught colds before and then passed them around to each other. They were sneezing and snuffling for a few days, possibly even a week or two, and then they were fine. Here is a handy dandy flyer from cat care about colds and cats: http://www.catcare.com/publications/oc-register-112309.pdf

I think they can have serious health issues that can be indicated by sneezing but I doubt they would all be stricken at the same time.

Good luck and I hope your kitties feel better soon!

I have a cat that sneezes a lot. He also has a lot of eye discharge. I had two different vets tell me he had an upper respiratory infection that needed antibiotics. Perhaps that's what's ailing your cats?

For mine, it turned out that neither course of antibiotics did a thing for him, and now over 10 years later, he still sneezes all the time and still has constant eye drainage. We've assumed that he has year-round allergies. He's a weird cat in so many ways.

They are allergic to you? I don't have any answers. That was the first thing that popped into my head.:001_smile:

That belongs in the funny question and answer thread...too funny.

Luckily it's not true...I would be heartbroken. Maybe it's my DH? :tongue_smilie:

By the way...does the D in DH stand for ?

Edited by fourcatmom

A brief look-up of that and you may be correct. He had an episode when he was younger of mouth ulcers. Because the vets kept charging us tons of money for exams and medicines that didn't help, we gave up. He's never gotten worse...just the sneezing and eye discharge. Our other cats have never shown symptoms of contracting it from him.

I'll look into it more later.

it's probably a herpes virus. It is contaigous. But it also remains dormant in the system, so if one was exposed as a kitten they would harbor it, and if they got stressed a bit they would break with it, passing it to the others. Not a big deal as long as they are eating and drinking ok.

My cats have gone through that a few times. I just assumed it was a kitty cold- it normally goes away in a week or so.

This year however, it turned into pink eye on one of my cats. It is not fun treating a cat for pink eye! Humans can not get pink eye from cats but it is very contagious to the other cats. We went through two months of treating 3 of the 4 cats for pink eye! NOT FUN!

Our vet did suggest giving the cats Lysine- it is a supplement that is supposed to help boost their immune system. The vet carried a gel for fairly cheap (maybe $10) so I tried it. I would put some on their paws and they would lick it off. Pet stores might also carry Lysine. It's worth looking into!

My two cats do this often. Now they just start sneezing. Nothing else added to it. Well one gets some watery eyes sometimes, but other than that nothing. I just figure they have an allergy of some sort or a slight cold and get over it.