Menu

A question :)

I am not a classical homeschooler; however, I registered because I am finding your forum to always be coming up when I google about homeschooling my special needs dyslexic son. I finally registered because I am searching for more support information on his needs!

Is it okay for me to be posting here? I will be respectful to others opinions. I actually enjoy the classical books we use in our HS but we are very relaxed, eclectic schoolers :)

Thank you

Jodi

I am not a classical homeschooler; however, I registered because I am finding your forum to always be coming up when I google about homeschooling my special needs dyslexic son. I finally registered because I am searching for more support information on his needs!

Is it okay for me to be posting here? I will be respectful to others opinions. I actually enjoy the classical books we use in our HS but we are very relaxed, eclectic schoolers :)

Thank you

Jodi

There are all flavors of homeschoolers here. :)

Welcome to the Hive :D

I'm new, too. I like to call our style "Classical Un-Schooling"...DS likes the ring to it!! When we manage to do HS, it's classically based, but when DS isn't there, we hit the interest-based, child-lead learning for a bit until he's ready to jump back in with a ready and cooperative brain.

I think, from what I have already read in this forum, you could call yourself "Flying Purple People Readers" and no one would even blink!

I get really intimidated sometimes, when I read about what other HSers are doing (in those nifty tag lines in the signatures..where they list 14 types of curriculum for each of their ducklings)...and then I remember that they don't do THAT every day....silly me!

I have already found a group of moms of only children here....I really thought I was the only one in the whole world! Just the fact that there's someone else like me out there makes me smile and feel encouraged!

I'm sure when I dig deeper..I'll find some moms of little 10 year old boys who would rather never do school and play sports and forts all day.....I can't wait to talk with those gals!! My son has a processing speed delay...I'm sure I'll find some moms of those kids here, too.

I think this is the Noah's Ark of the Homeschooling Community...where everyone is respectful and the rules are enforced. I love the fact that the ACTUAL person after whom I *TRY* and model our basic HS style is on this forum and checks in periodically...to even answer some of our questions! That's cool!!

Good luck connecting with good support here! I'm sure you'll find it! : )

I'm not a classical homeschooler either, I just play one on...Well, I guess I don't do that either. :)

We do some classical stuff like imitation writing and Latin and I love the Classical ladies for the curriculum they introduce me to but I have no idea whether my kids are in the logic stage or the grammar stage and I have never read WTM (SOTW yes but not WTM).

There's something about a Classical board though that sort of seems to welcome all types.

When I subscribe to threads - I'm not getting emails...anyone know why? : (

Subscribing just means that they show up under "Subscribed threads" when you click on "Quick Links." I don't know how to receive them as emails, but I'm sure someone else does :001_smile:

Thank you

Jodi

Welcome! You'll likely find lost of help on the Special Needs boards as well :001_smile: