Menu

Cloth Diaper Question

Yes. It's cheaper (even with the nicer diapers, added up over the cost of years of disposables & Pull-ups), and cloth diapers have resale value. (Sounds weird to some people, but there is a large resale market as they certainly can be used for multiple children.) And cloth diapered kids often potty train earlier since they can feel they are wet. Bonus!

Yes, and if you get good quality ones, you can recoup a good percentage of what you spent on them. I am saving mine for my uber-green sister when she has a baby in the next couple years, and I have blessed some moms in need with some, but I could easily resell them on diaper swappers or hyena cart if I were so inclined. :001_smile:

No.

I'm sorry. I just can't see it. I couldn't see it way back when I was expecting dd. I'm all for attachment parenting, breastfeeding, homeschooling, organic food eating, and fair trade marketing. But no, I'm not into cloth diapering. At. All.

I did and it was definitely worth it. They have great resale value.

Very big fan of cloth diapering!

Ewww. Yuck.

See, I can't buy regular clothing at Good-will because someone else has excreted bodily fluids on by sweating or whatever. ( I don't care how many times it is washed or what kind of detergent it is washed in.) I certainly can't wear someone else's unders, socks or bras. There is no way I'd let my brand new baby wear some other baby's underwear that has been previously peed and pooped in.

Yes. I bought a whole stash of organic prefolds and Bummis covers when pregnant with my toddler and it cost me about $130. That's only a couple months, at best, of disposables. And even if I wanted to go with a fitted option, I could do that for maybe $300 (thinking Motherease One-size, which are great diapers!). Still much, much less than disposables.

I would, but I would likely be more picky/frugal about what I chose. Even though if you go with popular brands you can resell them as others have stated.

Considering the cost of disposables and how often my kids need to be changed, even with the expensive diapers I'd more then make my money back only diapering one in cloth let alone the diapers that have lasted to number 3.

Yes. For reasons already listed. If you do it right, it's still cheaper than disposables. Plus you can buy used diapers (recommended for the newborn/extra small/small sizes), and you can sell them once the baby has out grown them.

Yes, this. Almost all my cuter stuff was used. :001_smile:

Yes, definitely.

You can save lots of money or a little bit of money, depending on what you use. But it will be more comfy for the baby, and I actually think it is less hassle (once you are used to the routine). What's another load of laundry?

You can buy some used diapers to start...and often, you can get like new diapers from mamas who tried CDs but didn't like it for whatever reason. I know some people may be grossed out by buying used diapers, but of course you are going to wash them! ;) And we all wore everyone else's dipes back in the 70s, the infamous diaper service diapers. Anyway, YMMV but I am all about reduce, reuse, recycle. :)

Yes. It's cheaper (even with the nicer diapers, added up over the cost of years of disposables & Pull-ups), and cloth diapers have resale value. (Sounds weird to some people, but there is a large resale market as they certainly can be used for multiple children.) And cloth diapered kids often potty train earlier since they can feel they are wet. Bonus!

Yes.:iagree:

I cloth diapered my youngest knowing that she would be the last and don't regret it one bit.

Jean's female product thread made me think of it.

Well, speaking of female products... I cut down my infant sized prefolds (which we used with our youngest for a very, very short time) and made them into mama cloth. I used another pad as a pattern, had a friend serge them for me, then used my snap setter to add snaps. Very cheap, easy option that made the cloth diapers an even more frugal option.

I Cloth Diapered my last, not expecting anymore and I am still iffy on it. It is the only thing that comes close to the stress of curriculum choices for me. There are sooooo many options, from super-cheap to $30 + dollars per diaper. As passionate as mamas feel about how they homeschool, some feel just as passionate about how they cloth diaper. I ended up spending quite a bit of money before finding what worked for me. Then, at around one, we (DH, especially) couldn't stand the smell anymore. Their urine and poos get so stinky beginning around 12-18 months. In the morning, DS's whole room would smell like urine, even with the best night time system. The pail would reak and half my downstairs would smell, even though I washed every 2 days. No matter how careful I was, I always had washing issues and stains. DH finally said...no more. It was a love/hate relationship for me. At about 13 months old, I switched to Earth's Best Diapers, Amazon Mom/Subscribe and Save for $25/case - free shipping. I have also earned lots of free Amazon Prime months by signing up for Amazon Mom and buying diapers there. If I was to have another, I don't even think I would attempt the CD route, even though I was sold on it for a while. Just my two cents.

Yes, because if they are in good shape you can always sell them and make back some of the money. Plus I love them, lol. And they are certainly less expensive than disposables. The cheapest way is flats and covers, but if you want pockets Sunbaby Pockets are only 5 dollars each, about. They stiching isn't quite as nice, but should last through one kid without a problem. I actually bought mine without the inserts and stuff them with flats just because I think they leak less.

I Cloth Diapered my last, not expecting anymore and I am still iffy on it. It is the only thing that comes close to the stress of curriculum choices for me. There are sooooo many options, from super-cheap to $30 + dollars per diaper. As passionate as mamas feel about how they homeschool, some feel just as passionate about how they cloth diaper. I ended up spending quite a bit of money before finding what worked for me. Then, at around one, we (DH, especially) couldn't stand the smell anymore. Their urine and poos get so stinky beginning around 12-18 months. In the morning, DS's whole room would smell like urine, even with the best night time system. The pail would reak and half my downstairs would smell, even though I washed every 2 days. No matter how careful I was, I always had washing issues and stains. DH finally said...no more. It was a love/hate relationship for me. At about 13 months old, I switched to Earth's Best Diapers, Amazon Mom/Subscribe and Save for $25/case - free shipping. I have also earned lots of free Amazon Prime months by signing up for Amazon Mom and buying diapers there. If I was to have another, I don't even think I would attempt the CD route, even though I was sold on it for a while. Just my two cents.

Just an FYI, we had the same problem until we used Tide. In fact, I went to Big Lots and bought two more giant boxes of the original because I like it better than the new ultra for getting out diaper stink. She is 16 months now and the only time her room smells is when I'm babysitting my niece, who wears disposables. All those cloth diaper friendly detergents are great, except they don't actually work, lol.

Well, I planned on cloth diapering my first (not knowing if I would have more than one), but it turned out he *hated* them (as soon as he peed, he'd start screaming and would be so worked up by the time I got him to the changing table, it would take 10 minutes to get him calmed down). I found out later, as a toddler that he had some sensory issues. So I guess I'd caution someone that you may spend a lot of money on the cloth diapers and not be able to use them. . .:glare:

I used biodegradeable disposable inserts with diaper covers for my first, for a few months--hated the covers, as they really leaked. Switched to a diaper service--no water in the pail, fresh clean diapers every week, sooo nice!

We ended up having 3 kids in cloth, using prefolds and pins/vinyl pants, for the most part. Worked great for us.

We used some disposables (even some regular disposies), but cloth was well worth it.

I did some cloth with my first two and fully converted to cloth with baby #8. However after CD'ing for almost 6 months, then she is back in disposables and has been cooing and smiling since then -literally. She has sensitive skin and while she had diaper burn right before I switched to cloth, then she got open wounds on and off from the cloth. Even with changes more frequently than every hour. Even with me giving her any kind of cloth. I also washed every two days or less and while I could stand the smell left, then I did not care for the slight smell dd had around her most of the time -but then I am very sensitive to smell...

Main point for me is that we'll do the disposables until she gets a bad rash and then we'll use cloth, but for now she has just healed and has been smiling for several days.

Yes, I would and will be. I've cloth diapered all my kids off/on through babyhood (using some disposibles as well). I've always sold off what doesn't fit anymore to help fund bigger diapers. So, it has been like starting over each time. This maybe our last baby too, so no need to keep the outgrown ones this time either.

I've probably spent way more than I should have for nb and some small diapers, but hey, I like 'em!

If you went with prefolds and covers OR you used one-size diapers, then yes, it would be worth it.

There are lots of companies that allow you to try cloth diapers for a period of time for a fee---and they allow you to apply that fee to your order. Jillian's Drawers has the best trial program, imo, both for the way that it works & the diapers that are offered.

Just an FYI, we had the same problem until we used Tide. In fact, I went to Big Lots and bought two more giant boxes of the original because I like it better than the new ultra for getting out diaper stink. She is 16 months now and the only time her room smells is when I'm babysitting my niece, who wears disposables. All those cloth diaper friendly detergents are great, except they don't actually work, lol.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

*pats giant Costco box of Tide*

I use homemade detergent for most of our washing when possible, but the diapers NEED Tide. Also, sometimes I have to add a little softener since we have super-hard water & that strips away any mineral build-up. No stinky diapers any more (and I have diapers in place of Pull-ups for overnight wetting for much older girls, and if that doesn't stink anymore, nothing will here, lol).

Our little surprise is coming in October. I always used disposables but plan on trying cloth ones. I'm stocking up on used receiving blankets and such to use as old-fashioned flats and asking for wool soakers from my knitting friend and/or making wool soakers from felted thrift store sweaters. My cost will likely be under $30 so it's sort of a no brainer.

We'll see if it lasts but it's so cheap to try it can't hurt!

I am cding my baby after a 6 yr space, so I needed to buy a new stash, and he'll probably be the last. So yes, I would, and did.

Besides the cost savings, there's the environmental factor, and most important to me, I like that baby is not exposed to the chemicals in sposies.

I've cloth diapered 4 kids now and never had stink issues. I use All free & clear, my kids had rashes from the enzymes in Tide.

ETA: I have had blow outs with disposables but not with cloth, so cloth actually saves me laundry. And my current cloth diapered baby gets rashy when I've put him in sposies for the day once or twice, he seems to need the breathability of cloth.

Edited by Annie Laurie

We use cloth with #3 even though we thought she would be our last. Turns out, we opted for #4 and now I'm VERY glad we went with cloth!

I've NEVER had a problem with stinky diaper pail (even with the gross toddler poop) and we've always washed with Tide or All. And for the times when DD has been wetting super heavy we just put her in a sposie at night. I'm totally cool switching between full time cloth and part time cloth. And nothing is cuter than a giant fluffy bottom :)

For longevity, we mainly use prefolds and covers, but I truly love one size-pocket diapers that snap. Getting diaper covers that snap saves you tons of headaches at wash time (no velcro diaper chain) and having to replace worn out velcro. I love my Bummis covers, but their velcro wears out fast.

Anyway, YES after that long response, I would cloth diaper for my thought-to-be-last baby regardless of savings.

Or, like my dd2, they can think that wet underwear just feel like diapers and not worry about it. :glare:

I use prefolds and covers. My stash cost about $350 in total (diaper sprayer, wetbags, a few pocket diapers, etc.), but if I was only planning on diapering the one kid and not making cloth diapering one of my main professions, I wouldn't have bought as much, so I'd say more like $250-$300. On amazon, you can get diapers for about $.12/diaper. Assuming 5 diapers a day averaged out, that's $550 to diaper them until they are 2 and a half. Given that the diapers have a resale value and you could probably sell that diaper stash for at least $150, it's a $150 plus laundry cost (which really isn't that high, only $2 or $3 per month) vs. a $550 minimum (no brand loyalty, only buy what's cheapest on Amazon, and only 5 diapers a day).

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

*pats giant Costco box of Tide*

I use homemade detergent for most of our washing when possible, but the diapers NEED Tide. Also, sometimes I have to add a little softener since we have super-hard water & that strips away any mineral build-up. No stinky diapers any more (and I have diapers in place of Pull-ups for overnight wetting for much older girls, and if that doesn't stink anymore, nothing will here, lol).

Interesting. I always use ALL or Purex free and clear. My diapers do tend to stink. Do you use the Tide Free and Clear or just standard Tide?

Yes. We did. I wanted to cloth diaper our first, but we lived in an RV and didn't have a washer and dryer so we decided against the idea. We did cloth diaper with our second, I loved it. It was wonderful and I would do it again (but we done having children).

Go to diaperswappers.com it's a very helpful site.

Good luck.

Yes, but I would put a block on my computer that would prevent me from visiting any cloth diaper forums.

My "baby" is 3.5 and potty trained, and I have five medium moving boxes full of cloth diapers. That's just the medium-XL sizes. It would have cost me a fraction of the amount I spent on cloth to use disposables. I'm getting ready to sell, and I hope to get a few hundred back. (Yes, I have THAT MANY!)

I just started cloth diapering when dc #6 was born. He is 18 months old, and I am so glad I decided to use cloth! We have saved so much $$ not having to buy diapers (not to mention the late night trips to the store to buy diapers because we were out!) I LOVE not having to buy diapers! I started out with a couple dozen unbleached indian prefolds & Thirsties duo covers, then switched to Kawaii onesize pocket diapers. I totally LOVE the Kawaii diapers! The pocket diapers are just as easy as using disposables, only you wash & reuse them. If I had it to do over again, I would use the Kawaii covers instead of the Thirsties because they are so much cheaper in price!

On amazon, you can get diapers for about $.12/diaper. Assuming 5 diapers a day averaged out, that's $550 to diaper them until they are 2 and a half. Given that the diapers have a resale value and you could probably sell that diaper stash for at least $150, it's a $150 plus laundry cost (which really isn't that high, only $2 or $3 per month) vs. a $550 minimum (no brand loyalty, only buy what's cheapest on Amazon, and only 5 diapers a day).

Five diapers a day?? We go through double or triple that. (Depending on age of baby and whether or not we're doing night-time changes.) We also EC, so have a pretty good handle on how often babies pee, and I try to change them right away if I miss one, so there's no way to use only five diapers a day here. Wouldn't kidlet be spending an awful lot of time in a wet diaper that way?

Oh wait... do you mean five disposables a day? I can see that, because I think it's harder to even tell if a diaper is wet when it's a disposable so you definitely wouldn't change as often. (This might be a benefit or drawback, depending on your perspective.)

I'm there (cloth diapering my third child....he was a surprise baby with 12 years between him and my used to be youngest!) and yes it is definitley worth it!!!!

I remember all the diaper rashes with my others and this baby has not had that at all until just one about a month ago.... and he is 13 1/2 months old! It really has not been difficult at all. We went with prefolds for the first month and then to Bum Genius all in one pockets for the rest of the time. You only have to hang the pockets, not the inserts (they can go in the dryer though I like hanging them in the sun when I can) The pockets dry within a few hours if you hang them in a warm spot of the house. (I use a clothes rack next to the radiators) I haven't read the other posts but I can tell you from my experience that this was truly worth that original investment! I know we would have spent more than the initial cost by now (even choosing the higher cost of the Bum Genius) and the BGs allowed the ease of changing just like disposables. It has definitely been worth it!!!