Menu

Feeling the iPad love

My father-in-law gave some extraordinarily awesome gifts to us recently ... my sister and brother-in-law are currently on vacation in San Diego, we're not sure for what my young brother-in-law will use his money, but my husband decided to use ours for his-n-hers matching iPads.

SO. AMAZING.

I already know and love various apps for my son on my iPhone, especially the "Preschool University" reading and spelling apps - so cool for a 3 year-old who loves to read and spell but can't write yet. I splurged on the Montessorium apps for him, and we've got various other free or very cheap preschool/kindergarten apps. Now I'm looking ahead to the cool stuff my sons will be able to do as they get older, and I get even more excited.

Any other apps that you would recommend for homeschoolers of younger kids?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
My father-in-law gave some extraordinarily awesome gifts to us recently ... my sister and brother-in-law are currently on vacation in San Diego, we're not sure for what my young brother-in-law will use his money, but my husband decided to use ours for his-n-hers matching iPads.

SO. AMAZING.

I already know and love various apps for my son on my iPhone, especially the "Preschool University" reading and spelling apps - so cool for a 3 year-old who loves to read and spell but can't write yet. I splurged on the Montessorium apps for him, and we've got various other free or very cheap preschool/kindergarten apps. Now I'm looking ahead to the cool stuff my sons will be able to do as they get older, and I get even more excited.

Any other apps that you would recommend for homeschoolers of younger kids?

What an awesome father-in-law, and dh!! I wish my dd could read off the iPad (she can't because of the glare and backlighting) because I'd much rather have an iPad than a large Kindle!

Of course, my husband's iPad is his iPad and mine is the boys' iPad, but I'm okay with that. I've also got a ton of Russian language and German language learning apps downloaded, so I'm working on my Russian and using the German apps to help me teach the boys German. (I'm a native speaker, but clueless as to how to begin teaching them without completely confusing them.)

Oh, and my iPad is wearing a tank. (The Otterbox Defender case.) Makes it rather less sleek and sexy, but rather more likely to survive the 3 and 1 year-old fingers.

I got my iPad for mother's day and I've already spent $90 on apps and books...oops! I totally love mine already, though. I'm brainstorming ways we can afford them for the kids. I've been considering going all ebooks with the kids readers year after next. I'm just not sure if I want all the "extra" stuff distracting the kids from school activities.

One thing that I REALLY like about iPad is that I can sit right beside my son while he is researching something on the internet. Even with my laptop, I don't take it from room to room, so I think I monitor him more closely with the ipad.

I got my iPad for mother's day and I've already spent $90 on apps and books...oops! I totally love mine already, though. I'm brainstorming ways we can afford them for the kids.

Right there with you! I'm eyeing the refurbished iPad 1s for the kids.

I can't get any of their apps to download for me. They all say they are being updated and to try again later. I really wanted the butterfly and the doctor ones. Hopefully they will work soon. Thanks for posting the free apps.

Just heard about these apps which are FREE today only (Wed. June 1).

They are geared toward younger kids, but they are SO cute!

http://tocaboca.com/

Enjoy!

Yeah, the Helicopter Taxi, which my son would love, is unavailable. Boo.

I've really started to love Park Math, which my son is digging. I am looking for apps in between basic counting and number recognition and the purely number-based drill programs. Park Math fits the bill.