Menu

Spin-off thread: your grandfather's names?

I'm really impressed that we have more than one grandfather named Ignatz in the bunch! (Sorry if I spelled that incorrectly.) I love interesting names!

My grandfathers were Merle Orvin (went by Orv) and Richard Allan. Funny story: My grandfather's middle name was originally spelled Allen. His sister, my Great Aunt Jean, decided that it should really be spelled Allan, so she pestered my great-grandmother into changing it on his birth certificate - when he was a married adult with his own children! Children named using his middle name! Her excuse? "Well, I always meant for it to be spelled Allan." Who knew you could do that to your children once they were past the age of consent?

My paternal great grandfathers were Merle Otto (went by Ott) and Alfred Marie (went by Happy). Maternally we had Richard something and Roy something. Not a clue on their middle names.

Dh's grandfathers were August Henry and Edgar Wilhelm. Gotta love those Germans, eh? :D

My maternal grandfather is Otis Odell.

My paternal step-grandfather was Ralph Selman. My paternal blood grandfather was a U.S. soldier in Germany just after WWII, name unknown...he and my German grandmother were never married.

I don't know my greats, but my geneology-loving mom could tell me a long line of ancestors. :)

not very exciting, eh? My maternal grandfather (Raymond) hated "Leroy" and changed it to "Lee." His brothers were Lancelot Rufus (who changed it to Lance as soon as he was able!), Erna, Cecil, Robert, and Norman. I don't remember my paternal grandfather's brothers' names and I'm too lazy to go look them up, lol. He was the youngest of 10 children, and I never knew any of them. TMI, lol.