Menu

Would it work to use CW Homer A for grammar only for 6th grader?

I'm thinking of using it like an "applied grammar" course, and doing everything but the actual writing projects. (We'll be doing a combo of IEW/LTOW in co-op for writing, and she has already done IEW for 3 yrs.)

Dd11 has had FLL 1/2, Shurley 3, a few yrs of Latin, MCT Town level, and R+S English 5. The R+S has been her first experience with diagramming. (It is completely by design that I have done grammar this way-I did not want to do the same grammar program every year because I feel the exposure to different ways of working with grammar is beneficial.)

I was going to do AG next yr, but I like the way Homer INTEGRATES everything-spelling/etymology, parsing charts, grammar, the Killigon-like sentence reassembling, etc. I think it would be a way to take the grammar, etc., and actually APPLY it.

I think the diagramming would be more in depth than what we have done, and in context.

We would use the Harvey's with it.

I would be telescoping it some-ie-combining a couple days together (like the narration and dictation days.)

But would the grammar be too simple after the grammar we've had? (LA is easy for her.) Would it not be meaty enough? Would the whole thing be just too convoluted and I should stick with AG? Any other problems you see with this plan?

Hi HappyGrace,

We stated CW Older Beginners this spring and are using Harvey's along with it. We have used Shurley Grammar and Essentials of the English language in the past. We make and use the Grammar notebooks with Harvey's as CW instructs. So far it is a review of all the ds has learned, but we both enjoy it. We also use the Harvey's student workbook published by CW. It helps as my dd is dysgraphic, and it makes it easier on me!

I heard Andrew Kern speak a few months ago, and he mentioned his preference for Harvey's Grammar. He basically said that if you master Harvey's, then that is all you will ever need. However, I plan on using R&S for high school to cement Grammar in the Rhetoric stage. I'm like you; I enjoy using different programs and seeing different approaches. We love Diagramming, and I also plan to buy Mary Daly's Whole Book of Diagramming at some point.

I personally think Harvey's along with Homer is plenty. I has been good for my ds to have an "easy" time with Grammar while learning new skills in writing. I has taken some of the pressure off of him. Of course, Writing has been a challenge here where Grammar has not. That is what we are doing and I am pleased so far.