Menu

Decided I might do Latin. Help me!

OK. I am pondering starting Latin. I know nothing about Latin. Roots and stems, no problem. Actual Latin :confused:.

Here are the programs I am considering...

Lively Latin

Latin Alive!

Galore Park: So you really want to learn Latin or Latin Prep

My boys are 11 & 12 entering 6th and 7th, we will be doing Ancient History this year.

You might be able to tell from my sig, that my kids like weird things. I like weird things. We like things that are a bit funny. I tend to dislike the drier, soul killing type of texts. My kids are skeptical of everything educational and hate to write. It's really great. :tongue_smilie:

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Oh your boys are the PERFECT age for Cambridge Latin. I wouldn't recommend it for just anyone (not for younger than 10, for sure) but for 10-15yos, and especially for boys, I think it's perfect. My 10yo DS started it in January and is cruising right along!!!! Check it out, I think it will be a great supplement to your ancient history studies as well! :) The storyline is fantastic, and even a bit dark (which is why I wouldn't recc for anyone younger than 10-ish), but it keeps them motivated to keep learning and I think that is fantastic! FWIW, Latin is my DS10's favorite subject now! :D

As much as I love Latin Alive, I wouldn't use it for first exposure for 6th and 7th grade. It's pretty intense and I think 6th grade would be too young.

I know I needed some DVD support when I started with Latin. I'm not sure what the age level is on the other two programs, but I would look into what audio support they provide.

LNM might be a good fit for you - it is a very versatile program which mixes approaches (even the one I dislike), but at the same time teaches actual content while being kid-friendly. That is the one I would use if I wanted to "actually" learn Latin, but for some reason dislike the method or the format of Wheelock's or Henle.

Of course, I recommend against Cambridge, Oerberg, etc.

I also dislike Galore Park.

OK... glad that Latin Alive is out. I really didn't want to do that one. ;)

I will now need to research LNM (that I had to look up to figure out what it was) and will go look at Cambridge. I have Minimus lying around here somewhere, but I loaned someone the TM and don't know when I might get it back.

Thanks so far!

Still looking for thumbs up and down for LL and SYRWLL. :D

I know Ester Maria dislikes Galore Park but I have to say that for our purposes we LOVE Latin Prep. It has some humor in it and some goofy, silly drawings. It isn't dry at all, moves quickly and dives right into translating so your student feels they are actually getting to use what they are learning. There is no memorization scheduled so you would need to make sure that you incorporate that if it is needed but honestly, my oldest has been able to memorize everything just from the amount of translating she has to do.

I'm not looking for dd to be a Latin scholar and don't know that she will even be interested in getting to the point of reading great works in Latin. I know some may say then what's the point of learning Latin. IMO the point is that my dd just enjoys languages. She also wants to do Greek this next year. Latin Prep might not be as rigorous as other programs but we weren't looking for rigor we were looking for exposure and enjoyment. Latin Prep fits that bill for us.

My boys enjoyed LL, but they were younger than yours at the time. It was easy to implement (just do the next pages and practice the vocab). Not a lot of writing, lots of clipart, some drawing. I think it might be too young for 6th/7th grade but YMMV.

I haven't used Galore Park Latin, but we like their SYRWTL French. I'm not sure if they are similar in format, but the French is somewhat humorous. Have you looked at the samples online?

We have Cambridge--I started to use it as a supplement to LL, but I'd never be able to teach Latin from it--I think it's whole to part or something like that.

I'm not looking for dd to be a Latin scholar and don't know that she will even be interested in getting to the point of reading great works in Latin. I know some may say then what's the point of learning Latin. IMO the point is that my dd just enjoys languages. She also wants to do Greek this next year. Latin Prep might not be as rigorous as other programs but we weren't looking for rigor we were looking for exposure and enjoyment. Latin Prep fits that bill for us.

Actually, if applied consistently, I think that Latin Prep can do the job. My main problem with it is in what I view to be a pedagogically bad sequence (I would organize all the individual elements in a completely different fashion, a very orderly one), but for younger children, it has a potential of doing the job in terms of setting a certain foundantion and a stepping stone to go further.

However, yes, my goals are a bit different, as just like I do not teach math for exposure and enjoyment but for some concrete knowledge and skills, same with Latin, as I view it as a fully fledged academic subject (other people may have different preferences regarding the "position" of Latin, its importance and whether it can be equal to that of other subjects or it is primary an exposure area, etc.). But even for that one can use a plethora of materials, technically anything that presents and covers the entire grammar, if applied consistently and does the job, can be used as a stepping stone to texts.

LNM = Latin for the New Millennium (I had to look it up too :))

And it is crazy expensive! I wish I had a curriculum fairy. :D

I am not sure exactly WHY I want to teach Latin. Maybe I should figure that out first. Then maybe I can choose the proper program.:lol:

I love GP stuff anyway... Funny, I would have assumed that SYRWLL would be more humorous than Latin Prep. Thanks for the head's up Laura.

I know you said you've ruled out Latin Alive and I agree with the person who said it might be difficult for a first exposure, especially since you have no Latin experience. However, I would encourage you to take a look at Latin for Children. It is the elementary series by the same publisher (Classical Academic Press). We used part of LFC-A before moving on to Latin Alive 1...we had finished Minimus/Secundus and BB Lively Latin I and it was too easy. That said, I do not think it is too easy or too childish for your boys' ages. It will be easy for you to learn along with them.

The DVDs are well-done and the information is presented very logically. There are also a number of good supplements you can get, including an activity book (games and puzzles) and latin readers with simple stories to translate. The Clash Cards game plays like war and there are a number of variations. My two dc love practicing vocabulary with them.

There is also a website area called Headventureland where students can practice chapter-specific vocabulary and complete charts for verb conjugations and noun declensions. I think there are even little "books" to translate.

Hope this helps!

PameLA in VA

Edited by PameLA in VA

have you looked into visual latin?

my daughter and I just started and love it.... in fact we were driving with my dad the other day and she was going on and on about all things latin! building sentences and translating and explaining every detail!

The lessons are short and simple... we watch one "old" lesson and one new and complete the corresponding worksheet... easy and they are so affordable....

you can try there lessons before you buy....

Just thought I'd throw that out because we are enjoying it so much and getting results fast....

Also the teacher is kind on dorky funny and my daughter cracks up at him...:lol:

We have similar sig lines, so I'll tell you what we've done: Lively Latin for the last year or so, just ordered LP for older, LfC for the younger. I'm not sure about LfC, but I couldn't do LL again. It's great in theory, & I didn't start hating it right away, but...whew. I'm glad we're moving on to something else.

I'm *drooling* over LP. No actual experience, so don't put too much stock in that, but from lovers of Singapore & Life of Fred & MCT, this is perhaps the thing I'm most looking forward to next year.

One more thing: Latin is easy. Don't be intimidated & don't assume you need dvd's. Personally, I hate dvd's--they require someone to know where the remote is (usually), & the coordination of turning it on & sitting in front of the tv. I do so much better w/ books. So *for me,* if I thought I needed a dvd, I'd be pretty worried. Otoh, if those work well for you...cool. :thumbup:

I like Latin Prep for those ages. SY Latin is drier; LP has a sense of humour.

Laura

What's this I read on your yahoo group about noun cases in UK order? Would that really matter if a student was going on to Henle after LP? We are in Classical Conversations and want to do better with our Latin this year in prep for higher level study of Latin the following year. I might teach after this coming year, and will probably use Henle, so I need to use something this coming school year to learn alongside my dd.

We used LfC A and like it fine, I guess. It somehow doesn't get done often. So our inconsistency is an issue. But maybe we aren't consistent because it doesn't grab us. I'm just not sure if we should continue with it or switch. I got the 1st ed used so it's not in great shape and wouldn't be a huge loss if we ditched it. Somehow it just doesn't seem to be grabbing us.

What's this I read on your yahoo group about noun cases in UK order? Would that really matter if a student was going on to Henle after LP?

They just put the noun cases in US order on Post-it notes and stick them over the tables in Latin Prep. There aren't too many tables. Then they learn them that way. As there are no chanting CDs for LP, you can learn them in whatever order you like.

Hope that helps,

Laura

• 1 month later...

You might be able to tell from my sig, that my kids like weird things. I like weird things. We like things that are a bit funny. I tend to dislike the drier, soul killing type of texts. My kids are skeptical of everything educational and hate to write. It's really great. :tongue_smilie:

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

You should take a look at Visual Latin. We haven't "officially" started it yet but my 9and 12 year olds have watched all of the free lessons and they love it. I think the teacher is weird,; my boys think he is brilliant and hilarious. My kids like the instructor's quirky sense of humor and that they get to read Latin right away. There are three free lessons on the website. By the time they had watched those, they felt like they were Latin students. My DVD should be here today and we will get started with it immediately. I have tried the drier approaches and we just couldn't get excited about learning Latin, even though we want to study it. I am no expert, so I have no idea if this is considered the best way (or not!) to learn Latin, but I'm excited to find this product. It makes Latin accessible to us in a way that other products haven't. My kids loved that they were immediately learning words and reading sentences. They felt like they were finally doing Latin and not just preparing to do Latin.

He is currently having a 20% off offer. Amazon recently had the DVDs for $25.00 but the last time I checked they were down to only one available copy. I ordered directly from Visual Latin and they shipped my product literally fifteen minutes after I had paid for it!!

http://www.visuallatin.com/

Edited by Donna T.

You should take a look at Visual Latin...my boys think he is brilliant and hilarious.

Same here. My boys laugh and laugh at/with the teacher. And they tell his jokes to everyone they meet. They love to watch Visual Latin.

HOWEVER...I'm not sure that I would use this program as your main Latin program. We've watched/done the first 20 lessons, but my sons have also worked through Henle & LC at the same time. To me, Visual Latin doesn't provide enough practice and drill for the material to "stick".

So we use Visual Latin as a supplement...just as we use Life of Fred as a supplement. It is well worth the small price because the teacher's love of the language is certainly contagious.

HTH!

Jetta

HOWEVER...I'm not sure that I would use this program as your main Latin program. We've watched/done the first 20 lessons, but my sons have also worked through Henle & LC at the same time. To me, Visual Latin doesn't provide enough practice and drill for the material to "stick".

HTH!

Jetta

Thanks! He is expanding his product line, so it will be interesting to see what comes up.

Well, Henle (full text in Google books) has blood and violence. There's a lot about the Romans slaughtering the Gauls in the beginning. DD doesn't write out any of the exercises; we study Latin mostly orally.

If you're nervous about starting Latin, Getting Started with Latin is great. Very gentle and very inexpensive.

I have used Latin Prep, SYRWTLL, and Lively Latin. I wouldn't use LL for 6th and 7th grade. SYRWTLL is a bit dry. Latin Prep is just right as far as level and format go, though I find the presentation a bit chaotic. But that could just be me. If your kids like weird things, of the programs on your list, Latin Prep is the way to go as it is funny and weird.

I'd also take a look at Cambridge. I found it easier to teach than LP, but the grammar is weak. It has an interesting storyline that can be funny at times.

He is currently having a 20% off offer. Amazon recently had the DVDs for $25.00 but the last time I checked they were down to only one available copy. I ordered directly from Visual Latin and they shipped my product literally fifteen minutes after I had paid for it!!

Donna, I went to the website but didn't see anything about 20% off. Is there a code or something, or am I just not looking in the right place? I looked under the "Buy Visual Latin" link on the left. Do you perhaps have a direct link to the page with 20% off?

Also, I only saw Lessons 1-10 on Amazon and it was $30.00 so maybe the others have sold out already.

Thanks!

Karen

Donna' date=' I went to the website but didn't see anything about 20% off. Is there a code or something, or am I just not looking in the right place? I looked under the "Buy Visual Latin" link on the left. Do you perhaps have a direct link to the page with 20% off?

Also, I only saw Lessons 1-10 on Amazon and it was $30.00 so maybe the others have sold out already.

Thanks!

Karen[/quote']

Yes, there is a code. I had totally forgotten that. It is "FBDVD" and it's good through Monday. I was going to buy through Amazon and at that time they only had one left, but I decided to buy directly from VL when they offered the code.

Guest Thomas Purifoy

I'm the producer of Visual Latin and saw you were interested in using VL but wanted a code. FBDVD has expired, but I personally like finding a good deal, too, so since you asked you can use the code WTM20 to get 20% off any of the Visual Latin products. It's good through this Friday, July 1. And feel free to tell your friends. (Hope your kids love it!)

- Thomas

SYRWTLL is drier than Latin Prep, but is still infused with a dry sense of humor, and it's more condensed and to the point, which my boy, who hated doing repetitive exercises, appreciated. It's worth going to the Galore Park website and downloading the samples from Latin Prep and SYR--you'll easily be able to get a sense of whether they'll work for you.