Menu

What are you doing for K next year?

spaceman

I'm doing K4 with my daughter next year. We will be continuing Funnix/Funnix 2 with some handwriting. For math we are playing with MEP Reception and SRA Explorations and Applications K. I'll be pacing to do Unit 1 of the SRA this year, and Unit 2 next year. We're also doing some French exposure, and lots of art and music.

It's all in my siggy. For Children Around the World history we are going to spend 1-2 months on each continent. We are going to learn how kids there live (what they eat, do for fun, wear, etc), we are going to cook food from the region, read library books about the region and its animals, look at maps, read stories and fairy tales from the region, etc. It is going to be informal, but lots of fun!

We'll be doing K4 with ds 2.

I think I'm actually more undecided the second time around.

Math: Right Start A

Handwriting: HWOT finishing up Pre-K, starting K

Phonics: ??? Still looking for a program that works on short vowels, CVC words, and blending without any writing - any recommendations?

Edited by FairProspects

Heart of Dakota and the still-to-be-released guide from Teach Me Joy. Probably some of the R&S ABC series, up through the GHI books. Will slowly be doing The Reading Lesson and New American Cursive.

Think I'll slowly do some of either Math Mammoth 1A, or Singapore Earlybird 2A/B (still available only through HOD) The new TMJ guide will have plans for MM1, as well as a somewhat SM EB style math included made by the author so we may just print and use that. Depending on where he is when we start, of course.

I am doing something completely different for DD, who has taken charge of her education, as opposed to my boys who lets their education come to them.:glare: With my boys, I did the complete A Beka K5 program. They thrived and did very well. With DD I have decided to do this....

**Plaid Phonics by MCP

** Various and sundry phonics readers... A Beka, Bob Books, whatever else comes up

** A Beka Kindergarten Math

** A Beka handwriting, even though she already knows how to write, it's just to make sure she's writing correctly.

Wow, now that I look at it, it is pretty A Beka intensive, except for the phonics. She's far enough along in her knowledge of letters and sounds that she's probably go crazy with A Beka's phonics.

Phonics: ??? Still looking for a program that works on short vowels, CVC words, and blending without any writing - any recommendations?

I think you could use MFW K w/o writing. They use Lauri puzzle letters.

Originally Posted by FairProspects

MFW phonics has writing to it. Reading Made Easy and The Reading Lesson, or even Phonics Pathways are all great choices without writing. And you can better go at your own pace b/c it's not daily lessons, but just a steady progress of material to cover at a comfortable pace for your child...and in much less time per day! About 10-15 minutes

Pretty much a rinse & repeat of my older three.

Abeka Letters & Sounds/Readers

Abeka Penmanship (cursive with the tablet, white board for printing practice & number practice)

Math Mammoth 1; Kitchen Table Math (This is a change)

Probably Oral Language Lessons (a bit of a change)... but, it's easy and light, so should be pretty good.

I'm putting together an MP3 player with Lyrical Life Science, Bible Memory Songs, FLL 1/2 chants & poems and other various things to listen to during her play time...she is also welcome to join my 3rd/4th graders with sicence and history.

I have five year-old twins who will start kindergarten this fall. I've already started our homeschool year, though.

My daughter is a beginning reader. She reads 3 Bob Books, a few pages of a beginning Dr. Seuss book, Starfall books, or readinglessons.com. (My son reads well already and doesn't have formal reading right now, though that may change).

I read aloud the Great Illustrated Classics and other books a lot.

Both children do one page of handwriting practice. They write their names and a few words of their choice. I don't ask they write a lot, but I do try to make sure each letter is formed correctly.

Both children do Singapore Math.

I will add BFSU once I get the book. I'm sure this will change with time, but for now, we're focusing on these foundations.

We also do lots of enrichment activities, hiking in the mountains, attending bluegrass festivals, etc.

I have a son in K this year and I will have a son in K next year. I absolutely went overboard this year so next year I am keeping it simple:

DS will be doing

Daily Calendar work with our wall calendar we got from RR.

A mix of Phonics Pathways and OPG

Explode the Code

Reading Pathways

Bob Books

AAS1

A reason for Handwriting

Horizons K with TONS of math manipulative's. I learned this year with my now K son that MUS blocks are GREAT for teaching pre-multiplication skills :thumbup:

We will not do all of this every day. We will do phonics daily with 1 or 2 of our selections, math every other day or so, handwriting the day we do not do math... and so on.

I will be using Phonics Pathways\Reading Pathways along with Funnix.(15)

He has already taught himself how to write all the letters in print but I will be using copywork from our literature to help him refine his letter formation. (10)

I don't have time for separate read alouds just for him so I will include him in whatever I'm reading for dd8. (Ambleside lists) (However long he will sit still)

He started on MM1A last week and blew through the first 15 pages so I will continue on with it but will add in lots and lots of file folder games and manipulatives. (Maybe two sessions of 10 minutes each...he really likes math)

I'm going to let him be as involved as he wants with the Trail Guide to Learning and Time Travelers activities he wants to be including any read alouds he will sit still enough for. (Again, this will be up to him)

Lastly, I'm going to make up a Breakfast Board to use with him that will include time, calendar, money, weather, world geography and some beginning Spanish. (10)

Wow, that sounds like a lot but I really don't want to have a rigorous K year for him so I'm going to keep all the lessons to a minimum; say 10-15 minutes per session. ....okay, I went back and put times in parenthesis. So, I would say that depending on how long he will sit for read alouds and how involved he wants to be in the TT and TGtL activities it would work out to be no more than 2 hours spread out over the day.

Of coarse that is my plan...he may have his own agenda. He will sometimes sit for 30 minutes copying words out of books but that's because it's his idea.:tongue_smilie:

I'm doing the same thing I did with my oldest 2 yrs ago just adjusting levels to accommodate different strengths:

Math: Horizons K, Singapore PM 1A, Miquon Orange

LA: SWR, Cursive First, SL Grade 2 Readers, DEL

Literature/Science: SL P4/5

Geography: EM Beginning Geography

Art: AP The Way They See It

He will likely tagalong with his brother in some of his subjects too but that won't be required.

DS2 is casually doing K...

Math: Singapore Essential Math K

Phonics/Reading: Webster's Speller/OPGTR

Handwriting: Getty-Dubay Italics book A

We've been doing the first two subjects already. I'll add handwriting this fall, most likely.

He'll also tag along with his brother in BJU Science 3. I'm not doing history with him yet.

Have you tried Starfall.com? Their stuff is awesome, and if you sign up for "More Starfall" for $35 a year, they have tons of great stuff for early phonics, including a "Word Machine" that does CVC words. We love it and well worth the $35.

Here's our tentative K line-up:

Phonics: Saxon Phonics K

Math: Saxon Math 1, flashcards, and some Abacus activities

Handwriting: D'Nealian (Startwrite 5.0 software)

Bible: Bible Memorization, A Child's Story Bible

Edited by mhg

I have a K ds this coming school year. It will be his 2nd year during K stuff but different publishers. Here are what we will be doing :

Math : McRuffy Math K

Reading/Phonics/Handwriting : Continue with The Reading Lesson and also start McRuffy Phonics and Reading, Handwriting, Explode The Code 1, Leapfrog videos and Starfall.com.

Will also tag along in science with older sister, age 10, doing Nancy Larson Science 1. I am also looking into learning mandarin chinese with the kids this year so he will learn along with us.

Julia

Keeping it super-simple.

Finishing AAR Pre-1, seeing if blending has kicked in - if so, on to A Beka's Handbook for Reading and readers. I'd like to start MUS Primer (need to order), lots of read alouds. Tagging along in everything else when she wants to (see signature, she likes narrating better than her older sister). She is pretty much doing her own thing for handwriting - she writes up a storm if I spell words that she asks me for her by sound! I'm just clarifying letter formation for her with AAR. Learning the books of the Bible and trying to sneak in on our other memorization. Speech therapy with mom (articulation delays).

RightStart B

HWOT

continuing with OPGTR

ETC

She's been doing the above for the past 6 or 7 months, and we'll continue. She sort of joins in on SOTW and BFSU with her brother, and I give her coloring pages or something like that to go along with them. She also enjoys SSL. :) She wants to do more than I want her to do. ;)

We're also going to add in FIAR. Should be fun!

We just started.

We're currently combining Sonlight 3/4 & 4/5 Plus Language Arts K. We also have Artistic Pursuits Preschool coming (waiting....waiting).

We're using P4/5 as the kindergarten program, its the best all combined Kinder program of all the ones we looked at, we have all the extras like ETC primers, LA K, etc.

Next year, DD5 will move on to grade 1 and we'll get seperate subjects, mostly based on WTM, but with a few additionals/others.

DD2 will stay on P3/4 and I am unsure as yet whether we'll keep DS 3 on 3/4 or move him up, and if we do, we may omit the Language Arts and just keep it as a preschool program.

We'll definately stay with Sonlight for the younger years, once we get to grade 1 we will seperate, but will still use their readers, Read alouds, and any interesting lit that ties in with our program.

MFW looks quite interesting, but we just added our own stuff to make it similar, most of the lit-based programs all look pretty much alike, they just tend to differentiate with their extras (like MFW has puzzles, and ant farm, we already have 5000 puzzles, and we just purchased 2 interconnecting ant farms to go with the learning about ants bit in Sonlight, plus the ant explorer book)

Bottom Line: We love Sonlight P4/5 for Kinder, and you can add as much extras/tailoring as you want, or keep it as simple as you want. We also use Handle on the Arts for P4/5 activities. So we have a whole heap of extras, started at 8:15 this morning and ended at 10:30, and the kids are happy enough playing with their beautiful items they made now. This afternoon I will put one section of mathtacular & rock n learn on, then give them a box of toys to play with, and if it ever stops raining, they can go outside lol.

We're continuing what we've been doing for preschool, with the exception that we only do preschool when he wants to - either he asks (usually when dd is doing her homeschool) or I offer it as one of many options when he is bored or being annoying :D - but for kindergarten I want him to start getting used to do something every day - I don't really have a schedule for him, just whatever subject he wants will be fine. I noticed this year that he would ask for math for a couple weeks, and make great strides, then stop and ask for phonics stuff for weeks. It all worked out, so I'm happy to go with it until it stops working.

We do -

Saxon Phonics K - nearly done, expect to more on to Phonics 1 by fall

Saxon Math 1 - just started this a couple months ago, expect to hit Math 2 sometime this next school year tho

Science Fusion - this is a new program that we did a sample of and he LOVED it, so I'm getting it as soon as it is available

Lots and lots and LOTS of read alouds :)

We are doing MUS Alpha, AAS 1, and will continue manuscript handwriting.

Her assigned independent reading will increase to 30 minutes, and she'll begin seatwork Catholic catechism (either Seton or Faith & Life). We own Books 1 and 2 from Artistic Pursuits K-3, and they work from it off and on throughout the year as the fancy strikes.

I never intended for this, but she tags along on all of her brother's cub scout meetings and often works alongside him as he completes his badges; she learns a lot this way, and I so consider it school-ish (not required, but encouraged).

Happy Phonics?

I'm glad I came across this thread because I was about to start one of my own with the same question. :tongue_smilie:

We will be doing:

MUS Alpha

Alphaphonics

lots of nature walks

and of course lots of library trips. ;) We're currently reading Pinnochio and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe together.

My five year old will be doing Rightstart Math A, possibly the Phonics Road, and TOG YR 2 with big brother and sister. We are studying astronomy and earth science too, but nothing too hard for him. He's a Wiggly Willy type, so my main goals revolved around getting him reading independently and learning some main math concepts without too much textbook stuff. I plan on doing lots of hands on stuff and lots of math games. I plan on using Draw Write Now to help his handwriting and doing some copywork to talk about what he draws. He is also in Awana and choir up at church, so I think Ill be keeping him quite busy.

DD is 4.5, and officially starting K in the fall (she makes the cutoff here by 2 days), but is already doing K stuff now.

I hope to follow the homeschooling stuff on http://www.weefolkart.com/ for something a little project-y and seasonal. I've never done that, and it seems about our speed.

Beyond that...

Writing: We seem to have settled on D'Nealian for DS, so I guess we'll stick with that. I may see if I can find some sort of official resource for that, rather than just the worksheet generator for copywork.

Reading: She uses Hooked on Phonics, ETC, Progressive Phonics, Starfall, and whatever else. She goes through phases where she's really into one over the others. Fine with me. She's learning regardless.

Math: We have Math Mammoth Blue Series. I think I like not being tied to a grade structure. We'll go as far as we get. I'd kind of like to see if I can find a way to integrate MEP, too,

Social Studies: General US cultural literacy. Tagging along with DS for history if she wants.

Science: Something with DS. Haven't really decided yet. We may just continue with our unschooly science

Foreign Language: Currently doing SSL, and trying to decide where we want to go from there with two kids who aren't particularly great at reading yet. Most aren't really designed for a K-er, even a bright one. If SSL2 comes along as rumored, we may well get that, regardless of what we end up deciding for DS.

(Note: I don't think a less academic Kindergarten year is a bad thing, and with DS we didn't do nearly as much. DD is big on the academics, though. This is following her lead.)

Edited by ocelotmom

Phonics Pathways maybe? I like it with my daughter, but we are going veeerrrry slowly as her interest waxes and wanes.

It's in my siggie. My dd is an "older" K student and will turn 6 at the end of October. She is raring to go in the school department, probably due to her older brothers. I did most of her kindy work this past year due to that. We kind of had two years of kindy, you might say.:001_smile:

I'm new here. I am planning the following with my 5 year old (and oldest).

- Core: Building from the core curriculum around Waseca Biomes curriculum (a geog/culture based curriculum). We'll start with their core and then read books, do science and arts from each region.

- Reading: AAS adapted for reading instruction with Waseca Biomes readers as supplements

- Math: MEP 1

- Science: BFSU + Young Scientist Club science kits as supplement

- Nature walks with occasional nature "challenges"

- Art: Artistic Pursuits

- Other: Karate class, swim classes

You can use any phonics program you like otherwise, and have them do all "writing" with a movable alphabet (eg at http://tinyurl.com/42fomg3), or alphabet stamps (I particularly like these clear ones http://tinyurl.com/3n34y4g) We also really enjoy playing little games with these things like making grocery lists (even more fun with an alphabet die to suggest an initial letter for each item), or writing messages I photograph with my phone and text to the recipient (Daddy or homeschool coop friend, usually).

Our plan is mostly in my sig (we're easing into it now); my main challenge is to myself to stick really firmly to our schedule and not let myself get sidetracked on my own projects when the girls give me the opportunity.

We basically do a "teacher-led" lesson over breakfast that is either CM-style art appreciation (Norman Rockwell for now, next up is Van Gogh), geography (we're covering the US states this year, but spending a long time on WA first), or human anatomy, sometimes followed by a brief experiment/activity for those. Then it's three hours of playtime while I attempt to clean/garden fast enough I can play with them before lunch. Over lunch we have CM-style music appreciation or chemistry (a mix of RS4K and my own walk through the elements), then yoga and naptime for the little one. Once I have her down, big sister and I go into our classroom, I give a short lesson and we have three hours of free work with our Montessori materials. Most late afternoons we have a class of some sort (swim, guitar, creative dance, Irish step dancing), but otherwise it's playtime until dinner and bed. Those big chunks of undirected time are really important to me, but man it's easy to let things slip so there aren't 6 hours left in a day!

We also meet with a homeschool coop once a week where we explore a topic in six week periods through six set media. Over the summer we'll be working through Drawing with Children once a week with a friend.

Molly

I have an older kindergartener (5.5) who is really into academic stuff.

Reading: She's reading well and almost finished with phonics (finishing up OPGTR now). I might start All About Spelling with her, or she might just read aloud to me daily.

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears

Math: RightStart B

Science: BFSU (when we feel like it)

History: American history picture books, especially Betsy Maestro

Spanish: Salsa, Jose Luis Orozco songs, picture books, etc.

And of course lots of art and read alouds, our favorites!

You can use any phonics program you like otherwise, and have them do all "writing" with a movable alphabet (eg at http://tinyurl.com/42fomg3), or alphabet stamps (I particularly like these clear ones http://tinyurl.com/3n34y4g) We also really enjoy playing little games with these things like making grocery lists (even more fun with an alphabet die to suggest an initial letter for each item), or writing messages I photograph with my phone and text to the recipient (Daddy or homeschool coop friend, usually).

Love it!

Not totally sure. Dd4 did K this year, so this will be K yr2. :lol: She has done everything that ds6 is doing so far.

She is advanced for her age. She is doing PR1 right now. Only really moved through the first sounds so far.

I am writing a TOG PreK/K program for Yr2.

Math....using MUS, some of the free curr, math games, and adding in a bit of Singapore and MM.

Science: Sid the Science Kid is the fav so far. Adding in Elemental Science plus Science connections that go with TOG.

I have HOD Little Hearts and Little Hands programs, so we will dabble with those as well.

Honestly........not totally sure! :lol:

Right now we're working on OPGTR and Bob Books. Once we move into our house, we'll add in:

RightStart A

Explode the Code 1

D'Nealian Handwriting K

Read Alouds

At some point we'll add in Meet the Masters, Artistic Pursuits, and La Clase Divertida. Maybe K12's K History (it looks kind of neat).

I will probably also buy various science kits for DD to do w/DH in the evenings.

We're going to be using:

HOD LHFHG

Singapore Earlybird K 2A/B

HWT K

Building Thinking Skills Primary

ETC 1 (maybe 2 also) with either First Reader (which we have from ds 1) or The Reading Lesson (which I'm starting to think may work better with this little guy). At some point during the year I'll probably also start in with the first few steps of AAS1.

Ok so my dd is technically in K this coming fall, her b-day is Oct. 31st. She will be working at a first grade level though because we have already done K. You can see the line up in my siggy. She will be finishing LHFHG in July and August and will start BLHFHG in September along with SM 1a/1b, AAS 1, Phonics Pathways, A Reason for Handwriting A, SSL, and some things with my ds.

I'm essentially doing the same thing I did for my dd two years ago, except my ds is a year behind where she was in handwriting and reading...

Sonlight Core K & Science K

OPGTR w/Sonlight Grade 1 Readers

ETC Book 3-? (work at his own pace)

A Reason for Handwriting K

Singapore Earlybird B (may start R&S 1 halfway through)

Evan Moors Beginning Geography

Critical Thinking (maybe)

but we are doing HOD Little Hearts, CLE Learning to Read, and BJU Math K. She is young, but definitely ready. She won't be 5 til Dec but is writing well and reading CvC words already, so she's off and running. I was hoping to have another year, but not so much luck.