Menu

What (if any) modern languages are you teaching?

What modern language(s) are you teaching?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What modern language(s) are you teaching?

• Spanish
    • French
    • German
    • Mandarin
    • Japanese
    • Russian
    • ASL
    • Portugeuse (I think I butchered that...)
    • Other (tell us please!)
    • None

DD is learning Mandarin and Other (Hindi). We may also do Spanish (I have GSWS on hand) if she is interested.

ETA: Actually, yes, I should have included English in the 'Other' as well.

Edited by nansk

He, He, you should have remembered that this is an international message board :toetap05:.

Just kidding :D, we study English, so I voted 'other'.

Oh, the luxury to have your kids be English native speakers....sigh...we are spending an hour a day on English and the progress is so slooooooooooow.

Edited by Tress

Spanish.

My DD has the opportunity to take Mandarin in the fall through the local Confucius Institute, but since the class will be done in a "virtual classroom" (basically, sitting in on a class done in a B&M school by the program), and DD has disliked every video class we've tried to do, I'm not sure that she'd get much out of it.

I voted German, French and Other.

We've been doing German since they were little (I'm fluent due to having a German mom).

I want to add French in 6th grade and start another one in 8th grade, while keeping up with all the others. I would prefer the "other" language to be Italian, but I will let them choose which one they want to learn.

I think we're going to try to learn Italian. We just lived there for 3 years and never had the time to learn the language. We are hoping to go back in a few years, so we're going to get a head start on learning. Even if we don't get to go back, learning the language should still be fun and beneficial.

• 6 months later...

Spanish is what we are all learning right now. We are studying with a tutor and doing RS, which I bought before we found the tutor. Spanish will continue all the way through high school.

We start Latin in 5th and continue at least through 8th, then it will be their choice.

I think both kids are probably going to opt to drop Latin and study a second modern language in high school. Ds is interested in German, which I used to be fluent in, so that should be ok. There is a weekend German school near our home that I'm thinking of starting just to revive my skills ahead of time. Dd is interested in French, which she has learned a tiny bit of in ballet class, and I have no idea what I'm going to do about that one!

French, Norwegian, and Icelandic. Dh is francophone and my children all speak French quite fluently. Their written French, especially their grammar, is not as strong.

When DD 15 was asked why she is learning Icelandic she replied, "It's so impractical; that's why I love it". That pretty much sums up DD 13's reasoning for studying Norwegian as well. :D

I responded French, Spanish, and Portuguese; however, not all of those are currently being taught and not all to the same children.

Our oldest is completely fluent in Brazilian portugese (so much so that Brazilians always complimented him on how well he spoke English not realizing he was an American. :lol:) He converted to Spanish once we moved stateside.

#2 took Spanish.

#3, 4, and 5 took or are taking French.

#6 down will study French in the future.

French, Norwegian, and Icelandic. Dh is francophone and my children all speak French quite fluently. Their written French, especially their grammar, is not as strong.

When DD 15 was asked why she is learning Icelandic she replied, "It's so impractical; that's why I love it". That pretty much sums up DD 13's reasoning for studying Norwegian as well. :D

That's exactly why I majored in Swedish. Loved it and am now attempting to teach my kids. That and because it's so much easier than Spanish.

My kids learn their father's native obscure, Eastern European language. His whole family speaks English, but I pushed for them to speak their mother tongue to the kids so they'd grow up familliar with it. It's been a good decision; it's not formally taught, but is instead studied via immersion.

One child studies French, the other Spanish - both informally, and more conversationally. (Our educational plan calls for conversational Spanish or French during middle school, followed by formal study of any modern language of their choosing during high school.) My son wants to start German in the spring, so we'll dabble with adding that to the mix; his dad and family are all fluent, so it'll be an easy, conversational immersion study.

ETA: I see ASL in the poll. My kids know SEE because that's what I learned as a child, and my siblings and I continue to use it with each other :)

Edited by eternalknot

Latin, Greek, German and French. My dd really wants to add Spanish and Japanese, so I'm going to try to look at squeezing one of those in in the new year. She'll only have time to do about 10-15 min per day but I think the consistency is more important than the time spent per session.

Mandarin and Swedish, both for cultural heritage. I'm pleasantly surprised by how many Scandinavian languages were mentioned by PPs, not so bad for language(s) spoken by at most 9 million (Sweden's population)! :tongue_smilie:

Edited by leeyeewah

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Christine Petit

Although I live in a (very) anglophone community, I feel that learning French has opened doors to travel, work opportunities and cultural experiences! I am very proud that my kids speak french and am always looking for opportunities for us to speak French in our community.