Menu

English from the Roots Up

mnemom

Should I get the book, the flashcards, or both?

And are they even appropriate for a first grader? She is a good reader and loves language.

Thanks!

I am getting both but I have seen people here just get the flashcards and say they are all you need, so take that into consideration also. You could do a search on the forums here if you do not get any other replies. I will be using it with my son who will be 8 by then but I know I have read people using them with 7 year olds. I think it was a review somewhere and since I have a Greek background and my son has been exposed to Greek from birth and some Latin this year I feel we should be ok. I will save it for later if I see we cannot get through it all though, perhaps stretching it out to two years. Also, Rainbow has Vol. 1 listed for grades 1-12 and Vol. 2 for grades 4-12. I hope this helps a little.

I wouldn't use this with a first grader. It says second grade and up, but my kids really got the most out of it at a third or fourth grade level. Sure they could do it at a younger age, but they couldn't wrap their brains around the root concept as well.

I'd choose either the cards to review, or the book and make your own cards. Having both is redundant. (We do the latter on index cards; each kid has their own set.)

I just got the cards a couple days ago, and we've only done two so far, so take this with a grain of salt!

My ds8, average 2nd grader, is having a hard time understanding the concept. He doesn't understand-is it an actual word? If so, why don't we just use it that way instead of as parts of our words? And so on.

He likes it, he just doesn't understand the concept of what roots are and how it all fits together. So consider your 1st graders abilities before purchasing! (my older dd could have done this with no problem in 1st grade)

And I had hoped we could all do this together, but it's too easy for dd11-she could probably do ten cards a day and have it flow better for her than the ONE per day we're doing. I may have to just let her do it on her own so she can pull ahead.

Anyway, so far the cards alone are totally fine.

We have both and I honestly think just the book is enough. You should really have your child make their own flashcards and/or notebooking pages; that is the best way to ensure retention. Plus, the book has interesting little background info; the pre-made flashcards just have the root, meaning and derivatives.

We have both and I honestly think just the book is enough. You should really have your child make their own flashcards and/or notebooking pages; that is the best way to ensure retention. Plus, the book has interesting little background info; the pre-made flashcards just have the root, meaning and derivatives.

:iagree: My dc made their own flashcards. My ds was in 2nd when we started and he did just fine. I guess you could try it out w/your first grader and if it doesn't work out, just save it til the following year.