Menu

No-poo for LITTLE curly girls?

Can you tell me how you do this? DD5 has super curly, fluffy, snarly hair. I'm pretty much down to just using Finesse conditioner in it, and in order to brush it, I need to have a bottle of conditioner water and the TV on, and it's still a struggle. I'd love to try no-poo for her, but I don't really know how to start or what works best for littles. She also hates the smell of vinegar, so I'm not sure how that will factor in *sigh*

Can you tell me your routine?

TIA!

I've been wondering this myself. My DD (1yo) has really curly hair. We do sometimes use baby shampoo, if it's gotten really, really messy (like when she decides to rub all the cream cheese from a bagel into her hair), but I feel like her hair gets so dried out when we do that.

For the most part I've been treating her hair the way I treat mine: wash it with conditioner, then put a little more conditioner through to leave in. That seems to work okay, and it's much easier to comb out.

I don't do anything like vinegar or baking soda with my own hair, just washing it with conditioner (which, from what I understand, is enough to clean the scalp and hair if rubbed in, particularly if you have drier hair that doesn't get oily).

I would totally do it. I have a friend whose daughter has hair like you describe, and I want to borrow her for a week and never wash her hair just to prove to my friend that I'm right! :lol:

I just rinse my hair. I don't use the baking soda, vinegar, or any other stuff. I do wash it with shampoo once a week, but my hair is short and straight, so I can just brush it and it's fine. No one IRL complains about me stinking or being gross...but some of my real friends do post here, so I may hear about it soon...

Just try it for a week or two and maybe use a wide pick with damp hair at first and then start brushing her hair with a boar bristle brush to distribute the oils?

Check out these links, too:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/all-about-the-no-poo-routine-2

http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

Good luck - let us know how it works!

Does anyone use anything on their curly kids' hair after the bath? DD's hair turns into a mass of fluff with no defined curls when it dries, even with no shampoo. I'd love to smooth it out a bit but don't want to start using chemical laden product on a 5-year-old!

Thanks for the advice and links, everyone. I can't afford the book right now, but I can probably glean almost as much online.

I just bathed her and used a baking soda/water/little bit of vinegar solution, then a small amount of conditioner after. Her hair was indeed easier to brush, but that also could be because she just had it washed the night before last too, so we'll see how it goes longer-term. I'm still :bigear: if anyone has more advice!

Edited by melissel

Does anyone use anything on their curly kids' hair after the bath? DD's hair turns into a mass of fluff with no defined curls when it dries, even with no shampoo.

Do you leave in any conditioner, or rinse it all out? Leaving in some conditioner might help. It takes a bit of time to figure out how much to leave in. My DD just needs a teeny, tiny bit (since she's so little); I need quite a bit.

I know a number of people who use Biosilk on their curly kids' hair. It's pricey, but you just use a tiny bit at a time, so it lasts.

Do you leave in any conditioner, or rinse it all out? Leaving in some conditioner might help. It takes a bit of time to figure out how much to leave in. My DD just needs a teeny, tiny bit (since she's so little); I need quite a bit.

I know a number of people who use Biosilk on their curly kids' hair. It's pricey, but you just use a tiny bit at a time, so it lasts.

I have her do a quick rinse, but don't really rinse heavily. And the spray bottle of water I use has some conditioner mixed in. I'll have to look for Biosilk, I've never heard of it, thanks!

My daughter has super curly hair, and I do not use shampoo on it. I rinse it well with water while she has her evening bath (every 2 days or so), and then put in a leave-in conditioner (Kinky Curly brand, no scary chemicals, you can get it at Target) and use a wide-toothed comb to detangle.

In the morning, I just get my hands a little wet (or use a spray bottle if she's willing) and put a tiny dab of the K-C conditioner in my palms and scrunch her hair a bit to define the curl. Doesn't make her hair crunchy! Just soft and curly. :)

Works great!

My two youngest children have uber curly hair, they are black. I know a lot of black people do the co-wash method, basically wash their hair with conditioner ever couple weeks, due to extreme dryness, and curl. I have been using Kinky Curly products on my childen's hair. When my son's hair is wet, it is half way down his back. When it is dry he just has a head full of the most super curly spirals you could imagine, about the size of a pencil. The Kinky Curly products have made his hair so healthy, and define his curls beautifully, keeps them from tangling too! We get stopped regularly by people asking how I do his hair. The products can be used on any curly hair, not necessarily just black hair.

http://www.kinky-curly.com/

I use the Come Clean shampoo on both of them, twice a week, followed by the Knot Today Conditioner. I then use the Curling Custard on DS. DD is only 6 weeks old, so I don't need to do anything more for her, yet! :)

OH! These products smell wonderful! You can find them at Target or Whole Foods, otherwise they need to be ordered on-line.

I'm pretty much down to just using Finesse conditioner in it, and in order to brush it, I need to have a bottle of conditioner water and the TV on, and it's still a struggle.

I would avoid using a brush if at all possible. I'd use a wide-tooth comb instead, both for combing the conditioner in and also for general grooming of wet or dry hair. Invest in a good comb that has smooth edges, maybe something like this one http://www.amazon.com/Revlon-RV2513-Color-Detangling-Colors/dp/B0002YE8F2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305920096&sr=8-1. (LOL, when I was wearing my curly hair curly, I didn't even own a brush, or a blow dryer, for years!) When I grew up, in the days of no conditioner, my mother cut my curls off because she couldn't brush it :glare:.... From time to time, I have actually broken brushes on my hair, though these days I wear it straight so I'm out of the loop with regard to new products.

I would also use a much heavier conditioner than Finesse. I haven't used Finesse in probably more than a decade, but my memory of it is that it's thin.

My current routine with my curly dd (just 22 months, and her hair isn't particularly long yet) is Suave kids 2-in-1 shampoo (for cleaning up all the fruit yogurt, spagetti sauce, butter and jelly :glare:), followed by Aussie 3-Minute Miracle conditioner (thick but inexpensive). As my dd gets older, the contents of the bathroom cabinet are likely to expand exponentially...

I'm eager to read about the no-poo strategies :lurk5:

Edited by wapiti

My oldest has amazingly curly hair. She loves JessiCurl TooShea moisturizing conditioner. She also uses Neutrogena Triple Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. She "pre-conditions" her hair prior to shampooing. THen she uses the tiniest amount possible only on her scalp. Finally, she finishes with JessiCurl. She uses a pick, never ever a comb or brush and only when her hair is wet. HTH!!

My daughter has super curly hair. We use shampoo and conditioner. I don't find it is the shampoo that causes knots, but just every day life. Combing through her hair (which I do wet, just after we condition) is definitely a struggle, but the one thing I have found to help is the use of a wide toothed comb, and NOT a fine toothed comb. The wide one gets the knots out fine, and causes less pulling. I also do not brush her hair at all other than in the bath. It just stays curly and knotty until we bathe.

I don't even own a brush for my super curly hair. I would rinse well with cool water (it will help close the hair shaft), then add some leave in conditioner or smoothing creme, then comb and let air dry.

Blowdrying curly hair can be very damaging. I do own some of those head size hand bands that I will put on like a headband and pull back, so my hair is lifted a little when it dries.

I use conditioner for curly hair and leave in products either for curls or smoothing of the hair, they work best. I have thick, coarse, and dry hair.

I agree with the advice about brushing. I never brush my curly children's hair. We use a wide tooth comb while it is wet with conditioner on it. No combing or brushing between shampoos. DS (2 3/4 y.o.) wears a sleep cap, and I have satin pads that I place under DD's (6 weeks) head when she is napping, in the swing, or in her car seat. It prevents tangling!

DD8 has super curly, long hair. I was saved by DevaCurl's No Poo shampoo and their conditoner, One Condition. But, if were to buy only one product, it would be Moroccan Oil's Intense Hydrating Mask! Saved us many, many tears. I leave it in after her shower. The tangles disappear and the curls are beautiful. I use a wide toothed comb - no brush!

ETA: She also puts her hair in a braid or ponytail every night. This really helps.

Edited by lisabees

A trick to the NoPoo method is to avoid products containing silicone because it weighs the hair down & causes buildup.

I wash my hair with cheapy Suave Naturals conditioner (working it into the scalp only), then condition with Tresemme Silicone Free Conditioner. While I have the conditioner in I use a wide toothed comb to comb through it.

When I get out of the shower, I scrunch it with my head flipped upside down with Aussie Conditioner while it's dripping wet.

Don't use terry cloth towels to absorb water because it can cause frizz. Use an old tshirt to absorb any extra water.

Then I put it back in a headband while it dries.

This also works for my semi-curly/wavy haired DD10.

My dd has long botticcelli fine curls- she rarely shampoos. Once we both read Curly Girl, she just started wetting her daily and using conditioner and a wide toothed comb in the shower. So you condition, comb through the conditioner in the shower, rinse (the thicker the hair, the less you need to rinse at all).

Why don't you just use conditioner? The water should be enough to clean her hair.

I remember those years of combing the knots out of dd's curly hair. And many kids' scalps are so sensitive. We use very big toothed afro combs.

Thank you all. I should have mentioned early on that I have mega curly hair too, but it's not quite as snarly as hers, or hers is drier...or something! Maybe I've just evolved the perfect routine for mine, although I've been buying my post-shower product (John Frieda Wind-Down Creme original formula) on eBay since they discontinued it three years ago :lol: I'm down to my last 9 bottles, and no one sells it anymore. I'm scared!!!! I'll definitely be checking into the Kinky-Curly for myself, and maybe for her too :D

Anyway, I forgot all about the wide-toothed comb, which is funny because I use one on my own hair! Early on, it just seemed to hurt her more, and the brush engenders fewer screams. I don't know why that is, but there you go. Now that we've got a better conditioner going (had to give up on the natural stuff :() and have stopped using shampoo, I'll give the comb a try again.

I didn't know about the T-shirts vs. the terry, I'd never heard that! We never brush dry hair--OMgosh, the screaming! Sometimes I do have to brush in between baths, but we always always always use the spray bottle. It's funny, DD5's hair must be brushed as wet as possible, and DD8's thick, wavy hair has to be as dry as possible. I can't figure that one out! And I never thought of satin pads or pillowcases, that's genius! I usually have her sleep in a pony, but she usually has a cloud of fluffy hair that escapes and snarls anyway. She'd love sleeping on satin--she's that kind of kid :D And we never blow dry--I don't think I've blow dried since college, actually. What a time and energy saver!

OK, I still have to go through the links, but so far, I'll keep avoiding the shampoo for her (doesn't seem to be working well for DD8 though, I may have her go back to it), see if I can use my comb on her when she's not looking, and maybe investigate some kind of post-bath product. She really wants to wear her hear down, but it dries into a giant ball of soft fluff, and she hates that.

Thank you all! I'll have to post some before and after pics if I can find some solutions for her!

I don't have an answer for you, but I must know where you get Finesse? I love Finesse and can't find it in any stores around me!

It was gone for the longest time, but it's been back for a year or so now. I was so happy! All our local stores carry it again. A few months ago I laid in a supply at 99 cents a bottle with coupons and a sale. I really try hard to keep to natural bath and body and home products, but really, nothing beats the Finesse conditioner!

I would also use a much heavier conditioner than Finesse. I haven't used Finesse in probably more than a decade, but my memory of it is that it's thin.

It's definitely not thin anymore. Now it's like a thick cream, and this is the moisturizing Finesse. Strangers stop me and ask what I use in my hair, which is nice because I hated my curls with a passion for years (and my red hair, which made me stand out even more). Now I'm OK with the curl, and I love my color :D I've tried so many conditioners, and they discontinued my very favorite (Citre-shine moisturizing), but Finesse does almost as well.