Menu

quick ? for Apologia Science users

I'm getting ready to put in my order but was wondering if the Anatomy Notebook/Journal is necessary and/or useful? Friends who've done Zoology said they didn't really use the notebook; they just did the experiments at the end of the chapters. I have boys who aren't really interested in coloring or busy work so if its not really useful, I'd rather save the $$.

We liked the notebooks at the beginning (especially the mini books) but it soon grew old. They give you multiple notebooking pages for the same content. We either had to leave blank pages or notebook every single little thing. We ditched them and just enjoyed reading the book, doing narration, and the experiments. I didn't notice any difference in retention.

I love the notebooks. They're beautiful and they look like great fun and since a schedule is included at the front of the book, you would think that they would make your life easier by telling your child what to do every day. You would think. And then, there's reality. If you have a child who loves to create things, loves to make pictures and then draw captions for them, or loves to find pictures on-line and then paste them and write about them.. THAT child might enjoy the notebooks. My current "notebook-age" boys just want to read it, either tell me about it or write a narration about it and move on. So we have these beautiful notebooks that I think look like a great idea, and science takes even more of my time because they just. don't. know. what to put in there. Plus they don't like any of my ideas. I'm saving them for my girls -- maybe they'll like them.

My daughter loves her Apologia notebook. She loves to write and loves to illustrate so this is a real treat for her:D I also like the schedule to tick boxes.

There are free notebooking pages for each course on the Apologia website. Maybe try those, there's no busy work like in the ready made notebook and you can choose which ones to do.