Menu

Lone Star Tick bite-STARI?

Dh was bitten by a Lone Star Tick the other night. He was mowing the lawn and noticed it (in his bellybutton!) a couple hours later.

He removed it and sprayed the area with hydrogen peroxide. The past two days it's been red and oozing pus.

From what I've read, Lone Star ticks don't carry lyme but can cause something called STARI-Southern Tick Associated Rash Illness.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/stari/

I can't seem to find much info on this though. Has anyone else here experienced this or know more about it?

I think dh is going to try to get some antibiotics today, but we're not sure if he needs the longer dose times like with lyme or if a shorter course would be sufficient.

Since we are new to the are, we don't have a regular family doc yet so I think he will just end up at an Urgent Care type place and I doubt they would know much about this either.

The redness and some oozing may be that the head wasn't removed, and the body is trying to expel it. I wouldn't worry, just treat it w/ an antibiotic ointment, and watch for other symptoms.

From your link: "Persons should monitor their health closely after any tick bite, and should consult a physician if they experience a rash, fever, headache, joint or muscle pains, or swollen lymph nodes within 30 days of a tick bite. In most circumstances, treating persons who only have a tick bite is not recommended."

ETA: I got a tick bite in mid march, and still have a red spot that itches occasionally. It did the red/oozing thing for a couple of days after....maybe even for a week.

Edited by Unicorn