Menu

LCCers, what're you doing next year?

I am,(like everyone else :tongue_smilie:) a modified LCCer, and this is what I am planning on for next year:

Ds (3rd)

Latin: Latina Christiana I

Math: Math Mammoth 3

Writing: CW Aesop A , after we finish WWE2

Grammar: FLL 3 (I just can't seem to drop it...)

Classical Studies: Famous Men of Greece

Literature: Black Ships Before Troy, The Wanderings of Odysseus

Bible: Vos Story Bible

DD (1st)

Math: Math Mammoth 1

Phonics: OPGTR

Writing: WWE1

Grammar: FLL1

Literature: Lang's Red and Blue Books of Fairy Tales

Bible: Vos Story Bible

Both together:

(This is where I tend to modify, and shift to a more CM approach to content areas)

History (US Discovery to 1850): Literature based, with Pratt as a spine and some History Pockets activities (I got an outline from Guest Hollow.)

Science: Chemistry: Adventures with Atoms and Molecules, How to Think like a Scientist and GEMS Secret Formulas

Geography: Beautiful Feet's US Geography using the Holling C Holling books.

ETA: Both kids have a binder of memory work as well, including English Monarchs, American Presidents, Preambles to Dec. of Ind. and Constitution, 2-3 poems each and some random stuff (Great lakes, names of the Muses etc.) We work on this daily, chugging along till we get through.

Edited by urpedonmommy

I'll play. :)

My two oldest are combined for many subjects; the youngest boy is on his own track with the little sister listening in--she wants school time, too.

Our mornings are mostly the basics-- memory work/penmanship, grammar/free reading/phonics, Latin/Greek, Math. I start the older two on their memory work/penmansip/free reading (things they can do without me), while I do phonics and handwriting with the youngest boy. Sister listens in and "writes" on her paper. :) Then the younger two go create havoc in another room while I do intensive teaching with the older two in math, Latin/Greek, and grammar. Most of the time we are able to get all the morning work done before lunch, but sometimes something will get bumped to the afternoon. No big deal.

In the afternoons, we do science once a week, world history two times a week, American studies once a week, classical studies once a week, and fine arts study every other week (the "other" Friday afternoon is our catch up day). Bible reading is daily in the afternoons, using Memoria's Christian Studies to help it all stick.

Here's what we are plugging into this framework for next year:

• Math the upcoming 3rd and 4th grader will both be doing MEP/Miquon and some Singapore. Ditto for the soon to be first grader. My soon to be 4 year old will do MEP Reception when I can...;)
  • Latin 4th grader will finish up LfC A with second half of GSwL; 3rd grader will begin LfC A and finish up GSwL
  • Greek both 3rd and 4th grader do this together; they will continue crawling through Elementary Greek I
  • Grammar both older boys will do Abeka grammar this year. Nice, independent workbooks that will keep last year's concepts from FLL 2 and 3 fresh. We narrate/write across the subjects--think SWB's writing plans. Looove those audio lectures from Peace Hill Press.
  • Science older two boys will do Properties of Matter (God's Design Science) together
  • World History SOTW 3
  • American Studies Artner's unit 3, and then a geography/cultural study with Minn of the Mississippi (we did Tree in the Trail this year)
  • Classical Studies D'Aulaire's Greek Myths with Memoria's study guide for the older two
  • Christian Studies Memoria's Christian Studies I for the older two

The youngest boy will still be plugging away with mostly phonics (Phonics Pathways), handwriting, math, and lots of reading of folk tales (Aesop, American tall tales, and world myths). His history this year will be to go through Genesis with me, tying in some ancient civ. with it (Mesopotamia, Egypt...)His science will be watching Nature on PBS and then reading/writing on each week's show.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
forgot some stuff...

Honestly, I don't know and i'm trying to stop thinking about it so much. We've been doing Middle Ages-Ren. & Reformation this year and i'm trying to decide if we should move on to Early American or just go back and use the LCC2 rec's. I posted two plans that i'm considering, one using the multi stream history approach and the other using the single stream approach. I guess i'll just grab one and go when we start our new year. :) These plans are based on things I have already, can get at the library or can get online cheaply or free. If you have a plan that you prefer let me know because i'm having a hard time deciding. I actually have a third plan, but didn't want to post it because I don't want anyone to think i'm crazy:lol:

Plan 1:

Singapore math 2B/3A

Writing Trails in Am. history

Song School Latin/English for the Thoughtful child/TRAH (spelling)

Lit.: VP year 3

Classical studies: D'aulaire's Greek Myths

Christian studies: CLP Studying God's Word D or ?

Modern studies: VP Explorers-1815 or American Pioneers and Patriots

Geography: Map trek & Around the World

Science: Adventures with Atoms and Molecules

Plan 2:

Singapore math 2B/3A

CW Aesop A

Song School Latin/TRAH (spelling)

Lit.: The Moffats, Homer Price ( can't remember the others)

History: D'aulaire's Greek Myths

Christian Studies: CLP Studying God's Word D or ?

Geography: Map Trek & Around the World

Science: Adventures with Atoms and Molecules

VP cards & The Harp and Laurel Wreath for recitation

My dd is going into 5th grade, but because she was in a cottage school in 2nd grade and a private school in 3rd, she's pretty far out of the normal LCC sequence for history and literature. She did Greek myths in 2nd grade and lots of Greek, Roman, and medieval history and lit. in 3rd. When we came back home this year for 4th grade, I decided to take advantage of her sudden enthusiasm for history, and we have read our way through SOTW 3 and 4 plus a variety of novels (The Prince and Pauper, Stories from Don Quixote, Tom Sawyer, Around the World in 80 Days).

So next year we're returning to the Ancients, but with some Asian classics added in, since dd has had very little exposure to them. We'll continue on in the historical sequence as far as we can. I'm also considering beginning a modern foreign language with her (Mandarin), as an extra challenge, but I'm not 100% sure about that yet.

Here's what I have so far:

• Latin: Henle First Year. Beginning next week and continuing through the summer. Hoping to finish at least through Unit II by June 2012.
  • Math: LOF. Decimals & Percents this summer, Pre-Algebra in the fall.
  • Composition: CW Homer A w/Hake Grammar 7
  • History: Suzanne Strauss Art Early Times series; Kingfisher and SOTW as references/review
  • Literature: Gilgamesh the Hero, Black Ships before Troy, Ramayana, Jataka Tales, Magical Monkey King, Julius Caesar (Young Readers Shakespeare), In Search of a Homeland...
  • Science: Evolution Revolution; Evolution: How We and All Living Things Came to Be; Hakim's Story of Science; Thames & Kosmos Milestones of Science

Dd9 (4th grade):

MTWThF

Singapore Math 3A/3B

Latin for Children A

Writing Tales 1

Queen's Language Lessons (on her own)

Dictation (in place of traditional spelling)

German

MTW

Sotw Vol 1.

She'll also do this, each once a week but I haven't set days yet:

Christian Studies 1

Literature Study

Classical Studies (Greek Myths/FMoR)

Artistic Pursuits

Nature Study

6 week Shakespeare Study

My ds6 (1st/2nd):

MTWThF

CLE Math 1

Finish OPGTR

Copywork

He will tag along for most of the things dd will do.

They will both have daily outside time, required reading (dd for one hour, ds 1/2 hour) and free reading.

Here's what I have so far:

• Latin: Henle First Year. Beginning next week and continuing through the summer. Hoping to finish at least through Unit II by June 2012.

• Math: LOF. Decimals & Percents this summer, Pre-Algebra in the fall.

• Composition: CW Homer A w/Hake Grammar 7

• History: Suzanne Strauss Art Early Times series; Kingfisher and SOTW as references/review

• Literature: Gilgamesh the Hero, Black Ships before Troy, Ramayana, Jataka Tales, Magical Monkey King, Julius Caesar (Young Readers Shakespeare), In Search of a Homeland...

• Science: Evolution Revolution; Evolution: How We and All Living Things Came to Be; Hakim's Story of Science; Thames & Kosmos Milestones of Science

So very nice to 'see' you again! :)

• 2 weeks later...

:waves at Plaid Dad: Good to see you, missed this earlier.

We use LCC as our framework, I call it adapted classical. Adapted strictly for my child. We focused on Asian history this year, which was wonderful, but we're back to a world-focused history next fall.

Here's our plans for fall, 8th grade:

Latin: Finish Latin Alive book I, move to book II

Math: Algebra (finish LOF) and use MEP level 9.

Literature: LL LotR

Composition: Combination of many things, including Rulebook for Arguments

History: History/Humanities of Renaissance, Reformation, and Elizabethan times using many materials

Science: Computer science along with history of science. Using Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything and Boorstin's The Discoverers

Logic/Philosophy: CAP's Discovery of Deduction, with The Story of Philosophy and Sophie's World. Plus a study on the movie Inception (custom designed)

Japanese: Irasshai Year 1 (a restart from a failed attempt this year) We're doing Japanese is lieu of Greek.

We're also doing hiking and he is learning carpentry from dh. If we get to it this summer he'll be learning some electronics from my dad.

Well, I would call us an LCC/WTM hybrid, but we are using LCC Lit & Geography recs next year. We are also using Memoria Press (which I think is based on LCC) resources. Here are our LCC picks for a younger student:

Latin: Song School Latin (2nd half of year, just an intro before we move into Prima Latina)

Lit: D'Aulaires Greek Mythology & D'Aulaires Norse Myths

Geography: Beginning Geography by Evan Moor

Phonics: SRA Phonics 2 (From Memoria Press 1 curriculum)

Penmanship: New American Cursive 1 (Memoria Press 1)

:thumbup:I'm happy to see Plaid Dad back !

We just started fifth grade last week after a three month break for SPRING. After the winter we had you'd best believe we were happy to see the snow all go bye-bye. My daughter is less than happy with Latin, so I may cast about for something after Prima Latina. Writing Strands is new to us, and if it works out we'll stick with it. Singapore math is doing a great job, even if she is a bit behind. The biggest issue I have right now is summer activities. There are almost NONE being offered where we live. Added to that is the fact that there will be no spraying for gnats or mosquitoes this summer. We're not sure what to do for PE this summer. Free reading is tied to history, and I posted the list of books somewhere here on the boards. Literature is going really well, I am surprised to say my daughter is enjoying Beowulf (retold for kids). Logic is scaring me she finds it so easy. One or two tries and she has it. Just glancing down the list I see she enjoys/tolerates just about all of it.

Daily

· Latin - Prima Latina

· Composition - Writing Strands 3

· Math - Singapore 3A

· Chores – Making bed, scooping and taking out her kitten’s litter box, dusting the house, putting away her laundry and other stuff I can’t think of right now.

· PE - Summer activities

· Reading - a home library built on “Honey for a Child’s Heartâ€

Weekly

· Literature - history suggestions from LCC

· Logic - Red Herrings 1

· Religion - Christian Studies 1

· Nature Study - good question right now

· History – SOTW 2 and Kingfisher encyclopedia

· Geography - Europe by Evan-Moore

· Art/ Music - “Art for Kids; Drawingâ€; Music - listen to Classical music one a week