Menu

Is it just me?....(Saxon vs. Singpore issue)

mhg

We suppliment Singapore because we like math! : ) My kids are quick at learning and go through the books very quickly. I add in Miquon in K -2 because we get to come at math from another angle and it keeps us from running out of math. I also add in Singapore Intensive Practice books - same reason.

My ds #2 told me tonight that Singapore math is interesting and fun! :)

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again,

I am doing that now and it is NOT working. For example in the Extra Practice US Edition Book for 2 I have only found 4 pages that deal with time(p 87-90)...not enough for us. Money has a few more pages but still not enough to rotate into a spiral program.

Thanks,

Penny

I buy a used Abeka Math Curriculum guide. You can usually find one relatively cheap on eBay. I use the guide as a review of these kinds of concepts. I agree, my kids needed a bit more review on topics like time, money and measurements. I use the Abeka lesson plans for an oral and chalkboard review of these types of concepts. This year I also purchased one of their workbooks and assigned a few problems. Since Singapore doesn't take as long - as has been so well noted here in the debate - I have had plenty of time to add these elements. With both, I feel like my kids are getting such an amazing foundation in Math! It still doesn't take more than 1 hour to do all of this. I get the conceptual Math from Singapore and some spiral review from Abeka. It feels like the best of both worlds to me.

So many think doing temperature everyday is silly, but Saxon begins to use it as data collection to chart graphs in Saxon 2. And, with learning time, Saxon works in minutes and asks about what time it would be 3 hours from now or an hour ago etc. There is definitely a method to it. There is no meeting book past level 3.

I realize some kids pick things up quickly, but I don't think it is the majority of children. My kids need actual lessons taught to them that clearly takes more than 20 minutes a day.

Not at all! My 2.5 yo started climbing up in his brother's bunk bed at 6mo. We had to take the ladder down each morning. He can play up there now but no sleeping yet. I used to be firm about no gum or popcorn til 5 but I'm getting lax. I let them take a gum test at 4. My middle guy failed it and had to wait til 5. What's this thread about again? :lol:

When my oldest turned 6, I said "Hey, you can sleep on the top bunk of your bunk bed!", which he'd been doing for a year already (the sticker says not to use it until age 6, and he had read that warning at 5). Then he replied "And I can eat hot dogs!" :lol: Yes, he'd also eaten hot dogs all his life. The package does say not to give them to children under 6 though. Who actually waits until 6 to feed their kid a hot dog? :001_huh: (barring those who don't feed hot dogs in general)

Dawn, do tell about iPhone apps! (On my iPhone right now and can't figure out how to quote that part of your post. :D)

These are the math apps I have installed. I believe nearly all were free.

Brain Thaw Lite

Flash to Pass

Fractions App

Math Academy

Math Ninja

Rocket Math Free

Times Tables Warp

Hyper Math Extreme

Let's Tans Deluxe

24 Game

i Slash

I also downloaded all nine of the free Everyday Mathematics apps they had running during a special. I don't think they are free right now.

Logic and physics games (according to Ben)

Red Remover (started with lite, then bought regular)

Touch Physics Lite

Tap Out

Matchsticks

Moron Free

LGB Free

Enigmo 2

Mummy's Treasure

Rat on the Run

Urban Ninja

Tiny Wings

Spikey's Bounce Around Lite

Mr. Giggle

Slice it Begins

Action Reaction

All in One Logic Game Box Free

Fling Free

Groove Pillars

Jirbo Says for Kids

Twins Candy

Matching Zoo

Angry Birds

Language Arts

Bee Spelled

Grammar Fun

Word Sort

Chicktionary Lite

Hangman

Mad Libs

Science (and see physics above)

Brain Pop

History and Geography

Brain Pop

I Teach States

Stack the States

Stack the Countires

Music

Melody Match Lite

Edited by nestof3

We have a bunch of the apps already mentioned, but one I haven't seen included in the list (and a good one) is Brain Challenge. It isn't all math per se (it has memory and logic type puzzles too) but is is a good little mental workout.

Bill

We have a bunch of the apps already mentioned, but one I haven't seen included in the list (and a good one) is Brain Challenge. It isn't all math per se (it has memory and logic type puzzles too) but is is a good little mental workout.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I searched a lot when I first got my iphone, but I haven't looked around in a while. Off to see. :D