Menu

does a resource like this exist? (pre-math)

craftyerin

OK, I know that the right answer for what to do for math with preschoolers is count, sort, order, compare, etc. as you go about daily life. BUT I am so right-brained that even that sounds hard! I need ideas! My engineer husband would die if my kids turned out to be as math-phobic as I am. Is there a resource that would help me? No writing component, not looking for a workbook for the kids, just suggestions like "eat oranges, talk about halves, quarters, etc, as you separarate the sections." Anything?

Edited by craftyerin

More Than Counting is what I used as a preschool teacher. I made a lot of the games and materials in the book (even the ones on the cover) and they were a big hit.

You can also use sequence cards (available at a teacher store or online), buy some things to sort at the dollar store, match paint samples and counter top samples (just pluck them from the displays at Home Depot--they are free), play games like Uno and War and Go Fish...It really is easy. Set up three or four small trays (also at the dollar store) with activities on them and rotate stuff every week. Don't forget about puzzles, too--they teach spatial concepts along with other math concepts, no matter what the puzzle itself is about.

Edited by Chris in VA

Erin! Good to see you here! :D Family Math for Young Children is a good one. Or Games for Math by Peggy Kaye. I think I've checked both out from the library, but I can't remember which was more appropriate for preschoolers.

ps Are you in NOLA already?

Katy! I've missed you--I need to call you! No, we move next week, but I didn't feel like having to remember to update my location when I started my account here last week.

I trust your guidance on math, since you're my least math-phobic friend.:D

Ok, another one... Math Play! Again, I haven't used this specific title, but own several other titles in this series and enjoy them.

This one looks good, too. Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!

Peggy Kaye's Games for Math is sort of similar to Family Math.

MEP has a "reception" math curriculum that's very simple and a gentle intro.

We didn't do any formal math for preK or K - we read lots of books and played lots of games. We especially liked the Mitsumasa Anno math books and the Stuart J Murphy MathStart books, as well as the Greg Tang books and several others. There's lots of good picture books for math at this age. And lots of games.

Essential Math (singapore's K books) has suggestions down at the bottom of each page telling the teacher how to teach the concepts using manipulatives. You could go through those and teach the concepts without using the WB, then use the wb when child is ready for them. EM A is great for pre-k and EM B is great for K, at least around this house.