Menu

Question about notifying?

(I hope I didn't already ask this question on here... I'm really not sure, but I don't *think* I have. :tongue_smilie:)

I'm having some trouble figuring out what to do about registering this year as a homeschool. DD is 5, and we are in Maryland, so this coming year is our first "official" year.

Here's the situation though. Our "primary" address (the one on my driver's license, the one I use for financial aid, etc.) is in Charles County. But we actually LIVE most of the year in Wicomico County (since this is where I go to school.) I didn't change my address because I'll only be here until I graduate, and it really never made sense to change everything over. (Plus- I don't have any of the required documents I'd need to change, I don't have bills where I live, no lease, no mail... nothing. I rent an apartment that's attached to my landlord's house.)

No problem until I started thinking about where I'd send the letter. Charles County or Wicomico County? I suppose it doesn't really matter, I could just register in Charles County, but it would be a pain to schedule portfolio reviews all the way back home and possibly miss school to do them. I mean, if I really counted the days we are probably there nearly as much as we are here (summers, holidays, every other weekend, school breaks..)

Any thoughts from those more experienced than I? I'm so confused.... :tongue_smilie:

I'd probably go with the county where your child resides - puts her head at night.

Just checked Maryland law and it looks like you can just ask for an exemption since she is only 5. That would solve the problem for this year anyway. :) Otherwise' date=' I'd go with where you're actually living for convenience.[/quote']

You know, I considered applying for the exception- but I wasn't sure if that would cause an issue later or anything. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you both. I guess I'll have to call the board of education and figure out how to register in this county. I mean, I assume they'd have to figure out a way to get her register if I were going to send her to school, so I guess we'll have to work it out somehow.

You know, I considered applying for the exception- but I wasn't sure if that would cause an issue later or anything. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you both. I guess I'll have to call the board of education and figure out how to register in this county. I mean, I assume they'd have to figure out a way to get her register if I were going to send her to school, so I guess we'll have to work it out somehow.

The person you get at the state board of education is going to be someone who spends 98% of their time on issues relating to students enrolling in the district. You may or may not get a complete or correct answer about homeschooling from whomever you get on the phone. Not because they are nefarious, but just because it may be something they are rather unfamiliar with.

Have you checked a state wide homeschool group for MD?

I don't think you'd have much of a problem down the line with going for the exemption. You could probably even still declare her as a 1st grader next year.