Menu

Singapore's Discovering Mathematics after MM?

Any opinions on using DM after MM 6B? Obviously, this wouldn't be us for a while. :) But, I really like the idea of integrated math in the later years and DM seems like it may be a good option for us at that point. Would the terminology be too different? Would it be too big a leap not having used Singapore from the beginning? Now would be the perfect time for us to switch to SM so I'm trying to gather enough info to be sure about my math decisions.

We're using Discovering Mathematics, but after Singapore Primary. But I keep hearing how similar MM is to Singapore?

If you're looking for an integrated math, I do love DM and would recommend it. We're actually bailing and going to Algebra I next year, but that's because my kids may go to ps for high school and so I'm transitioning to a more traditional non-integrated US sequence, not because there's anything the matter with DM. I'm going to miss it. :tongue_smilie:

Perhaps this needs to be a new thread?

Matroyska and WishboneDawn - which books did you purchase for Discovering Mathematics? Student text, teacher text, workbook? Is the workbook supplemental or necessary in your opinion? Does the teacher book add value? I'm ready to try DM for next year!

Matroyska and WishboneDawn - which books did you purchase for Discovering Mathematics? Student text, teacher text, workbook? Is the workbook supplemental or necessary in your opinion? Does the teacher book add value? I'm ready to try DM for next year!

Student Text A & B - These have just the answers for both student and teaching problems (Try It!) in the back of the book.

Teacher Guides A & B - These are really mostly Solutions Guides - there's a sample schedule which I didn't find terribly useful at all, but no teaching hints or ideas like in the HiGs or Primary TGs. They have full solutions for all the student problems in the text, as well as the teaching problems (Try It!), and additionally answers to the Class Activities.

Workbook - These are like the analogue to the Intensive Practice books for Primary Math. Not necessary, but the questions are taken up a notch (or maybe two or three). The workbook problems also integrate review and application of previous concepts in a way that the textbook questions don't necessarily. The workbook also has optional Midterm and Final exams for the program. Answers only are in the back.

Workbook TE - This has the solutions to the workbook questions. I did not buy it, because I couldn't see spending $30 on the thing, especially as it only became available when we'd already worked partway through the book already, but it's kinda nuts that I have all the solutions to the more straightforward text questions, and have to scratch my head and work through things myself sometimes to figure out what's going on with these. In retrospect, it's probably worth it.

Test Bank - If you want to give tests (and I decided to this year, as I wanted to give them practice studying for and taking tests), this is a nice resource. Lots of questions, assigned Low, Medium, or High difficulty for each chapter. You can pick and choose which ones you'd like to make a test up with. Full solutions are included in the text.

Student Text A & B - These have just the answers for both student and teaching problems (Try It!) in the back of the book.

Teacher Guides A & B - These are really mostly Solutions Guides - there's a sample schedule which I didn't find terribly useful at all, but no teaching hints or ideas like in the HiGs or Primary TGs. They have full solutions for all the student problems in the text, as well as the teaching problems (Try It!), and additionally answers to the Class Activities.

Workbook - These are like the analogue to the Intensive Practice books for Primary Math. Not necessary, but the questions are taken up a notch (or maybe two or three). The workbook problems also integrate review and application of previous concepts in a way that the textbook questions don't necessarily. The workbook also has optional Midterm and Final exams for the program. Answers only are in the back.

Workbook TE - This has the solutions to the workbook questions. I did not buy it, because I couldn't see spending $30 on the thing, especially as it only became available when we'd already worked partway through the book already, but it's kinda nuts that I have all the solutions to the more straightforward text questions, and have to scratch my head and work through things myself sometimes to figure out what's going on with these. In retrospect, it's probably worth it.

Test Bank - If you want to give tests (and I decided to this year, as I wanted to give them practice studying for and taking tests), this is a nice resource. Lots of questions, assigned Low, Medium, or High difficulty for each chapter. You can pick and choose which ones you'd like to make a test up with. Full solutions are included in the text.

It's too bad they didn't include the answers with the workbook (without having to spend another $30!). And I looked at a sample of the Test Bank - it's a shame they include the answers right with the problems so you have to copy your own test. Don't they know we're busy homeschool moms that don't have time to copy math problems for a test? :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for your helpful input!

Matroyska's got a good summary. I'd buy those 3 again. Based on Matroyska's post I might also get the test bank. My daughter could use more reinforcement and practice with tests. I didn't get the WB TE and haven't missed it.

Edited by WishboneDawn

We usually work through a chapter then go back to the workbook for review.

This is how we use it too. We do the whole chapter, then do the exercises in the workbook. There are a lot of exercises in the workbook - we usually skip the simpler ones (Basic Practice) and do most of the meaty ones (Further Practice, Challenge and Enrichment).

This is how we use it too. We do the whole chapter, then do the exercises in the workbook. There are a lot of exercises in the workbook - we usually skip the simpler ones (Basic Practice) and do most of the meaty ones (Further Practice, Challenge and Enrichment).

Good plan. We've been working through Basic Practice but probably don't need to. I may steal this idea.

I'm pretty tickled to be on the vanguard of a fantastic new curriculum. I'm usually the last person in line to use something. :)