Menu

Excited about Apologia/Question about Zoology

kandty

I got Exploring Creation with Botany and I can't wait to start it with my kids! I had ignored the Apologia Science because of a bad review that a friend gave me. But, I was looking for a great Botony program and decided to give it a try. I have looked at it and it is exactly what I wanted and I am excited to get started with it. We just plan to do 16 week schedule for Botony. If it goes well I plan to do the Zoology afterwards. How long does each Zoology book take to complete? My boys will be 2nd and 5th grade next year and I would like to get done with the 3 zoology books and astronomy by the end of 6th grade for my oldest.

I think Botany was the most difficult book we've done so far. I definitely don't have a green thumb! Be aware that some of the experiments are done over longer time periods in the botany book. So plan ahead.

I've always taken a relaxed pace with the books and done all the journaling. We took a year for Zoology 2. How long the books take depends on how much time you want to devote per week and how much notebooking you do.

We are doing Zoology 1 now, and planning on Zoology 2 next year. I suppose if you are doing one lesson/week instead of taking 2 weeks to do a lesson, you could finish two books in one year. It depends too on how much time you devote to science and how much extra stuff you do (experiments, journals, etc).

I'm sure your older one could get through two books in one year. You might want to spread out the reading for your younger one, though. My younger kids can sit through 1/2 a lesson's reading in one sitting, so if we did science daily, we could finish each lesson in a week. They are K, 2nd, and 4th grade this year.

You may want to check to see how many pages are in the different books. We did Zoology 3 and it was a thick book, much thicker than Botany. The information isn't that complicated in Zoology 3, in particular, but it's long.

Although both Zoology 3 and Botany (and now the A&P book) were very interesting to my dc and coop students, I do find that you really don't want to do more than a 3-5 pages in one sitting.

I think Zoology 1 may be the shortest in the series. You may get through Botany 1 and Zoology in one year, but Zoology 2 & 3 in one year would be tough on your little guy.

Whatever you decide, plan according to the climate where you live, I think it's better to do Botany when things are blooming and Zoology 1 would be best when there are flying things around.

Hope these random thoughts help.:)

• 2 months later...
I was just planning that out, we're going to try to do 2 Zoology books this year and it looks like we would read 3-4 pages per day (looking at Zoology 3 right now) depending on whether that was for 4 days or 5.

Thanks for this information. It makes sense.

For the coop homework, I scheduled one book per year. I scheduled Botany for an average of 3 pages for two days a week. For Zoology 3, it was more like 3 pages 3 days a week. For A&P, I intentionaly scheduled for 2 days a week for convenience with about 4 or 5 pages each time. This makes me think I could comfortably do Zoology 1 and 2 in a year with about three pages per day--if dd still wants to do it.

I'm still thinking that I have the Harcourt sixth grade science book on my shelf with the Kolbe plans so it would make sense to just use that.:glare: