Menu

CNED questions... oh Cleo...

First off thanks to your detailed instructions in the post below, I finally found something useful on the CNED site! Yes!

Next- do you feel like sending away for the grading is helpful? Are you unable to grade the work yourself, or do you just prefer an outside opinion?

I like the idea of just downloading and printing the free books, but if you feel the grading aspect really adds to it, I'd like more details. :-) :bigear:

Thanks!

I personally like an outside opinion, because I am no good at grading written compositions. So we get the grading aspect (and printed books for the same cost) for French, our main language). Then we also get the full package for Spanish - I couldn't evaluate their written Spanish, Latin and Mandarin, for the same reasons. I'm not comfortable enough in those languages to be able to spot all the mistakes when they write paragraphs.

Also, if I wanted to print the books in colour it would cost me the same price. I basically get the grading for free, if I look at it that way. On top of that, the pages are meant for A4 printing, which I can't get done here. I much prefer having the printed manuals sent to me.

You have two options if you're going with the paying approach.

You can take every single course in a level, and pay a fixed fee. Or you can choose your courses, and pay per course. That's what we do. I go with my budget.

It is also possible that you qualify for the full grade for a huge discount (something like 100$ for everything!). I don't, because I live within driving distance to some French schools following the French cursus and not just the provincial one.

The Histoire/Geographie/Civics, we do with the PDF file. The Civics just don't apply to us, and I skip over it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Get a money order in Euros. Don't do a money transfer (aka a wire). It's too complicated, Europe has a different system, and North American bank tellers don't know what to do (unless you get someone who's done it before)

Good advice, I recently lost $50 that way. $30 fee for the transfer, then when they couldn't get it to go through, it was deposited back into my account minus $20.