Menu

Random question for those who bring tons of library bks home...

hlee

So I have destroyed 3 rolling carts now from lugging my books back and forth to the library every week and wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions for something more durable that has worked for them! I really need it to be on wheels but want it to last! Anyone have suggestions? Thanks much!

We have a rolling suitcase that has been going strong for about 5 years. It's just a cheap-o from Target, but it just won't break. I also like it because --unlike a rolling cart--you can zip it shut and nothing spills out. It's easier to heave into the van than a rolling cart.

I just make everyone bring back packs ;)

4 backpacks full should be enough right? (okay, I usually end up with a backpack and a bag that I carry, although my older boys are getting strong enough they can carry a back pack and a bag (or the 2yo) :D)

I have a huge free bag I got at a conference and it hasn't broke yet! I can't believe it has survived. My shoulder on the other hand breaks everytime. I have seen homeschool families at our library go inside and get a library book cart and take it out to their cars and fill it up with books. Maybe your library would let you do the same and you could just have your books in a plastic tote that the kids can help you carry between the car and home. Good luck!

This is why we drive to the library now. So sad since we live within walking distance of two of them that we drive ten minutes away to use the one with a parking lot... but c'est la vie. That's the one with better children's books anyway.

Just thought I would add a tip that I have found to be helpful.....wear steel-toed boots when lugging huge quantities of library books.

:lol:this made me laugh!

When we walked to the library, we also used rolling suitcases. Worked perfectly--though sometimes they had to be checked by the security guard because the security thingy couldn't read all those books to make sure we had reallly checked them all out.

I bought a little dolly for this very purpose. Its earned me the nickname, "Mrs. Dolly" at the library. It collapses (the handle) to be about 14" wide and 18" long-ish when stored in my van. I just get it out, elongate the handle and voila! I just put my biggest book on the bottom and stack the rest on top and roll away. Before this I had a little zip up luggage with wheels but it perished.

I love the idea of a rolling cart, or suitcase. I kill my shoulder trying to carry around a huge bag and never even thought about bringing something on wheels. I like having all of our library books in the same place and always returned to that place when done, so I don't think bookbags for everyone would work out. ( I know us ;))

My brother was very hard on bags/backpacks growing up, so my parents found a company with a lifetime guarantee and went with that for his school bag/backpack. About every year, they would trade it in for a new one when he killed it! One year they had to turn it in twice!! But, my parents were great salespeople for the company, they recommended it to everyone. It was one of the big outdoor companies, I don't remember which.

Googling, it looks like L.L. bean was a lifetime guarantee on their rolling backpacks, you could try getting a few of those.

"Mrs. Dolly" again......thought of one more addendum.

The problem I had with the luggage is that when I got to the library checkout, I'd have to flatten it (lay it on its broadside) to upzip it and then"flap"/lid would be yet another addition to my taking-up-too-much-square-footage issue, so as I unloaded it it I'd have to watch that other patrons didn't trip over my luggage and flap while I did my 8 squats to get my stuff out and onto the check out table. Also, the books would all slide down to the one end during transit and it wasn't quite as tidy. I have a little pouch thing tied at my top handle where I put our few DVDs as they'll slide off the top, but otherwise my books get on the dolly and I bungie cord them in and off we go. Good luck.

Halcyon, I had 3 of those exact kinds of rolling carts! The bottoms have all broken and fallen apart due to the weight of our books. =)

I have back issues and that is why I'm trying to avoid the tote bag approach...

The rolling suitcase is a good idea, though! I may look into that idea!

Thanks everyone, for the input!

I just make everyone bring back packs ;)

4 backpacks full should be enough right? (okay, I usually end up with a backpack and a bag that I carry, although my older boys are getting strong enough they can carry a back pack and a bag (or the 2yo) :D)

:iagree:

We have been using this method but, I like the wagon idea for this summer when we can walk to the library.