Menu

Help me spice up our math a bit

We've been using MUS for 4 years. I'm happy with the program and pleased how my dc are understanding math. But I sense that my kids could use a bit of variety. I thought maybe we could use MUS as our base and just throw in a day or possibly 2 in a week where we do something else.

I've looked at SM and even borrowed it from a friend to really put my hands on it. Saxon is overkill I think. I even tossed the idea of just buying the Horizons workbooks and using those a couple days a week.

I'm sure there is something out there that will fit our family's needs. What am I missing. Oh, inexpensive would be an added bonus. My homeschool budget is about maxed for next year.

We are MUS users and I've really enjoyed Crewton Ramone's website. Crewton uses Mortensen Math, which is what Steve Demme did before he started MUS. While the two programs are similar, sometimes I find differences that really do help my kids understand. Plus I find it has made me a better teacher! I follow him on Facebook so I know whenever he adds a new video. Just fyi - sometimes his comments or items he posts on Facebook are really geared more towards adults. So I filter ;)

http://www.crewtonramoneshouseofmath.com/

We recently started incorporating activities from About Teaching Mathematics by Marilyn Burns. We are all very happy with it and I only wish I would have found it sooner. This morning the kids made their own Metric Length Books and we'll be filling them with all sorts of activities. I like that it's not a whole curriculum so I don't feel pressured to do all of it.

I think what I am going to do is keep using our main math (Math Mammoth), but thrown in some more fun stuff to keep dd interested. I'm using Family Math and Peggy Kaye's Games for Math, as well as some critical thinking workbooks like Mind Benders. I think that will keep it a little bit more interesting.

My main program is MM, and I recently spiced it up by adding in Singapore's IPs and CWP, plus Zacarro's Primary Grade Challenge Math. My son loves all of these, especially CWP and PCM (he loves word problems!).

I seem to recall people saying MUS is light on the word problems? If so, CWP would probably be a good choice.