Menu

For those of you combining MEP, MM (or SM), and Miquon...

JEMama

How do you schedule your weeks? Do you do 2 days each of MM and MEP (alternating) and one day of Miquon? Or do you do a little Miquon each day on top of one of the other two?

I don't plan on lining up any of the program contents... Do you think that will be ok? Or would it confuse the kids?

Also, since MM and MEP are both complete programs, how long did it take to finish both? If you alternate days, did you change the pacing (1 MEP lesson per day, 1-2 pages of MM a day) in order to finish in a year?

Lastly, how long does it take a student to go through all of the Miquon books? I read somewhere that it's roughly 2 books a year, but I've also read that some kids finish Miquon before starting another program (which suggests that they finish it faster?). I know Miquon is discovery math, and the pacing is really up to the child, but I just want to get an idea of how long others have taken to complete the program.

Thanks for helping this newbie out!

We combine Singapore, MM, and Miquon. We kind of change it up from time to time. We started out by doing MM to introduce the topic and Singapore for independent work. Miquon was used on Friday for fun lab math time.

Lately, she has been needing more work in one chunk. Not that she really needs the practice so much...she just breezes through it. So we have been alternating days with MM and Singapore, but not lining up the topics at all. One week there are 3 days of Singapore and 2 days of MM and the next week we do 3 days MM and 2 days Singapore. We do Miquon every day now.

I think you just have to try it out whichever blend you are wanting to do and see what your kid can handle.

I am planning to do MEP, SM and Miquon as well. We have already started year one of MEP and on lesson 27. We are loving it so far. I love having the teacher manual on my iPad. We do one lesson a day and it maybe takes 20-30 minutes depending on how focused DS is on a particular day. I have all my SM books for 1a and 1b but we haven't started it yet. I still need to read through the teacher manual. My plan so far is to do one in the morning and the other after lunch time. Probably Miquon a few days a week during math game time.

We do MEP daily (since we have to school 175 days, and there are 175 lessons, it made sense), and one other math every day as well. Sometimes we will be on a run of Miquon for a week, other times a time of Singapore. It depends on the topic being covered in the "other" math, and how well my guys are absorbing it. One of my boys needs more time in Miquon to help him work through the concepts in Singapore (he is not a concept guy in math, he needs to work through things from many angles before he gets it). We have sometimes done two shorter math sessions per day if I sense the understanding/frustration level has been reached. I am combining two very different boys into one math class, and it can be a balancing act.

I would not try to line up topics to make it all flow; you will go crazy. Sometimes one math program will seem to be driving the bus, while the others are reviewing. Then they switch around. I have found this to be beneficial; extra practice and review without pages and pages of the same thing from the same book.

Two Miquon books per year is typical; but we did not finish both our books this year. We will pick up next year and keep on going. My big piece of advice in combining math is do not worry about finishing ____ book in ____ time; work on mastering the material, however long it takes, and don't compare with how fast other folks can seem to fly through math porgrams. Enjoy it and understand it. The kids will thank you later.

We combine Singapore, MM, and Miquon. We kind of change it up from time to time. We started out by doing MM to introduce the topic and Singapore for independent work. Miquon was used on Friday for fun lab math time.

Lately, she has been needing more work in one chunk. Not that she really needs the practice so much...she just breezes through it. So we have been alternating days with MM and Singapore, but not lining up the topics at all. One week there are 3 days of Singapore and 2 days of MM and the next week we do 3 days MM and 2 days Singapore. We do Miquon every day now.

I think you just have to try it out whichever blend you are wanting to do and see what your kid can handle.

I think I will first try what you have been doing lately-- 3 days of MM and 2 days of MEP and the next week: 2 days of MM and 3 days of MEP. Plus Miquon daily... We'll see how it goes and adjust as necessary.

I am planning to do MEP, SM and Miquon as well. We have already started year one of MEP and on lesson 27. We are loving it so far. I love having the teacher manual on my iPad. We do one lesson a day and it maybe takes 20-30 minutes depending on how focused DS is on a particular day. I have all my SM books for 1a and 1b but we haven't started it yet. I still need to read through the teacher manual. My plan so far is to do one in the morning and the other after lunch time. Probably Miquon a few days a week during math game time.

I like the idea of having the teacher manual on the iPad. Thanks for giving me a time reference. I'm glad it won't take the entire 45 minutes that is on the lesson plans.

I would not try to line up topics to make it all flow; you will go crazy. Sometimes one math program will seem to be driving the bus, while the others are reviewing. Then they switch around. I have found this to be beneficial; extra practice and review without pages and pages of the same thing from the same book.

Two Miquon books per year is typical; but we did not finish both our books this year. We will pick up next year and keep on going. My big piece of advice in combining math is do not worry about finishing ____ book in ____ time; work on mastering the material, however long it takes, and don't compare with how fast other folks can seem to fly through math porgrams. Enjoy it and understand it. The kids will thank you later.

That's great advice! I have to keep reminding myself that this is the benefit of homeschooling-- we don't need to finish in ___ time, because everything should be individualized.

Thanks for all the advice, guys!