Menu

Not sure if anyone has mentioned MSNucleus which is available for free online at: http://www.msnucleus.org/membership/k-6.html . It was created by California with a grant from NSF (National Science Foundation). It is a wonderful and complete program covering primary and secondary. You can buy most lab supplies for just 1 student.

Ruth in NZ

Not sure if anyone has mentioned MSNucleus which is available for free online at: http://www.msnucleus.org/membership/k-6.html . It was created by California with a grant from NSF (National Science Foundation). It is a wonderful and complete program covering primary and secondary. You can buy most lab supplies for just 1 student.

Ruth in NZ

Wow thanks for that! The rock rap song is hilarious and the girls will love it:)

Well thanks so much Sharon. Using Bookfinder.com and all your ISBN nos I have now placed my order for all the books used from Amazon and Abebooks for just under $50 inclusive of shipping! Just when I thought I had science figured our for Logic Stage along comes another curriculum I am drooling over. I look forward to checking this out.

Ruth in NZ

Thank you!! I had completely forgotten about that site. I used it years ago when ds was in 1st grade. It looks like they're still working on some of the secondary stuff, but I just might have found our physics curriculum for 8th grade.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this thread! We believe in evolution, but our homeschool group has a mandatory Creation class this Fall for the students and I really needed something else to do at home.

I will say, though, that Elemental Science is NOT secular, IMHO. We have the Earth Science & Astronomy and they take a religious stance, but skirt the issue and let you teach what you want. To me, that is not what I am looking for.

Hope you're as happy with it as I am! I feel less nervous today, having gone to a curriculum share last night and having had several people look covetously through my OU Science.

I just went through it yesterday to divide it up for our school year, and I am really liking the look of it. It covers serious topics but uses language that makes it accessible to a younger audience. My dds are excited to use it, saying that it looks hard and that hard is more fun than too easy.:D I appreciate your letting us in on your secret! ;)

I'm so glad it looks good to you! I can't remember if I'd mentioned in an earlier post, but one of the things dd liked so much about it was that, having been written for adults, it didn't have that patronizing adult-child tone so many curricular materials have. She liked not being talked down to.

Hi all:lol:

Just thought that I would put my two cents in for a secular science online program that my family loves:001_wub: Supercharged Science it has videos that you watch first then you do the experiments (mostly household items easy to find) THEN the kids are given reading that goes along with what they just learned. We signed up for the free newsletter for a couple of months then decided to get the full course. I am planning on using it with my oldest son's high school science class next year;) I hope this helps!

Michelle

I too am seriously considering Supercharged Science for my 3rd and 6th graders in the fall. We have been doing their science eCamp this summer with great success and we'll begin joining with another family to do science once per week.

• 4 weeks later...
Prentiss Hall Science Explorer Series. We are using Earth Science and saving Life Science and Physical Science for later years.

It is meaty, interesting, and contains labs and activities that will teach your ds how to think, analyze, observe, make conclusions, gather data, etc.

We love it.

OK Jean, I am really considering using this same science program for my dd who'll be in 6th grade. Trying to get my hands on the appropriate materials that will carry us through the year and will leave the guess work out. I'm guessing a student text, workbook, maybe a teacher's manual or even a lab notebook? I think I understand there to be quizzes/tests in the student text? And I guess the answers would be in the teacher's manual? What all did you use? And are you able to let your child work on this independently, for the most part? Thanks.

I thought I'd include a link to this site; it's called the "Middle School Physical Science Resource Center", and there's a page where it addresses homeschool-y questions >link. On that site, there is also a page with links to other sites for activities and more resources. I'm not sure if this will help at all, but I found some of the information useful and thought I'd pass it along. :)

OK Jean, I am really considering using this same science program for my dd who'll be in 6th grade. Trying to get my hands on the appropriate materials that will carry us through the year and will leave the guess work out. I'm guessing a student text, workbook, maybe a teacher's manual or even a lab notebook? I think I understand there to be quizzes/tests in the student text? And I guess the answers would be in the teacher's manual? What all did you use? And are you able to let your child work on this independently, for the most part? Thanks.

:bigear:

:bigear:

Me, too!

My ds is going into 8th grade and has completed Apologia's General Science and Physical Science, so some of these books seem a bit easy, by contrast. I am looking for a secular curriculum for his level, and I'm having a hard time.

So, I'm reading with great interest!

Pam

Please check out Singapore's Interactive Science A & B. They are roughly 7th-8th grade, but the two courses could be stretched over 3 years for 6th - 8th if your child does a lot of supplemental documentary watching and book reading as you said. They also have elementary science courses which are also good up to 6th grade, but I think the program really comes into its own at the programs I named above. They include lots of labs, which is usually very appealing to children, especially boys. The texts are substantial when it comes to content, but not so full of fluff that they take up too much time with busy work. The books themselves are inexpensive--your biggest expense will be the science supplies, but these can be bought slowly over time the years. Check it out here:

http://www.singaporemath.com/Interactive_Science_s/68.htm

Guest Fun2Learn

We have been doing Aurora Lipper's Supercharged Science E-Camp this summer and have learned so much and had so much fun. We have built rockets, learned a ton of astronomy and are now building robotics. We begin the chemistry and life science portion August 1 and can't wait. I had already planned out our curriculum for the upcoming year (a fusion of Elemental Science and RSO Earth and Space), but my son is begging for this to be our curriculum. I literally have to pull him away from it to go swimming! It is on sale now at the Homeschool Buyer's Coop. If enough people purchase it, it could be as much as 45% off. The deadline is this Sunday, July 31 at 11:59 pm. She offers a K-8 curriculum and a K-12. I am impressed with how easy it is to navigate around the website, but most importantly the fantastic, personalized customer service. The questions we have posted have been answered within hours. What a great find this program has been! I encourage others to check out www.SuperchargedScience.com/esci.htm