Menu

Suggestions for American History Curriculum

My son, turning 12 in the fall, has asked that we study American History next school year after I thought we were going to go with Middle Ages/Ren. So, I am willing to feed his interest, but need some suggestions please. We were going to use History Odyssey Level 2 Middle Ages so naturally I checked out their Early Modern and it covers more than just US History so I don't think he will care for that.

I would love to hear your likes and dislikes about what you have used.

Also, debating about whether to sell all this Middle Ages and related materials I bought now, or just hold on to it. :glare: I will figure that one out here soon...

Maybe you could look at Notgrass America the Beautiful (for grades 5-8). I really like the layout. Each day of the week, a different aspect of America is studied (Event, Landmark, Natural Wonder, Biography, Daily Life). They have a Timeline book and Map book to accompany. In addition, a separate primary source document book is included for reading. There is also a 10 book literature component. No hands-on ideas are included but those are a dime a dozen on the internet. Free samples on line.

The BJU 8 American Republic text happens to be especially good. There's a good workbook that goes with it. It has gotten discussed quite a bit on the L/M board. You could use it as a spine and add in lit for a very happy year.

Hakim (used in SL100) would work.

If you are the type who likes to make your own plan, you could start with these lectures (which I plan on using) http://college.cengage.com/history/lecturepoints/ and fill in with lit (lots of Marrin, Freedman, Bartoletti, etc. and the WTM 8th gr recs) and writing assignments from http://www.phschool.com/webcodes10/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.gotoWebCode&wcprefix=mtk&wcsuffix=1000

Your middle ages stuff will probably be just as good in a year, right? Then you could go back to it.