Menu

I did it, I bought Teaching Textbooks...

Dolphin

I have been panicking about next year. This year has not gone as well as I had hoped. We so far behind and I just don't have the time to stay on top of it. So, we are going to try TT next year. This should free up time both in teaching, and in grading. Just knowing it is ordered is making me feel a little more relaxed and for the first time I am really looking forward to next year. Isn't it silly how a curriculum change can make you feel good?

Nicole

We are about to begin our third year with TT and I must say I've never -- not even once -- regretted the decision. I also love that it frees me up to focus on the things that I love to teach and teach the best, and no more hassles with dd because I'm not the best math teacher in the world. :lol:

Blessings,

Lucinda

No, it's not silly. I've felt the same relief after making some MAJOR changes around here. TT was one of them, all though I'm slightly disappointed with how they are teaching a child to learn multiplication, BUT.. they only have something like 130 some odd lessons and quizzes in total so plenty of time to work in extra hands on math stuff. :D

Glad you feel peaceful about your choice, isn't it awesome!

Thank you all so much. Nance, your blog was what convinced my dh, so thank you.

Yes, and the thread on testing sealed the deal. My dd is mathy but she absolutely hated doing Saxon. It sucked all the joy out of our homeschool. Yes, it was solid and she could do it, but she was miserable and every day was a battle.

She started TT three weeks ago and the change in our homeschool is absolutely amazing. She loves doing her math and even starts without me reminding her to stay on schedule. Life is good again.... :)

Edited by cowgirl

Im excited about it too!

My kids are in PS this year, but are coming back home in the fall. I am not the best math teacher ever and would rather stick bamboo under my nails sometimes than teach it.

I had all of my kids do the samples on the site, and they LOVED it. They keep asking when they will start doing it. I am so glad they are so excited. Dh says I should order the higher level ones for myself and retake the math placement test at the college I attend to see if I can get placed higher so I don't have to take a bunch of math classes. (which I have been avoiding for the past year)

Yes, and the thread on testing sealed the deal. My dd is mathy but she absolutely hated doing Saxon. It sucked all the joy out of our homeschool. Yes, it was solid and she could do it, but she was miserable and every day was a battle.

She started TT three weeks ago and the change in our homeschool is absolutely amazing. She loves doing her math and even starts without me reminding her to stay on schedule. Life is good again.... :)

That's wonderful. So glad to hear it! :)

I am also going to make the TT leap! Anxiously awaiting our TT delivery. Ds 10 is going to do TT6. He is actually very good at math, but he is sort of intense and he gets all worked up over new stuff, particularly over me teaching him new things that seem foreign. The ever patient, math loving TT teacher seems like an excellent approach. It also will give ds the opportunity to be independent-ish for math, which will make him happy. I've purchased a computer-style interactive science program as well (Plato from Homeschool Buyer's Co-Op).

No, it's not silly. I've felt the same relief after making some MAJOR changes around here. TT was one of them, all though I'm slightly disappointed with how they are teaching a child to learn multiplication, BUT.. they only have something like 130 some odd lessons and quizzes in total so plenty of time to work in extra hands on math stuff. :D

Glad you feel peaceful about your choice, isn't it awesome!

My ds used TT6 this year and will be continuing with TT7 next year. We have been VERY pleased!

I am planning on purchasing TT3 (maybe 4) for my dd to use next year. My dd knows some multiplication already, but hasn't mastered it yet. So, I'm just wondering.... how do they teach multiplication?

Thanks~

Okay, DD is so excited about TT that she is trying to get all caught up to use TT5 and cooperating! What is more is she has decided to really plow through her other work so that she will be at 5th grade level for all subjects.

I also noticed that in some lessons she has an attitude saying "duh" etc. but the teacher doesn't get frustrated and stop teaching or start over or assume she isn't paying attention, and it is working! YAY!

I think that using TT is going to be my best choice this year. I will update you all after a couple of months.

They arrived today, I just got home and there was the box on the front step!. I am so excited, I just had to post here, and I am going to open and play. I will update on how it goes. Thank you to eveyone getting excited with me, and for those whose posts inspired me to give it a go.

Nicole

We are starting our third year of TT in the fall...as a homeschool graduate myself, I wish my mother could have used this with our family!

My dd used TT5 and 6, and will move on to Pre-Algebra this fall. And my ds will start his journey with TT5 in the fall.

TT is such a lifesaver for us as a larger family with lots of little ones running around! Math is actually getting done!

Congratulations on your purchase!

Carmen I know you've been doing MM3 and are now using TT5. Would you say you have the placement correct? We have finished MM3 (getting there on maths facts but it will take a little more time) and I was looking at TT5 too. Are you happy with that placement for your dd?

Stephanie

Carmen I know you've been doing MM3 and are now using TT5. Would you say you have the placement correct? We have finished MM3 (getting there on maths facts but it will take a little more time) and I was looking at TT5 too. Are you happy with that placement for your dd?

Stephanie

No. I should have gotten TT4 for her. She wasn't done with MM3 and wasn't doing it all in order though, so that doesn't help you a whole lot. TT has placement tests that could help.

Well, we are finishing our first week with Teaching textbooks, and so far I LOVE IT!!! Math has had a total turn around in this house. He is doing about an hour a day and willing to do more.

After our problems with SM (the program is great, I just found it really hard jumping into 3rd grade with it, and filling in all the holes from his previous school) We went for TT3 even though he tested into TT4. I just don't want to have the same stumbling blocks that we have gone through. Anyway, he is listening to 7 lectures and then taking the quizzes. He has done 4 quizzes so far. Today he told me that he learnt 2 new things; filling in holes. He is loving it. He is also doing 1 exercise a day in SM 2 extra practice workbook. At this rate he should breeze through TT3 this summer and be ready (with no holes or problems with language) by the fall. This has made such a difference to my out look on Math. Thank you all again for helping me come to the decision, You have saved my sanity (at least for now:lol:)

Nicole

Well, we are finishing our first week with Teaching textbooks, and so far I LOVE IT!!! Math has had a total turn around in this house. He is doing about an hour a day and willing to do more.

How exciting for you!! Indy really loves TT. He's almost finished with TT3 and I had to put it off to the end of the day because it motivates him to get through everything else quickly so he can do his math. Huzzah! He's excited to move on to TT4 next year.

James Bond lacks ONE class to get his Bachelor's (he has an AA) and it's Algebra I. He has taken class after class (not for credit) and does NOT get it. Math is so not his thing (and he barely had to take any in high school). I had him check out TT and he thought it was great because it spelled it out in a way he understood. He's going to work through Pre-Algebra and then move on to Algebra so he can take the course for credit and finally get his Bachelor's. Since he's in the army, this is a big deal for promotions. He's a W2 right now (we're hoping for W3 soon!), but to get W4, he has to have a BA. If TT can help him with that, I will be forever grateful.

Congrats on making a decision that makes you feel relaxed. I'm also a TT fan but I did run into issues once we got to pre-algebra as the interactive cd is no longer available. What do you all plan to do when your students get to higher math? I'm considering Kinetic Algebra 1-any thoughts?

Congrats on making a decision that makes you feel relaxed. I'm also a TT fan but I did run into issues once we got to pre-algebra as the interactive cd is no longer available. What do you all plan to do when your students get to higher math? I'm considering Kinetic Algebra 1-any thoughts?

TT is in the process of revamping the higher levels to make them interactive. Version 2 of Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1 will be available later this summer!:001_smile:

Well, we are finishing our first week with Teaching textbooks, and so far I LOVE IT!!! Math has had a total turn around in this house.

:hurray:

James Bond lacks ONE class to get his Bachelor's (he has an AA) and it's Algebra I. He has taken class after class (not for credit) and does NOT get it. Math is so not his thing (and he barely had to take any in high school). I had him check out TT and he thought it was great because it spelled it out in a way he understood. He's going to work through Pre-Algebra and then move on to Algebra so he can take the course for credit and finally get his Bachelor's. Since he's in the army, this is a big deal for promotions. He's a W2 right now (we're hoping for W3 soon!), but to get W4, he has to have a BA. If TT can help him with that, I will be forever grateful.

I think that's really cool! I bet it can help him! I'll tell you what, math was always my weakest subject and I'm half thinking of doing some of the TT discs myself as we start to get into the higher grades lol. Maybe if I do them, math concepts will actually stick in my head and stay there for once lol.

TT is in the process of revamping the higher levels to make them interactive. Version 2 of Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1 will be available later this summer!:001_smile:

Thank goodness!!! :)

How exciting for you!! Indy really loves TT. He's almost finished with TT3 and I had to put it off to the end of the day because it motivates him to get through everything else quickly so he can do his math. Huzzah! He's excited to move on to TT4 next year.

That is so cool! Please update us with how he does!