Menu

If you are a former teacher...

If you are a former public or private school teacher, do you feel this has been helpful to you as a homeschool parent or a hindrance?

I'm a former 7th grade teacher & often hear other former teachers say that there experience as a public/private school teacher has been a hindrance to them. I always think :confused::confused::confused: when I hear this because I found my experience to be very helpful!

So- curious to hear- if you found your teaching experience helpful or not & why so...

Not terribly so, but somewhat. My elementary experience was helpful in that I could read thru a teacher manual and know pretty much right away what to glean from it. I can write a true lesson plan, with measurable objectives and whatnot, but there's really no need. I can apply my knowledge of child development and know what should be met by a typical grade level, but I only have one or two kids to keep on track. I can look at an assessment and plan a lesson to remediate or extend, I know how to use Bloom's Tax to question, I know about Socratic discussion....

But those are skills that are, frankly, not that hard to figure out. I don't need lesson plans because of the internal sort of planning I do. It's more organic and natural. I don't need to assess with a test all the time because I see everything, have time to listen to discussion and narrations, etc. It's been a little useful--I know the jargon.

Homeschooling is a different animal, tho.

Being a former teacher has either been a hindrance or has had no effect at all. Where it has been a hindrance has been in feeling like we have to go lock-step through a book instead of really teaching to my children's needs. Where it has had no effect at all is with classroom management and lesson planning for a large classroom which really was a big chunk of my teacher's education. Those things just don't apply to my homeschool.

I think my experience and education as a teacher and librarian have been incredibly helpful in my homeschooling journey. I have an added confidence in the basics such as teaching and selecting curriculum that many of my homeschooling friends don't seem to have. I certainly don't think you have to have teaching experience, but for me I think it was been a a huge help.

I'll answer my own question. lol.

What I found helpful:

#1- I knew my own teaching style. This was huge to me. KONOS (while I'm sure it is a wonderful curriculum) would have been an absolute disaster for me! Ha! I researched heavily, knew pretty well what I wanted, what I didn't want, what would work for me or not, etc.

#2- I was very comfortable with the Teachers Manual (we use TOG) and have no issues at all with cutting here, adding there, tweaking this & that, etc. I never feel bound to what a TM says to do- I take the recommendations into consideration and then do what I want to do.

#3- I think the experience working with different learning styles was helpful. The knowledge of Bloom's taxonomy, etc. was helpful. Not anything I couldn't have researched & learned on my own eventually but it was good to already have this information as I was starting out.

ETA: #4- How could I forget confidence? I feel pretty confident in my abilities to teach (usually!) and am not super concerned with whether or not I'm doing a good job- I just know that I am ;) Really, once you've seen what goes on in the public schools, it's hard not to feel pretty confident that you can do a better job!

Anyone else?

Edited by FlyingMOm

The short answer is not really. We chose to homeschool because my oldest doesn't fit "the box". But all I know from 17 years of being a student in the public education system (including college) and then teaching in it for eight is how to do "the box". I was trained well in that regard. :001_huh: I have found time and again that my default is going back to that stinkin' box and I have to fight it so many times.

How I did feel that teaching PS was a help is that I know how to plan out a year. I am comfortable with TM's and lesson planning. In these first few years I coasted a bit since I had taught so much of the material (I taught first, second and third). Yet in my mind the negatives outweigh the positives on most days truth be told.

Of the homeschoolers I have helped out or worked with, the ones who were former public school teachers did struggle a lot, at least in pursuing classical education. They had a worksheet, get through it all, product-over-skill mindset.

The useful thing I have learned in education classes has been the theories of learning. I think more homeschool parents could benefit from an understanding of how children learn and proven methods of teaching.

As a former elementary school teacher, I have to say that the most helpful aspect is feeling so comfortable with our decision to homeschool b/c of what I experienced as a ps teacher. Homeschooling is like fishing: I know that even on a pretty bad day of homeschooling, it is still better than a good day at ps. Not to say that ps is my standard, it is definitely not--It just seems that many homeschool moms are in a state of "What if?" and constantly second-guessing themselves. That could also be my personality though--my husband and I will pray about something, make a decision, and then pretty much run with it until it's clear that we need to move in another direction.

The hindrance to me was when I learned about classical education. Everything about it is contrary to what I was taught while earning my teaching degree; thus, I had to get rid of all of my preconceptions so I could fully embrace classical education. Though in reality, it wasn't too hard to do since I had witnessed the overall poor results of today's modern educational system.

Definitely not a hindrance. I loved teaching in the public schools and I love teaching at home. The only problem I had was that I taught high school and I don't deal with little ones nearly as well.......they drive me nuts! ;)

Dawn

I have a masters in education and have taught in public and private schools both here in the states and abroad. It never occurred to me that it might be a hindrance! Huh.

I've found that it helps me have the confidence to do things like create my own curricula that some other homeschoolers just starting out seem more hesitant about. Also, my experience seeing lots of older kids (I mostly taught middle school) both ahead and behind with parents both crazy and sane, has really helped me have the long view of my kids and their educational journey. It has helped me clarify for myself what's really important with learning.

I guess there are a few "school" sorts of things that I needed to get clear would be very different when homeschooling, but mostly it was good experience to have under my belt. Not that it was necessary, just that I draw upon it often. Then again, my perspective may be a little skewed - my longest teaching job was at a very small school that, when I describe it to people (I worked with many kids for multiple years, very closely, in different subjects, in classes that were sometimes as small as 6 students) then they say, "Wow, that's as close to homeschooling as school can get!" It was very different from homeschooling, but it was also very different from most people's experience of teaching in schools.

I think my experience and education as a teacher and librarian have been incredibly helpful in my homeschooling journey. I have an added confidence in the basics such as teaching and selecting curriculum that many of my homeschooling friends don't seem to have. I certainly don't think you have to have teaching experience, but for me I think it was been a a huge help.

True.

I was going to say "no help, no hindrance" until I saw this post. I agree: I have a confidence that I might not otherwise have had (right from day one). I didn't realize that it probably came from my teaching experience. Duh!

But because I was a teacher I also had a head start on my curriculum addiction. :tongue_smilie:

I'd say it's a toss-up. On the one hand, I was trained in whole-language, unit studies, and project-based learning. This caused me to hold back on Spelling and formal Phonics study with my oldest, and we're still making up for that now.

On the other hand, I already know the terminology and politics, so I have a relatively easy time navigating the system. My teaching background qualifies me for some decent part-time work, and working with both accelerated and remedial learners gives me a sense of where my kids are in relation to their peers. Some (not all) of my teaching skills and curricular knowledge carry over. And I already had a ton of children's books :D.

I'll answer my own question. lol.

What I found helpful:

#1- I knew my own teaching style. This was huge to me. KONOS (while I'm sure it is a wonderful curriculum) would have been an absolute disaster for me! Ha! I researched heavily, knew pretty well what I wanted, what I didn't want, what would work for me or not, etc.

#2- I was very comfortable with the Teachers Manual (we use TOG) and have no issues at all with cutting here, adding there, tweaking this & that, etc. I never feel bound to what a TM says to do- I take the recommendations into consideration and then do what I want to do.

#3- I think the experience working with different learning styles was helpful. The knowledge of Bloom's taxonomy, etc. was helpful. Not anything I couldn't have researched & learned on my own eventually but it was good to already have this information as I was starting out.

ETA: #4- How could I forget confidence? I feel pretty confident in my abilities to teach (usually!) and am not super concerned with whether or not I'm doing a good job- I just know that I am ;) Really, once you've seen what goes on in the public schools, it's hard not to feel pretty confident that you can do a better job!

Anyone else?

Hmmm....is my post going to be rude? I'll write it anyway and hope not.

I'm not a teacher and right from the get-go I could have written #1, 2, and 4, exactly as you've written them.

Now...I must admit, the Blooms Taxonomy thing could come in handy! There have been a few times where I've wondered if I'm pushing them too hard and need to back off for a couple of months (usually with a new math concept.)

I'm not a teacher and right from the get-go I could have written #1, 2, and 4, exactly as you've written them.

Now...I must admit, the Blooms Taxonomy thing could come in handy! There have been a few times where I've wondered if I'm pushing them too hard and need to back off for a couple of months (usually with a new math concept.)

This might be true for you, but most newer homeschoolers I know really struggle with these things. They struggle to find their groove in teaching, do not always have a good sense what will work with their style & feel really bound by TM's. Stepping away from the TM seems to be something especially difficult for many Moms I know but maybe that is just the people I know around here & not true for the general new-to-homeschooling population.

I guess it gave me a natural confidence so that I didn't second guess homeschooling. I just *knew* I could do it.

However I don't feel like I really learned how to teach in PS because I was more involved with crowd/damage control. I am learning more about actually teaching while homeschooling and it has been refreshing to say the least.

Not relevant at all.

I'd say it's likely that my natural inclinations and skill set (good at organizing, like books, like teaching, patient, energetic) make me good at both jobs; but teaching in school did not prepare me for homeschooling -- nor does it hinder me in any way.

I am a former teacher, and I think that my education and experience has been of great help to me in homeschooling. I was already accustomed to writing yearly learning plans and weekly lesson plans, and that has enabled me to make sure that we are on track and I'm not constantly worried that we're "behind". Scheduling and planning--and sticking to the schedule--seems to be the biggest thing that plagues the homeschoolers I know. Another huge thing is the confidence factor. I have never doubted that I could teach my children effectively. That seems to be a huge advantage, because so many homeschooling moms I know are plagued with self-doubt, constantly worried that they're not doing a good enough job with their teaching. And finally, if my kids have trouble understanding a concept, I am adept at presenting it to them another way. I taught many children of varying ability levels and learning styles, and I have no difficulty in coming up with ideas that work to help a child grasp a difficult concept.

Edited by ereks mom

Of the homeschoolers I have helped out or worked with, the ones who were former public school teachers did struggle a lot, at least in pursuing classical education. They had a worksheet, get through it all, product-over-skill mindset.

The useful thing I have learned in education classes has been the theories of learning. I think more homeschool parents could benefit from an understanding of how children learn and proven methods of teaching.

Is there anything out there that people can use to learn this? Like these books or others you might recommend?

How Your Child Learns Best or Research-Based Strategies to Ignite Student Learning

I wonder if reading those books (or something similar) would end a lot of HS parent's frustration with curriculum decisions...

My teaching experience and degrees have been a huge help especially in the area of choosing curriculum. In my former life, I wrote curriculum and I still help edit some curriculum that is on the market. I know how to ferret out some of the 'fluff' and really see the meat of what is presented.

My experience has also been a hindrance to a point. All my years of teaching (20+) were spent in the field of special education, i.e., students with learning disabilities, behavioral disorders, very low functioning IQ, etc. When we adopted DS, God must have been having a good laugh :smilielol5: because He blessed us with a child that is profoundly gifted :w00t:. My entire frame of reference has had to be re-worked!

A plus for certain!

After spending years in both public and private schools, teaching K - advanced 8th grade literature, I have learned a lot. I had a lot of resources when I entered this homeschool world, and I had a lot of experience. I had no worries if I could teach my kid how to read; I had already taught hundreds how to read. I had confidence. I also have always loved children's and juvenile literature, so I already owned a ton of books for children. I had years and years experience knowing that learning to borrow (for instance) takes a lot of time and practice. I am more patient as a teacher than I am as a mom.

Does it make me a better homeschool MOM - not really, but most likely a better homeschool teacher.

For me it's been mainly irrelevant, but I teach college writing.

I do think, in the area of confidence, it's been helpful. I've never struggled with wondering if I was qualified to educate my children at home. (Now, whether I'm actually good at it is absolutely something I worry about, but not at the basic level of wondering if I have adequate educational preparation.)

I am a former English teacher. My teaching experience in a public school has made me VERY committed to homeschooling. That has been helpful.

I think that my degree has been helpful with teaching writing and with choosing language arts curriculum. I am probably more confident in these areas than many other homeschool moms in my circle.

Helpful, mostly, because I understand kids and how they learn, and I know how to structure a curriculum (I do my own, individualized for each student). I also have a big picture sense, having taught at all levels from 6-12 and freshmen in college. Not saying that a non-teacher couldn't do those things, but having had to study exactly how people learn and the process by which curriculum is constructed helped me.

The first part of the year, though, I had to take a moment to de-institutionalize myself (and all of my students, who are themselves fleeing public school). I think we are all much more comfortable with more spontaneous learning, even though we still maintain a structure. Even entering the accreditation process, I expect next year to be even better, and just get better as we move forward.

(my situation is a little different, though. I school my own child but also started a cottage school out of my house and have other people's kids, too.)

:iagree: I also thought Bloom's Taxonomy was just common sense when I first came across it. :leaving:

This might be true for you, but most newer homeschoolers I know really struggle with these things. They struggle to find their groove in teaching, do not always have a good sense what will work with their style & feel really bound by TM's. Stepping away from the TM seems to be something especially difficult for many Moms I know but maybe that is just the people I know around here & not true for the general new-to-homeschooling population.

I wonder if this has to do with a couple of things:

being college educated oneself

experience with children in general

Any lack of confidence I have comes from the second. I feel that someone who has taught many years of K-6, across the spectrum not just 5 years of second grade, has a big leg up on me in terms of what is typical and of different approaches to take. But OTOH I'm not scared of diverging from the teacher's manual, because I feel confident in basic knowledge, and because for me, in school, there was much dumbing down and busy work. I am so thankful my children don't have to experience that.

You know what I just realized? I was a corporate trainer for 3 years. I provided on-the-job training at a health insurance company. I left the company 9 years ago when my son was born. Soooo...I guess I do have teaching experience but didn't think it counted because I was training adults on how to set up their email accounts or understand health insurance state laws vs. teaching children how to read or do math.

Upon reflection, to answer your question, being a "teacher" has helped me immeasurably. I didn't have to find curric for my job, but I had to write it, so I feel that I can pretty much spot how to read what part of a curric is fluff vs solid. And I know how to change it around until it meets my teaching needs. I learned how to explain the same concept to people in a lot of different ways until they understood.

I am completely confident that I can teach, because I taught many, many adults and got lots of feedback from them on whether or not my teaching was good. They had to fill out forms anonymously rating my class (I asked for this--my boss didn't request it. I just wanted to know.)

I kind of wondered why I feel so confident that I can teach the kids, even though I wasn't a school teacher. It's so strange that I never connect the job as a trainer to being a homeschool teacher before today! Duh!