Menu

Veritas Press: possible for ecumenical use?

... I've just started Sonlight's Core A for my 5.5-year-old, and am getting a feel for where I want his education to go; I'm pretty sure that I'll want to switch from Sonlight somewhere down the road, between 2nd and 6th grades probably. The threads I've seen have me leaning toward Veritas Press but I'm not clear if it can be taught well ecumenically. If not, I'm leaning toward Tapestry of Grace but to be honest I'm not sure I'll enjoy the intensive planning involved, and am concerned by several posts (here and elsewhere) from moms whose children have found the readings too dry to maintain enthusiasm. Any ideas? :bigear:

thanks in advance!

I will start by noting that I am a Christian so non-Christian was not a consideration for us. But thinking about this in a more neutral fashion, I could see that you might be able to use many of the elementary items as a non-Christian. We ordered the history cards and several sets of history cds. While there is a Christian worldview, I would think it is MUCH less than other curriculums. The history info is history, art is art, etc. I don't know that I am offering much help :) Also, you could just take out the cards (5-8 maybe) in the history cards that were Bible related. You would simply add you own ideas/religion in in place of the Bible section, if you bought an entire age level during the younger years.

High School level would be harder as the science and Omnibus ARE Biblical in nature. That is a hard one! :) I would say that younger years you could easily teach it, though.

Thank you for that perspective, Heather. I do like the rigor so maybe elementary would be a good option; though I'm hoping to find something I could theoretically stick with (sweet DS has a way of derailing the best of plans!) through HS. Tapestry of Grace and Kolbe may have good options for us.

The character and ethics thread that runs through the religious programs is very attractive to me, so I keep ending up with them even though we aren't Christian (well, maybe by Paul Tillich's definition of "ultimate concern" but not by any usual standard).

We are progressive Christians who love VP, but our views are not the same as their views. Omnibus is going to be tough for us because they are pretty forceful about their theology. It will be an opportunity for us to really discuss differing view points and an opportunity for our son to learn to give them the answer they want even if it is not his personal belief. I would think that Omnibus would be REALLY tough for a non-Christian to teach/learn. That's too bad, too, because I have not found anything quite as good for the older ages that is secular.

Thank you for that perspective, Heather. I do like the rigor so maybe elementary would be a good option; though I'm hoping to find something I could theoretically stick with (sweet DS has a way of derailing the best of plans!) through HS. Tapestry of Grace and Kolbe may have good options for us.

The character and ethics thread that runs through the religious programs is very attractive to me, so I keep ending up with them even though we aren't Christian (well, maybe by Paul Tillich's definition of "ultimate concern" but not by any usual standard).

Kolbe would be very easy to use as a non Christian. You can disregard their explanations in the teacher's guides. A lot of their curricula is secular, but they just explain the Catholic view in their guides. They are very easy to work with and you don't have to do any of the curricula that you don't want to (ie religion) or purchase any of the books from them that you won't use (ie saint stories). I would call them and talk to them. They are very easy to work with and offer a wonderful education!