Menu

Focus on the Family Narnia CDs-did it bother you that they were abridged?

They are really well done. We read The Magician's Nephew aloud, and then listened to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I really enjoyed the break from reading, and loved the dramatization. If I had just read the book, I would probably have noticed things that were left out, but it's been a while and I was satisfied by listening.

Well, it hasn't ever bothered us, but we like radio theater. It's not a *reading* of the books, even abridged. It's a dramatization. (Very well done, might I add, though Aslan's voice is a little goofy:D) Our boys have all read the series as well, so they've enjoyed hearing it dramatized. They've been very popular in our house for years.

Yes, I was referring to the Focus on the Family Radio Theater version.

I know it is supposed to be *wonderful* but I'm wondering if going with unabridged would be better. (My dc are 8 and 11-the older is an avid reader and I would guess she might want to read the series after, but I doubt my younger will read it-maybe not ever-since he's not a big reader :().

Yes, I was referring to the Focus on the Family Radio Theater version.

I know it is supposed to be *wonderful* but I'm wondering if going with unabridged would be better. (My dc are 8 and 11-the older is an avid reader and I would guess she might want to read the series after, but I doubt my younger will read it-maybe not ever-since he's not a big reader :().

Look, don't think "abridged" or "unabridged."

Think "read the book" or "watch the movie."

Watch the movie

The FOTF CD's are NOT abridged books. They are radio THEATER. They dramatize the books. And they are wonderful, if you like radio shows. As I said, we love the FOTF CDs, but my boys have also read and re-read the books for themselves.

They follow the storyline, and do use lots of lines from the books, but they are NOT abridged versions any more than movies are abridged versions of books.

Read the book

BUT, if you want your children to hear Lewis' words, but don't want to read it to them yourself (I'm assuming your dc are too young to read the books independently), then, by all means, get the audiobooks. The BBC version is wonderfully done! We don't own a set (though I see they've lowered the price and we'll probably get one now!), but we've gotten them from the library often and have enjoyed them. They're very well done!

But it's not a decision between abridged/unabridged. That would be like comparing apples and oranges. It's just two different ways to experience Narnia.

Edited by Hillary in KS

Yes, Starr, what is the unabridged that you liked so well, so I can check that for comparison purposes? Thanks!

(Or anyone else who wants to chime in with an unabridged version that they loved. Thank you!)

Here is the complete unabridged set:

http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Narnia-Complete-Box-Unabridged/dp/0694524751

Each book has a different reader, but all are great. :)

(BTW, while we liked the FotF Narnia dramatizations well enough, I was *severely* disappointed with some of their others. The Secret Garden especially butchered the story...)

absolutely best money ever spent. They are really cheap to get now. We've literally worn out one set, and got another, and my kids are 14,17, and almost 20. My husband still likes to take them on long trips :o). Get them. They are so much like the books, don't leave anything out (like the movies do....glare!!), and are fabulous. I wouldn't say they won't miss *everything*, but they'll get 99%. If you can listen to samples of both an unabridged audio, and the radio theater and compare, that would be great. Maybe I'll bop around the internet later today and see if there is anywhere audio samples can be found.

I didn't realize the Focus on the Family dramatization was abridged.

We have the Harper Collins audio versions of the books, we love them. A must for long trips, especially. Each book is dramatically read by a well-known actor (different actor for each book). Most of them I found in the "bargain books" section of either Borders or Books a Million. Itunes has them also.

My children, now teens, think the unabridged audio cds of the Narnia stories are the best money we ever spent. Unless your dc are quite young I would go for unabridged, they are so rich in content.

I lucked into a complete set of the unabridged ones on CD on a closeout shelf a few years ago. My son and I loved listening to them together, although he'd already read them (as had I, more than once) before we listened.

These books aren't especially challenging to read. I would think the unabridged versions would be much more interesting than the "dramatized" ones.

Yes, Starr, what is the unabridged that you liked so well, so I can check that for comparison purposes? Thanks!

(Or anyone else who wants to chime in with an unabridged version that they loved. Thank you!)

The ones we liked were released in 2005. Each one is read by a different well-known British actor (Michael York does the first one, I think. I remember Patrick Stewart reach another.)

iTunes has them for $16.95 each. Amazon has the complete set on sale for $47: http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Narnia-Complete-Box-Unabridged/dp/0694524751/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305486881&sr=8-2

My dc grew up listening to these cds (purchased one at a time as they were released) and are in college now. They sometimes still listen to the FOF Narnia dramatizations. They are excellent quality and appeal to all ages. They are not a book on cd, but a dramatization. Each has its place, so it does not bother me that the dramatizations are abridged. They have to be abridged and adapted to be a dramatization. My dc have read the series of books several times each, but the dramatizations are still well worth having.

My daughter listens to the Harper Collins version every. day. twice. a. day. Seriously. And she's been doing it for almost three years; she's almost six now. They are the BEST thing we have bought for her. One day, I went into her room and found a piece of paper with "PATRIC STOOART" written on it. Puzzled, it took me a minute to realize she meant Patrick Stewart, who narrates one of them - she could tell you which one, but I can't remember :tongue_smilie: - and I asked her about it. She said, "I just didn't want to forget." Fat chance of that!

YES & no. :lol:

It was fun to listen to them as if they were a radio show, but it bugged me they were abridged. All the BBC production books like that make me feel the same way. I love the feeling of being in a live play, but an abridged book drives me insane.

Look, don't think "abridged" or "unabridged."

Think "read the book" or "watch the movie."

Watch the movie

The FOTF CD's are NOT abridged books. They are radio THEATER. They dramatize the books. And they are wonderful, if you like radio shows. As I said, we love the FOTF CDs, but my boys have also read and re-read the books for themselves.

They follow the storyline, and do use lots of lines from the books, but they are NOT abridged versions any more than movies are abridged versions of books.

Read the book

BUT, if you want your children to hear Lewis' words, but don't want to read it to them yourself (I'm assuming your dc are too young to read the books independently), then, by all means, get the audiobooks. The BBC version is wonderfully done! We don't own a set (though I see they've lowered the price and we'll probably get one now!), but we've gotten them from the library often and have enjoyed them. They're very well done!

But it's not a decision between abridged/unabridged. That would be like comparing apples and oranges. It's just two different ways to experience Narnia.

:iagree: I think the OP is confusing abridged and dramatic story telling. Not the same thing at all.

I have so enjoyed reading all these responses-THANK YOU!

I have decided to first listen to the Harper Collins unabridged, and THEN at some point after that (whenever they want), we will listen to the FOF dramatized.

It was really helpful to understand the difference between unabridged and dramatized. I think the dramatized will be lots of fun, but I want them to have the language of the original unabridged first.

Thanks again!

Well, it hasn't ever bothered us, but we like radio theater. It's not a *reading* of the books, even abridged. It's a dramatization. (Very well done, might I add, though Aslan's voice is a little goofy:D) Our boys have all read the series as well, so they've enjoyed hearing it dramatized. They've been very popular in our house for years.

Agree about Aslan's voice, but we love them. We have read them all aloud, but they are FANTASTIC for long car rides.

I KNOW I'll never read aloud the whole series to them, so I'm thinking of getting the Focus on the Family CDs instead.

Would they be missing too much doing it that way?

All dramatized works are abridged. I have abridged and unabridged. Radio theatre is an incredible experience.