Menu

If you are Christian, did you find any benefit in reading Beowulf?

Trying to set up lit for dd11 for Middle Ages next yr, and wondering if there is Christian value in Beowulf.

I am worried about the imagery but would do it if there is significant Christian redeeming value. (Obviously I am not familiar with the story.)

Also would love to know of any Christian lit guide you used to help you.

(xpost K-8)

Thanks-this is the version recommended by Biblioplan, which we are using.

Based on the discussion on K-8, I've decided to just read what MOH says about Beowulf so she at least knows what it is, but leave reading it until high school.

I think I'll do Song of Roland and some others instead, since basically I'm just looking for a way to bump her up in literature.

Yes, absolutely!!!

I just studied it in a university fantasy lit class. We talked about the manuscript of the book and, because of all the "Christian" references in Beowulf (all Old Testament, which is curious), does it actually show the advent of Christianity into Britian or was the manuscript later altered by monks copying these references into the original script? No one knows.

Beowulf, the character, fascinated me. The society he lived in was all based on blood-feud ..... if someone offended you, you would simply attempt to massacre him and all his family, which, of course, he would then try to do to you and your family. Beowulf acted completely contrary to the society in which he lived. For example, he:

* shows respect to Hrothgar even though Hrothgar shows a reluctance to fight

* does not rise to Unferth's taunts and is courteous to him in spite of them

* in Hrothgar's weak position, he could easily have tried to usurp Hrothgar's power but does not

* when Unferth gives Beowulf his sword to use against Grendel's mother (Unferth now shows respect towards Beowulf) and it is of no use to him, when Beowulf returns from the lair, he does not tell Unferth but merely thanks him, with courtesy, for its use

* he refuses to take kingship in his own country over the king who is already in place (Heardred) even though the people request his leadership, but waits until Heardred's death to assume the position

* he is a courteous man, etc.....

Beowulf is trying to shed the old ways and bring about change, which could be mirrored as the shedding of paganism and the advent of Christianity.

In contrasting Christianity and Paganism, you could talk about (from my notes):

1. The pagan fate is impersonal and fearful; God controls everything and brings about his perfect plan

2. The Danes had turned to pagan help (counsellors) instead of God to help them conquer Grendel (lines 170-180)

3. Re: blood-feuds ...... the need for revenge, that becomes cyclical, leaves no room for God to bring about justice. True justice cannot happen because the men do not act with justice or honour.

4. While the end of the poem seems tragic (all Beowulf's victories do not cure the root problem of his culture), could it possibly be a new beginning, as we see change throughout the poem? Could it be the end of the Geats but the start of a new civilization, ie. the end of paganism and the start of Christianity?

We also talked about the qualities in the pagans that one could admire, such as loyalty, bravery, courage, perseverance, yet they felt that there was no hope (wyrd=fate)

We read the Seamus Heaney version and it was very enjoyable. The format is also good for annotation.

It was interesting to contrast Beowulf with Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. By the time of Sir Gawain, Christianity has come to Britian, as evidenced in King Arthur's court. The focus has now changed from the outward actions of Beowulf's pagan society (blood-feud, killing, power, etc.) to control over the inner-self, ie. the code of chivalry; the importance of the five virtues: generousity, courtesy, chastity, chivalry, piety; self-control; honor, etc. ........... I loved Beowulf and enjoyed Sir Gawain even more.

I hope my ramblings give you some food for thought! :001_smile:

Trying to set up lit for dd11 for Middle Ages next yr, and wondering if there is Christian value in Beowulf.

I am worried about the imagery but would do it if there is significant Christian redeeming value. (Obviously I am not familiar with the story.)

Also would love to know of any Christian lit guide you used to help you.

(xpost K-8)

I am not sure what you mean by value, but we loved Beowulf. We read it on a cold winter night, aloud, in the dark, by flashlight. It was so spooky..fun..even my youngest who was 4 at the time loved it. As far as ,it guides, my high schooler used Lightning Lit for that one...and I don't remember anything earthshaking about the guide. We did absolutely love the story though...

Faithe

Yes, absolutely!!!

I just studied it in a university fantasy lit class. We talked about the manuscript of the book and, because of all the "Christian" references in Beowulf (all Old Testament, which is curious), does it actually show the advent of Christianity into Britian or was the manuscript later altered by monks copying these references into the original script? No one knows.

Beowulf, the character, fascinated me. The society he lived in was all based on blood-feud ..... if someone offended you, you would simply attempt to massacre him and all his family, which, of course, he would then try to do to you and your family. Beowulf acted completely contrary to the society in which he lived. For example, he:

* shows respect to Hrothgar even though Hrothgar shows a reluctance to fight

* does not rise to Unferth's taunts and is courteous to him in spite of them

* in Hrothgar's weak position, he could easily have tried to usurp Hrothgar's power but does not

* when Unferth gives Beowulf his sword to use against Grendel's mother (Unferth now shows respect towards Beowulf) and it is of no use to him, when Beowulf returns from the lair, he does not tell Unferth but merely thanks him, with courtesy, for its use

* he refuses to take kingship in his own country over the king who is already in place (Heardred) even though the people request his leadership, but waits until Heardred's death to assume the position

* he is a courteous man, etc.....

Beowulf is trying to shed the old ways and bring about change, which could be mirrored as the shedding of paganism and the advent of Christianity.

In contrasting Christianity and Paganism, you could talk about (from my notes):

1. The pagan fate is impersonal and fearful; God controls everything and brings about his perfect plan

2. The Danes had turned to pagan help (counsellors) instead of God to help them conquer Grendel (lines 170-180)

3. Re: blood-feuds ...... the need for revenge, that becomes cyclical, leaves no room for God to bring about justice. True justice cannot happen because the men do not act with justice or honour.

4. While the end of the poem seems tragic (all Beowulf's victories do not cure the root problem of his culture), could it possibly be a new beginning, as we see change throughout the poem? Could it be the end of the Geats but the start of a new civilization, ie. the end of paganism and the start of Christianity?

We also talked about the qualities in the pagans that one could admire, such as loyalty, bravery, courage, perseverance, yet they felt that there was no hope (wyrd=fate)

We read the Seamus Heaney version and it was very enjoyable. The format is also good for annotation.

It was interesting to contrast Beowulf with Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. By the time of Sir Gawain, Christianity has come to Britian, as evidenced in King Arthur's court. The focus has now changed from the outward actions of Beowulf's pagan society (blood-feud, killing, power, etc.) to control over the inner-self, ie. the code of chivalry; the importance of the five virtues: generousity, courtesy, chastity, chivalry, piety; self-control; honor, etc. ........... I loved Beowulf and enjoyed Sir Gawain even more.

I hope my ramblings give you some food for thought! :001_smile:

Thanks for posting this. I plan to print it and put it inside my copy ofBeowulf for the next time we read it. Great insight.

Faithe

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I don't have anything to add but wanted to say that our puppy is named Beowulf:001_smile:

This was taken when he could fit inside the cat house; now he's 3 months and 33 pounds. We also have a cat named Ivanhoe. Yeah, we're homeschoolers;):lol:

Cat-House-3.jpg

Cleo-replied on K-8, thank you! :)

Thanks for the heads up, HappyGrace! :001_smile: Like Aquinas Academy, the responses the the K-8 board were starting to worry me. To be honest, if I hadn't taken the lit. class, I might have passed Beowulf off as brutal or strange but once I started to read it, I was hooked. It also helps to read the original. The re-tellings are a good resource to cement the storyline with younger children, but you really miss all the "meat" the book has to offer, and it can be difficult to make a sound judgement of the work based on them.

Thanks for posting this. I plan to print it and put it inside my copy ofBeowulf for the next time we read it. Great insight.

Faithe

You are so very welcome! Usually it is I who am printing your posts! :D

I don't have anything to add but wanted to say that our puppy is named Beowulf:001_smile:

This was taken when he could fit inside the cat house; now he's 3 months and 33 pounds. We also have a cat named Ivanhoe. Yeah, we're homeschoolers;):lol:

Cat-House-3.jpg

This is my favourite post of the day! :thumbup: