Menu

Need book suggestions for ds (who likes Mark Twain, Terry Pratchett, J.K. Rowling,..)

Ds enjoys fiction, esp. books w/ a sense of humor. As a guideline, he likes the humorous style of Mark Twain & Terry Pratchett. He also loves the Harry Potter series (though he doesn't read it as frequently now as he used to).

Anyway, I'd love to get some suggestions of other books he might love. They can be stand-alone or series. Generally, he doesn't like scary/creepy books or books that feature lots of animals.

Thanks!

Myth inc series by Robert Asprin

The Dragon and the George by Dickson kind of for an older middle school or high schooler. Unfortunately the first book was renamed. I'm afraid I'm not being very helpful here.

I thought the grimm sisters series was cute.

Percy Jackson was fun and his Kane series The Red pyramid and it's sequel are similar though if your a sticler about mythology be warned: Riordon plays with the role and character of the gods loosley.

My now 13 y/o enjoyed Peter and the star catcher by Dave Barry but is no longer interested in the sequels.

Avi wrote a series about a young man named Crispin. They are well written.

Here are lighter, more humorous works; many are fantasy settings, but not all. The Rescuer series by Sharpe does have talking animals as the protagonists, but these books are well-written and loaded with humor and are worth a try. And sometimes, reading a little below ability is fun and enjoyable too! ;) (I made note if they were just good reads, not humorous.) You don't list an age for your DS, so some of these may be young for him. Hope you find something of interest here! Warmest regards, Lori D.

gr. 4-6

- Ben and I; Mr. Revere and Me (Lawson)

- Hank the Cowdog series (Erickson)

- The Whipping Boy (Fleischman) -- VERY funny

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman) -- VERY funny

- Holes (Sachar) -- a sort-of modern tall tale with lots of humor

- The Rescuers, Miss Bianca, Miss Bianca in the Orient, The Turret (Sharpe) -- fun and funny

gr. 5-8

- Percy Jackson and the Olympians series (Riordan) -- LOTS of humor; VERY similar in style and battling to Harry Potter -- we actually liked these better than Harry Potter

- Ranger's Apprentice serise (Flanagan) -- mostly boy adventure; these all start to sound the same after about book 4

- The Pushcart War (Merrill) -- tongue in cheek

- The Secret of Platform 13 (Ibbotson) -- similar to Harry Potter

- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Fleming)

- Half Magic; Magic by the Lake, Knight's Castle; Time Garden; Seven Day Magic (Eager) -- lots of humor

- The Father Christmas Letters (Tolkien) -- very sweet and lots of humor

- The Never Ending Story (Ende) -- very creative, serious, fantasy world

- The Phantom Tollbooth (Juster) -- lots of puns

- The Ordinary Princess (Kaye) -- sweet and funny

- The Great Wheel (Lawson) -- fascintating, and with lots of humor

gr. 6-9

- Five Children and It; The Phoenix and the Carpet; The Book of Dragons (Nesbit) -- lots of humor

- The Rumplestiltskin Problem (Velde) -- VERY funny

- The Great Brain series (Fitzgerald)

- A Long Way From Chicago; A Year Down Yonder (Peck)

gr. 6+

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland; Through the Looking Glass (Carroll)

- The Hobbit (Tolkien)

- Just So Stories (Kipling)

- The Twenty One Balloons (Dubois)

- The Reluctant Dragon (Grahame)

- Bromeliad Trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, Wings (Pratchett)

- The Squire's Tale (Morris) -- and others by the author

gr. 8+

- Farmer Giles of Ham (Tolkien)

- Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Twain)

- The Club of Queer Trades; Thirteen Detectives; Father Brown mysteries (Chesterton)

- Cheaper By the Dozen (Gilbraith)

- Three Men and a Boat (Jerome)

- Life With Jeeves; Wodehouse on Crime (Wodehouse)

- My Family and Other Animals (Durrell)

- Mrs. Pollifax series (Gilman) -- a retired grandmother becomes a CIA spy; action adventure with some humor

- Screwtape Letters (Lewis)

- The Importance of Being Earnest (Wilde) -- humorous play

- Earthsea trilogy: Wizard of Earthsea; Tombs of Atuan; Farthest Shore (LeGuin) -- wonderfully well-written, serious fantasy

- short stories -- google search for the free online text of many of these: "The Open Window" (Saki); "The Most Dangerous Game" (Connell); "Bride Comes to Yellow Sky" (Crane); "Gift of the Magi" (Henry); "Ransom of Red Chief" (Henry); "The Remarkable Rocket" (Wilde) -- funny yet tragic; "The Catbird Seat" (Thurber); "Story Without An End" (Twain)

Edited by Lori D.

My ds liked the Percy Jackson series as well as The Red Pyramid, both by Rick Riordan.

Is he ready for something like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Ds got the anthology as a 13th birthday present from an older cousin. It wasn't something was a page turner for him, and it took him a while to get through it, but he really liked it.

David Eddings Belgariad is an all time favorite.

I just read and loved the Fablehaven series.

39 Clues were fun.

Mad for Michael Scott's Secrets of the Immortal Nicolas Flamel series.

Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Favorite quote from that one, because I can't resist..

"Black bears rarely attack. But here's the thing. Sometimes they do. All bears are agile, cunning and immensely strong, and they are always hungry. If they want to kill you and eat you, they can, and pretty much whenever they want. That doesn't happen often, but - and here is the absolutely salient point - once would be enough." :lol:

The Ranger's Apprentice series is good as well.

Thanks, everyone, for the fabulous suggestions. Please keep posting if you think of others too. I don't know why I forgot to mention that he adores all of Riordan's books. Those have been favorites around here....

(Ds is 10, but generally reads books on a 6th-8th+ grade level, so that's why I asked here for ideas.)

"Black bears rarely attack. But here's the thing. Sometimes they do. All bears are agile, cunning and immensely strong, and they are always hungry. If they want to kill you and eat you, they can, and pretty much whenever they want. That doesn't happen often, but - and here is the absolutely salient point - once would be enough." :lol:

:lol:

Dh is actually reading that book now & I plan to read it after he's finished w/ it. Hadn't thought of it for ds, but that's a good idea.

The Alcatraz Series by Brandon Sanderson
These are funny. :)

Philip Reeve -- Hungry City Chronicles (aka Mortal Engines Quartet); these are out of print in North America but are worth seeking out.

Philip Reeve -- Larklight series

Michael Chabon -- Summerland

Salman Rushdie -- Haroun and the Sea of Stories and Luka and the Fire of Life

M.T. Anderson's Thrilling Tales

Farley Mowat -- The Boat Who Wouldn't Float, The Dog Who Wouldn't Be (the former has some mild adult content, mostly a bit of language; the dog's death is recounted on the last page of the latter... DD won't read the last page).

Jerome K. Jerone -- Three Men in a Boat

Diana Wynne Jones -- Howl's Moving Castle

Norton Juster -- Alberic the Wise and Other Journeys

Margaret Mahy (to many to list... she's a gem)

Walter Moers

Pat O'Shea -- The Hounds of the Morrigan

Daniel Pinkwater

P.G. Wodehouse

James Thurber