Menu

wwyd . . . my job situation (life is never cut and dry) . . .

Some of you may have been following the saga of life, significantly affected by my dh's job loss last year. In March he began work. It's full time and will likely last a year.

In the mean time I was hired back to the place I worked prior to my sahm days. I have been working full time since last June. In April, due to some change in my work duties, I got a nice raise. The increased expectations in my job are wonderful. I am learning so much. I love what I'm doing (which is 100% opposite of where I was in December when things were incredibly bad at work).

So, here's my problem. Last week a part time job was posted within my organization. I have all the qualifications. It will mean a $6/hr decrease in pay and half the hours. And, the job, while okay, is not the great job I have now.

My kids are soon to be 14, 15, 15. I homeschool two of them. One more is asking to go to ps in the fall.

The extra hours at home would be nice, no question about it.

My dilemma is my dh does not have permanent work, although its likely there'll be lots of work in our neck of the woods over the next few years (a huge change from last year). And, I love what I'm doing.

Any thoughts? I'm open to hearing what people think.

If my kids were doing okay, and the house was not a tense mess, I'd stick to full time, for fear of what will be after your hubby's "year". If it was a mess at home and I was needed, I'd switch to lower hours, but hint about that I wanted to be a good, loyal, desirable employee for some time to come (i.e. don't burn your bridges).

But, I have been the support of my family for some time and have a decidedly anxious reaction to the thought of running out of dough.

If my kids were doing okay, and the house was not a tense mess, I'd stick to full time, for fear of what will be after your hubby's "year". If it was a mess at home and I was needed, I'd switch to lower hours, but hint about that I wanted to be a good, loyal, desirable employee for some time to come (i.e. don't burn your bridges).

But, I have been the support of my family for some time and have a decidedly anxious reaction to the thought of running out of dough.

This. Exactly.

I, too, have been the main support of my family for many years. I wouldn't want to sacrifice my family's bread and butter. I'm very cautious about jobs. Nothing lasts forever, least of all money. Plan accordingly.

When you mean your hubby's job is ending this year, do you mean calendar year?

Do you have savings? Are you saving now, or barely scraping by? Are your kids happy? Do they have enough supervision?

How do you want them to remember this time? Can you be available to them, or are they on their own most of the time?

Well, we're coming off a 16 month layoff so please take my opinion with that in mind. I am so freaked out about being in that position again. I'm still working (but not full time, my kids are younger). I think you should stick with the job you've got now because it will mean more financial security for you and your family. Get your savings to a good point, pay off the house, etc.

This is just my oh-so-humble opinion. I'm trying to overcome my fear of dh losing his job again but it's not been any easy battle.

But that's me. There are too many unknown factors that relate to you, your family, your support, etc.

For me, I treasure my time with my family and know that my influence has just such a limited time. I never feel like I have enough time with them!

My husband resigned nearly 4 years ago and has recently gone back to school. I have been floored at how we have limped from job to job to make it work for those 4 years and even saved money?? And yet, we are not stressed. God provides us with the peace as well to know we are fine! And we are! My husband should graduate a year from now and I look forward to some consistency in our lives again, but this has really been a good time for all of us to draw closer and really learn to put needs first, etc.

Both seem to be great options! It's always hard to choose between two good choices! And the future is so hard to predict, all you can do is make the best choice for the facts you have in front of you.

The questions you need to ask yourself should be practical first of all:

How much money do you have now?

How long would it last if neither you or your husband had a job?

Or if you just had the part time job?

What's the minimum amount of money you NEED to earn per month/week to sustain the needs you have now?

Do you have family and support close by that can help with the kids if you're both working and they need someone to run them somewhere? Or stay home with them when they're sick?

What do your husband and kids think?

Do you feel at more at peace with one decision or another?

Only YOU can choose what's best for YOU and your family at THIS time!

Ask for wisdom from those who know you best!

Good luck!

Thanks for these comments.

When I first went back to work it was rough. I went from full time sahm to working overnight. On top of that my dh was struggling with health issues and the fact that his job of 21 yrs ended due to the mill closing.

Since that time we have settled into a routine that seems to be working. We do have challenges and the house isn't like it was when I was home, however, the kids are old enough to help out.

I am sad that my dream of homeschooling the kids to Grade 12 has ended, although my dd will continue homeschooling the boys are/will attend the local school.

I come home for lunch every day. I live 5 driving minutes from my office. If the kids call (and they have) with "emergencies" (none were life threatening emergencies) I can and do pop home. I have quite a bit of flexibility.

I guess part of me feels guilty for working, when my whole life I wanted to stay home with the kids (and did up until last year). My dh and kids are supportive either way, but have told me they want me to keep my job because they know I love it.

Should my dh lose his job it would be tough for us to live on my part time job (although it does have medical, dental, etc. benefits). We have some savings but that is small because my dh was unemployed from February until November 2010 and I was not working full time.

I have a week to decide.