Menu

Favorite books on saints/Christian heroes

dovrar

Fair Sunshine by ...???Jacques???? (can't recall his name, but it's a different sounding name). Good book.

Also, I like

Mary Slessor of Calabar

John Paton, Missionary to the New Hebrides

Hudson Taylor

William Carey

and

Shadow of the Almighty (by Elisabeth Elliot) comes to mind as well.

For early to middle elementary, we really enjoyed the two Augsburg Fortress (Lutheran publisher) books I found somewhere.

Early Saints of God, by Bob Hartman (1998, Augsburg Fortress). Fourth century St. Nicholas of Myra through 13th c. St. Zita in Italy.

Kings and Queens for God, by Carol Greene (1998, Augsburg Fortress). Seventh century Oswald of Northumbria (Britain) through 19th c. Khama of Bechaunaland (present-day Botswana).

The format: a little info. then a 3- to 5-page story of the saint, with a little text about the rest of the saint's life, some questions to think about, and a prayer.

My middle-schooler found the History Lives series interesting enough, and I thought they were pretty great.

Peril and Peace: Chronicles of the Ancient Church, 2005.

Monks and Mystics: Chronicles of the Medieval Church, 2005.

Courage and Conviction: Chronicles of the Reformation Church, 2006.

There's one more, but by title alone I decided to delay it until my older son has more context -- it seemed more oriented toward what we would now call evangelical Christianity.

All by Mindy & Brandon Withrow, Christian Focus Publications.

Our family is neither evangelical Christian nor Catholic (rather, Episcopalian), so many possible texts can have issues for us. The above books were really good, well balanced, with no diatribes or heavy slant in one direction or another. Even when we got to the Reformation period!

We also enjoyed Tomie de Paola books on particular saints, and our public library actually had a pretty decent selection of books on various saints. Picture books are great!

You doubled linked the vision books and didn't link An Alphabet of Catholic Saints, which is also one of my favorites, so I linked it here.

St. Patirck by Tomie dePaola

Francis, The Poor Man of Assisi by Tomie dePaola

St Valentine by Robert Sabuda

Can You Find Saints?

I have more, but that is all I can think of right now.

We are Catholic here, too.

Loyola Kids Book of Saints. This is an excellent book and beautifully written. Really worth getting.

http://www.loyolapress.com/loyola-kids-book-of-saints.htm

You can see samples on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Loyola-Kids-Book-Saints-Welborn/dp/0829415343#_

Blessed John Paul II : Be Not Afraid

http://www.emmanuelbooks.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=2384

Any of the In the Footsteps of the Saints Series

http://www.emmanuelbooks.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=1911

We are Catholic.

I like the books mentioned above. I have seen remarkable growth in my kids since we began discussing the lives of the Saints. Something about their stories really encourages us all. Every morning my dh reads to us from the Prologue of Ohrid; even though some of it is over the kids' heads it has really been an amazing addition to the day.

I found this amazing resource mentioned here on the boards:

Sanctity Through The Centuries

It is a chronological listing of Eastern Saints, and will be an invaluable tool as I incorporate the lives of the Saints with History and Geography.

I have looked at Catholic Mosaic also, and that really looks good!

I really like Book of Heroes by Amy Welborn from Loyola Kids (I think I got it at Amazon). It is stories of Catholic heroes and saints throughout history. I like it because it is written for kids and it related the saint or hero to their everyday life. Makes the kids think and see how their lives are similiar so they too can become a saint! I used this book in a co-op class and not all students were Catholic so I think anyone would benefit from it.

I don't think anyone mentioned the Encounter the Saints Series. I just ordered two today. The first one that comes up is St. Maximiliian Kolbe, one of my favorites!!!!

There is one more that I can't think of. I'll have to look in our church bag tomorrow.

The Encounter the Saints series looks great! Wonder if there are any available on paperbackswap. Oh how I wish my library system had more Catholic books. Maybe I need to move my family to Rome.

Not books, but my kids really love listening to the audio tapes called Glory Stories. They are pricey (although the price is comparable to Weiss's CDs), but my kids have listened to them so many times that we have received our money's worth.

We have received & given some for 1st Communion gifts. The ones they like the best include: Saint Cecilia, Saint Clare, & they enjoy both St. Anthony/St. Joan of Arc. We have all of them except #9.

My kids knew the story of the Miracle of the Eucharist w/St. Anthony so well that the summer bible school teachers commented on it to me. At first, I couldn't figure out how they knew it so well, then I remember the Glory Stories CDs. (It wasn't anything to do with my homeschooling methods, darnnit!)

I am really interested to hear if anyone has the Adventures of St. Paul comic book. I do not know if it is Catholic or not and would appreciate any feedback.

I looked in our church bag and found the other one we like: Saints For Young Readers for Every Day. We only have vol 1 so far.

reposting in hopes someone has info on the St Paul comic............:lurk5: