Menu

Where to begin in WWE?

Both DS 10 and DD 9 are 3rd graders this year. We have been using GWG (started with EG but it wasn't sticking) which I am happy with. We also have a spelling workbook (they are both great spellers).

All year I kept meaning to 'get to writing' but it never really happened. We covered individual topics (cause and effect, details, main idea) but never pulled it all together. Most of our creative writing assignments were a hodge podge of prompts. Our only dictation has been in spelling tests (I include sentences with review words) and we only very recently began to use narration where they (or for DS I) write a narrative summary in about 5 sentences from stories they hear on CD.

In order to have some continuity and focus, I want to purchase a writing curric. for next year.

I was considering IEW or MCT but just can't afford it at this time. I think going into WWE would be a good jumping off point for us and maybe starting one of the other programs later on (if needed).

Anyhow, all that being said, any advice on where to start in WWE?

Start by giving them the WWE end of the year assessment. It can be found on the Peacehillpress website. If you have the Writing with Ease textbook, the assessments are in there also. I'd start w/ the 1st one and keep going until DC no longer passes successfully then start him/her at that level.

Also, SWB's new middle grades writing program will be out in the fall called Writing with Skill. That covers 5th-7th grades I think.

I like and use Writing Strands. I would suggest WS3 for your 3rd graders. I also use WWE, but since it's focus is narration and dictation, I consider it separate from an actual writing program. So instead we rotate between WWE (we skip every other lesson so that they are able to get to the later skills) and Writing Strands so that they get practice writing strong sentences and paragraphs.

I am also eagerly waiting for Writing with Skill!