Menu

If you've used Right Start Math all the way through...

LizzyBee

Yesterday, I was looking at the recommendations for curriculum to use after Right Start. Dr. Cotter recommends starting Videotext Algebra about halfway through the RS Geometry Course. Today, it dawned on me that this means she is recommending that an average math student start Algebra halfway through 5th grade.

If you've used RS all the way through, did you use VT Algebra and start it that early? If so, was your child prepared for Algebra or did you end up having to use something else instead?

My dd has dyslexia and is behind the recommended pace; but I'm looking and planning ahead and wondering if RS really is enough to prepare students to start Algebra.

Thanks!

So, we are only through RS level B (starting C with my rising 2nd grader in the fall, as well as starting back in A with DS4) but I have been wondering/thinking about this too and "thinking ahead" to what we might do.

From what I have gleaned from the RightStart yahoo group, for one thing, it seems like even a lot of "typical" kids end up taking more than one school year to get through at least one of the levels (level C in particular). So I am not sure how many kids are really half-way through RS geometry at the half-way point of 5th grade.

Also, from what other people have said about VT, I get the impression that it starts where most pre-algebra starts. I know as a kid I started pre-algebra in 7th grade, so it may not be TOO far fetched that a kid who made it to that point in RS could be ready for this program. It seems like a lot of people on the RS yahoo group though do spend at least a year after RS doing "something" before starting VT or another pre-algebra program though. I could also suppose that developmentally some kids aren't ready even for pre-algebra as a 6th or 7th grader. Hope that helps a bit!

Instead of RS Geometry, I've used MM Division 2. I think that's the name. Then LOF Fractions and Decimals and Percents. Then, my girls do Algebra. IIRC, Dr. Cotter recommended using RS Geo and Videotext Algebra concurrently.

Thank you.

So, we are only through RS level B (starting C with my rising 2nd grader in the fall, as well as starting back in A with DS4) but I have been wondering/thinking about this too and "thinking ahead" to what we might do.

From what I have gleaned from the RightStart yahoo group, for one thing, it seems like even a lot of "typical" kids end up taking more than one school year to get through at least one of the levels (level C in particular). So I am not sure how many kids are really half-way through RS geometry at the half-way point of 5th grade.

Also, from what other people have said about VT, I get the impression that it starts where most pre-algebra starts. I know as a kid I started pre-algebra in 7th grade, so it may not be TOO far fetched that a kid who made it to that point in RS could be ready for this program. It seems like a lot of people on the RS yahoo group though do spend at least a year after RS doing "something" before starting VT or another pre-algebra program though. I could also suppose that developmentally some kids aren't ready even for pre-algebra as a 6th or 7th grader. Hope that helps a bit!

Thank you. I was wondering where VT starts. Initially, it seemed like it would be a stretch to go from RS to VT, but if VT starts at an earlier point than most Algebra curriculum, maybe it's not.