Menu

Calvin just took his exams after a year in school. He got an A* for every single exam (highest possible mark) except maths, where he got an A. He is one year accelerated overall and two years ahead for maths.

He had been coasting through the year until, after a parent-teacher meeting, we sat him down to ask him what his goals were. When he reiterated his high-flown dreams (excellent university; aiming to become a barrister) we talked about the mismatch that we saw between his goals and current effort. Bingo: he pulled out the stops. He's a highly rational child and could see what he needed to do. I hope that these results convince him that work works.

Hobbes is doing very well too. Being younger, and a different personality, he is not as academically focused, but nothing to worry about.

The parent teacher meeting was very gratifying, by the way. We got compliments from the teachers on both the boys' beginning-of-the-year levels, as well as their behaviour and characters.

Laura

When he reiterated his high-flown dreams (excellent university; aiming to become a barrister) we talked about the mismatch that we saw between his goals and current effort. Bingo: he pulled out the stops. He's a highly rational child and could see what he needed to do. I hope that these results convince him that work works.

This is interesting. I have a boy like that....always has big 'goals' but not willing to put forth much effort, even though he is very capable academically.

It worked recently in regards to his piano playing. He has been taking lessons since he was 5 (11 now) but never put much into it at. all. I didn't push, but wouldn't let him quit. He recently complained that he is 'no good' on piano (comparing himself to a friend 5 years older who is gifted and driven). I pointed out that he rarely practices. I offered my opinion that he has quite a bit of natural potential, musically, but skill wasn't going to come with no work. I also told him that *I* wasn't going to push him in piano beyond requiring the weekly lesson, but that he could hardly complain about being 'no good' when he puts forth so little effort.

Suddenly he is practicing for hours a day! I can't believe it. :001_huh:

Anyway, good for your boys on their accomplishments!

Suddenly he is practicing for hours a day! I can't believe it. :001_huh:

Anyway, good for your boys on their accomplishments!

Sigh.. I so don't see this happening in my house.... DS started violin at age 5. He's now 13. he's part of a string orchestra, has a great teacher, but it's always a fight to have him practise, regardless of what talks he gets from either me, his grandma, or his teacher.

What's your secret???

Sigh.. I so don't see this happening in my house.... DS started violin at age 5. He's now 13. he's part of a string orchestra, has a great teacher, but it's always a fight to have him practise, regardless of what talks he gets from either me, his grandma, or his teacher.

What's your secret???

The key for my son seems to have been listening and watching his friend who is so accomplished.

He leans toward laziness though...in academics and chores...everything.