• 2nd grade level
    • 3rd grade level
    • 4th grade level
    • 5th grade level
    • 6th grade level
    • 7th grade level
    • 8th grade level
    • Higher than 8th grade level

What is/was the reading level of your 3rd grade aged child? Multiple choices available for multiple children. For the purposes of this poll reading level is the grade level of books your child can read without much difficulty.

Edited by Wehomeschool

I don't know how to vote because I don't know how to choose among levels above 4th or 5th grade. We have not had formal testing.

He can read the KJV of the Bible with ease. I've read that's 12th grade level? I'm sure he won't know the definition of every archaic word, but then, neither do I, and I know I read and comprehend beyond 12th grade level. :D

The books he reads for his free reading time range anywhere from 5th to 8th grade level, if you consider the Lexile system an accurate determination of grade levels.

I have heard some people base reading level on standardized testing grade levels, and that isn't correct.

I don't know Dd8's reading level. She is in 3rd grade now. She does the VP lit books. They are easy for her. She can read 5+ chapter books per week in the evenings before she goes to bed. She can read more difficult books, but she is really enjoying the Chronicles of Narnia right now.

I think she is right on track to a bit above for the third grade, but that is based only on my perception. Maybe she is just a bit above for her age since she just turned 8 at the end of third?

I don't worry about it much. I wonder more how Ds6 is doing. He is almost seven and doing Amelia Bedelia, Frog and Toad, etc. I think he is holding his own, but I wonder sometimes what exactly grade level looks like.

I just looked up the AR Level of the last several books my daughter (age 8, finishing 3rd grade) read. They are all listed as late 7th to mid/late 8th grade level which surprises me because I assigned her books that I has enjoyed at about her age but which are out of copyright and freely available through Project Gutenberg. Old books all seem to have relatively high reading levels by modern standards.

Edited by Elizabeth in WA

During her 3rd grade year my dd read the Hobbit and in June at the end of 3rd grade, read TLOTR books. I know she didn't get all the nuances but she understood the gist of it enough to read the entire trilogy and enjoy it. We did have discussions about the books, but again, at a basic level.

I'm not sure what grade level that would be considered though and they're definitely the hardest books she's read, even up until the end of 4th grade this year.

My son is in 3rd grade and he is reading the Redwall series. According to Scholastic (eyes rolling) that is somewhere around 7.8 grade level.

My daughter was reading at about 6th grade level in 3rd grade.

I actually think "grade level" of reading is kind of artificial... Readability indexes are usually formulas involving how many words per sentence or how many letters per word there are. A lot of times they're completely off.

I suspect readability/grade level depend a lot more on the child and their background and interests, their tolerance for unknown words and their motivation to read something. I've found that once reading "clicks" and kids become fluent readers, "grade level" becomes arbitrary. I actually don't think it's particularly impressive when a third grader reads a high school text on a subject they're passionate about.

When dd12 was in 3rd she tested at a 6th grade level, dd9 reads at an 8th grade level (this is according to what the schools tested them at no idea what scale/test they used) even though dd9 reads at a higher level I don't feel her maturity level is on par with some topics that go along with some higher level books so I closely monitor her selections.

DD9 read The Fellowship of the Ring to herself last summer, which appears to be at an 8th grade level, according to some sites. I'm sure there are things in it she didn't fully understand, but she was able to understand and enjoy the plot. She had no problems with decoding the text, anyway.

I actually think "grade level" of reading is kind of artificial... Readability indexes are usually formulas involving how many words per sentence or how many letters per word there are. A lot of times they're completely off.

I suspect readability/grade level depend a lot more on the child and their background and interests, their tolerance for unknown words and their motivation to read something. I've found that once reading "clicks" and kids become fluent readers, "grade level" becomes arbitrary. I actually don't think it's particularly impressive when a third grader reads a high school text on a subject they're passionate about.

:iagree:

According to the website linked by the PP, The Grapes of Wrath is written at a 4.9 grade level and has an upper grades interest level. I can't picture a typical 4th grader reading that book.

I voted based on test results. We use a computerized adaptive test. According to it, my daughter was reading at the same level as 10th graders when she was 8 and my son was reading at the same level as 6th graders...meaning they could do the same level of difficulty as those grades. In reality, most of our reading selections are 5th-8th grade on the AR scale because the content and interest level fits what I need.