Menu

When to start AAS

I have a DS5 who is reading CVC words. We just started using OPGTR and we are on lesson 33. This is all review for him though (but great practice)! I was wondering when is the best time to start AAS. I was thinking about starting it after Christmas. Who knows what he will be doing then, but I would assume he will be well into OPGTR by then. Does it help kids learn to read or is it better to do as a review of reading that the child already knows? Thanks so much for your input!

Some people have used AAS to teach reading, but I haven't. It seems that my girls progress at different speeds for their reading and spelling skills. Reading goes much more quickly, so we work on AAS at a level below their reading skills.

It is definitely a great intensive phonics review, but moves more slowly than a phonics program would in my opinion.

I'm sure after Christmas would be fine, there's no big rush to start at 5, I don't think we started level one until late grade one :).

We started it shortly after starting OPG, it seems around the same lesson that you child is on now. I'd start now or some time in the summer/early fall. Many people start AAS level 1 and it's too easy for them. So why not start sooner than Christmas, and just go at a pace that seems comfortable?

We use it as a reading review, not learning how to read. We finished OPG quite quickly, and now use AAS and ETC as reinforcement for reading. Using AAS early on has made a tremendous difference in my daughter's writing abilities, she loves to express herself.

I start level 1 in grade 1 with all my DC. They are ready for it. You might be able to cover a few "steps" in a few days, but after that the writing part kicks in. After they can spell the words with the tiles they are asked to write them on paper. Then they are asked to write phrases from dictation. First grade seems to be a good time to start that much writing because fine motor skills are much more developed.