Menu

Question about switching younger child to AAS when older children are using SWR?

Delighted3

I have been using SWR with my children for about 3 years now. My 8th grader has moved on. My 5th and 6th grader are still using it. They are struggling spellers and it really helps them, but it is a slow process and takes a lot of time. I have been using it with my 2nd grader, but again it takes a lot of time and planning on my part. He also doesn't like it. I have AAS level 1 and would like to switch my 2nd grader over to that. We started working with it yesterday and got through about the first 3 lessons, because he has a background with SWR and he liked working with the tiles a lot. My concerns are the added phonogram sounds. Will this be too disruptive to have my kids learning different phonograms? We sometimes play phonogram games together, so that would be a problem. Also, my 6th grader often reviews the phonograms with the 2nd grader. Good practice for them both. I am really attracted to AAS because of short lessons, no reference pages, and it is all laid out for me, but there are things I really like about SWR too. Has anybody done both of these programs with different kids in the same family? Is it too confusing? Did you run into any problems? Thanks for any insight.

Joy

Are there that many differences? I know the names differ between programs, but I didn't think there would be that many differences. I've adjusted some of the AAS names myself. We say ow, o may and ow, o oo u may not, etc.... I hope i got those right, bec we're on a break right now. You could adjust them somewhat to match up.

There are only a few differences, can you just teach your 6th grader those differences? I'd think she could probably understand for those times she helps your 2nd grader. There's an extra sound for O, and for Y and I, and the phonogram NK is added for AAS...I think that's about it.