Menu

Seeking Latin and French curriculum suggestions

Desert Rat

Hey all,

Ds has finished the LfC series and, this year, is just reviewing and working on translating the history readers.

I would like him to continue formal Latin training. Any ideas on where to go from here, curriculum-wise?

He is against learning Spanish (Ugh!) and wants to learn French but I'm not finding any French curriculums that look good. Any ideas there?

Thanks a bunch!

DDs 13 and 14 have gone on to Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn Latin Book Two after finishing LfC. Latin Alive wasn't available in time for us, but I'm sure it would be a great follow on.

I'm not sure what French curricula you've looked at, but some that you might want to check out are:

L'Art de Lire -- We use this and have really enjoyed it.

Le Francais Facile

First Start French

So You Really Want to Learn French

My boys have finished LfC A&B. I asked VP about enrolling them in the Latin Alive course instead of doing LfC C. They suggested finishing LfC C and going into Wheelock's. So, you might consider just going directly from LfC A-C to Wheelock's.

The VP folks said that the LA 1 class is for "older grammar students with no previous Latin experience" and that at least the whole first half of LA would be review for students who had already completed LfC A & B. (So I imagine that even more of it would be review for your son since he's already done LfC C, too.)

Good luck!

yvonne

For French-

Have you looked at Galore Park's SYRWTL French? It's the best program I've found so far for upper elementary/middle school. I definitely recommend all the supplemental stuff (audio cds, assessment pack, online practice subscription)

I also have tried these-

L'Art de Lire-I think Nallenart would be to young for most 11 yr olds.

First Start French-I can't recommend this

Learnables-ok for a pretty boring supplement

Les Portes Tordues-a fun supplement but I wouldn't use it alone

I spent months agonizing over French choices last year!

Dd11 and I are learning French together using Galore Park's SYRWTL French. We spend from 15-30 minutes each day reading, listening, and writing. We'll be subscribing to the online portion next month for practice during the summer :D

Thanks for the French suggestions! Has anyone used Latin Alive? My concern is that too much of it would be repetitive. It says in the description that it would be a good starter curriculum for older kids.

Elegantlion did LfC A & B (I think it was A & B) and moved into Latin Alive with her son.

Dd11 and I are learning French together using Galore Park's SYRWTL French. We spend from 15-30 minutes each day reading, listening, and writing. We'll be subscribing to the online portion next month for practice during the summer :D

Hi, Luckymama, how do you order SYRWTL French in the US? Is there a cheaper way than ordering from Galor park and pay for the expensive air shipping?

Thanks,

Hi, Luckymama, how do you order SYRWTL French in the US? Is there a cheaper way than ordering from Galor park and pay for the expensive air shipping?

Thanks,

I have ordered Galore Park materials from Book Depository (free shipping) and Ray at Horrible Books (discounted but have to wait until he places an order). I've been happy with both.

Thanks,

I was lucky enough to snag a used set (text, answer book, cd) from the used curriculum board here :001_smile:

I ordered the assessment CD through www.bookdepository.com for a discounted price plus free shipping.

When I order the Book 2 items, I'll go with price, either from Horrible Books (is it a June or July order date? must go check lol) or from bookdepository again.

I was lucky enough to snag a used set (text, answer book, cd) from the used curriculum board here :001_smile:

I ordered the assessment CD through www.bookdepository.com for a discounted price plus free shipping.

When I order the Book 2 items, I'll go with price, either from Horrible Books (is it a June or July order date? must go check lol) or from bookdepository again.

Thanks so much. Did you use Skoldo as well?

Thanks so much. Did you use Skoldo as well?

No we didn't---this is our very first year with French and with homeschooling :001_smile: I wanted a curriculum she could progress through during her middle school years that wasn't little-kid-ish by the time she is 14 (:tongue_smilie: and :eek: )

No we didn't---this is our very first year with French and with homeschooling :001_smile: I wanted a curriculum she could progress through during her middle school years that wasn't little-kid-ish by the time she is 14 (:tongue_smilie: and :eek: )

Very thoughtful! That makes total sense.

How do you order via Horrible book?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest elisabethrap

I will be beginning Latin this year with three sixth graders and a 9th grader. They have been doing well with French and German on Rosetta Stone but we were looking for a change with Latin. I was planning on using either the Latin Christina or the Road To Latin but after reading these posts I am lost. I would like them all to start on the same program, but which one? Galore seems to come up alot but they do not offer a Audio or CD Rom. does this matter at this stage?..please advise me! Thank you.

Also .. we have only been able to get through Critical Thinking 1; do this factor in?

Edited by elisabethrap

We are also planning on beginning serious study of French. My kids are much younger (6 and 4), but we can't find anything good either. We decided on Memoria Press French curriculum for the first year and then I am going to take a very different approach. We are planning on asking some friends to send us French textbooks used in Moroccan schools. Those kids start school not knowing french and become fluent in one year. I know environment matters, but since both my husband and I speak fluent French, we are thinking to try this approach. I found a sample page of a second grade textbook used in schools on a blog written by an american girl born and raised in Morocco. Here is a link.

http://moroccomama.wordpress.com/?s=2nd+grader+in+morocco

Maybe it is also worth researching what is used in english speaking Canadian schools to teach French?

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

You can order Galore Park materials from Ray at Horrible Books: http://http://www.horriblebooks.com/. I have bought from him for years now and highly recommend him. He places orders with them about every three months, offers and excellent exchange rate, a 20% discount and free shipping.