Menu

**A few questions--is this a good enough program to stand alone or do people do it in conjunction with other programs?? I'm thinking AOPS--but will it be overload if we do both Algebra books maybe alternating different days??

**Is the home companion necessary? Does the Algebra book have all the answers on the same page as the questions like the other books.

DS ADORES Fred--so I'm hoping to fit it in in someway--but I want to be sure his Algebra base is strong :001_smile:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

If he loves LoF it will be a fun add on to any curriculum, no matter how complete that curriculum is. I think LoF is fun and is great practice, especially for word problems. You don't *need* the companion but if you can afford it I think it would be nice to have because it contains the missing half of the answers to the end of the chapter problems (the book only contains half of the answers) and extra practice problems. He probably won't need the extra practice problems if he's using it in addition to AoPS (though if he's a math lover like my ds he may want to do them for fun) but it would be nice to have all of the answers.

ETA that in regards to your first question, whether or not it's enough to stand alone will really depend on the child. Also, while AoPS is an EXCELLENT curriculum it too isn't for everyone because the way it teaches (through discovery, which is one way LoF teaches as well) doesn't work for every child and will extremely frustrate many.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

We are using LOF Beginning Algebra. To make it a complete program you need the home companion.

I always hesitate to recommend it. It's working for us, but I don't think it's the ideal program for everyone. I do think if you've completed the pre-algebra books (only the biology one was published when we completed pre-algebra), you have a decent idea of how Fred works.

Beginning algebra is only 108 lessons so you could supplement, although you don't have to.

I'll tell you how we use it. We do the lessons together. I've actually done the lessons before ds so we talk through them. I know that he understands what we covered and am available for questions. He's starting to complete the readings and assignments on his own, but we still discuss directly after he is done. I don't believe LOF is the type of program that should be handed to the child and not checked by the teacher on a regular basis.

Part of the issue is that ds is still building good study habits. He glosses over things, he thinks very mathematically so he sometimes gets the right answer without thinking about the process. He tends to think of math like LOF. I also want him to build good study habits in math, so we will do some supplementing next year. Most likely with an integrated math program so he can work on different concepts than what he is using in LOF.

However, LOF is a different program. It's not set up like a traditional program. You don't cover a concept and then practice it 40 times. Some people are not comfortable with a unique set up at the high school level of math.

It's not set up like a textbook with bolded highlights and pertinent information in the sidebars. It's like a book, you may need to go back and read to fully understand the concept being addressed. There are handy-dandy equations indexed in the back of the book.

From everything I've read about the upper levels, the math itself is sound. The question is whether your individual student will be able to learn and retain in the Fred teaching style.

It works for us and my current plan is to use the LOF sequence throughout high school. I also have lots of other math resources at hand, in case we get stuck.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
We are using LOF Beginning Algebra. To make it a complete program you need the home companion.

I always hesitate to recommend it. It's working for us, but I don't think it's the ideal program for everyone. I do think if you've completed the pre-algebra books (only the biology one was published when we completed pre-algebra), you have a decent idea of how Fred works.

Beginning algebra is only 108 lessons so you could supplement, although you don't have to.

I'll tell you how we use it. We do the lessons together. I've actually done the lessons before ds so we talk through them. I know that he understands what we covered and am available for questions. He's starting to complete the readings and assignments on his own, but we still discuss directly after he is done. I don't believe LOF is the type of program that should be handed to the child and not checked by the teacher on a regular basis.

Part of the issue is that ds is still building good study habits. He glosses over things, he thinks very mathematically so he sometimes gets the right answer without thinking about the process. He tends to think of math like LOF. I also want him to build good study habits in math, so we will do some supplementing next year. Most likely with an integrated math program so he can work on different concepts than what he is using in LOF.

However, LOF is a different program. It's not set up like a traditional program. You don't cover a concept and then practice it 40 times. Some people are not comfortable with a unique set up at the high school level of math.

It's not set up like a textbook with bolded highlights and pertinent information in the sidebars. It's like a book, you may need to go back and read to fully understand the concept being addressed. There are handy-dandy equations indexed in the back of the book.

From everything I've read about the upper levels, the math itself is sound. The question is whether your individual student will be able to learn and retain in the Fred teaching style.

It works for us and my current plan is to use the LOF sequence throughout high school. I also have lots of other math resources at hand, in case we get stuck.

She is absolutely correct. When I was posting about whether it's necessary I was talking about whether it's necessary if it's being used as a supplement. Sorry if my post was confusing!

I'm thinking AOPS--but will it be overload if we do both Algebra books maybe alternating different days??

You've already got great answers, but I will just add my experience with AoPS and LoF. DD 14 is doing them both (algebra a couple years ago, geometry this year) and really loves the combination. She enjoys AoPS, but sometimes gets a bit bogged down in it, so LoF has been a great addition. Pretty much everything she does in LoF is review. She just loves the story though so she does it anyway. DD does Fred for a couple minutes at the end of her math (AoPS) lesson. I've never tried alternating days. It could work.

Question for those of you who supplement AoPS:

how much time do you spend on math? Or do I have extremely slow kids?

It took my DD 240 hours of work to finish the AoPS Intro to Algebra book.

No way could we have worked in a second curriculum.

Edited by regentrude

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Question for those of you who supplement AoPS:

how much time do you spend on math? Or do I have extremely slow kids?

It took my DD 240 hours of work to finish the Intro to Algebra book.

No way could we have worked in a second curriculum.

If LoF is review and everything has been taught in the main curriculum (and I think that will be the case with AoPS) it doesn't take much time at all and will be more fun than work. If the concepts being covered in LoF haven't been learned yet it will definitely take longer. My older kids are very different and spend very different amounts of time on their math. One "gets" math very quickly and could look like he's not doing anything because he takes very little time. Not surprisingly, he is also the one that loves LoF and reads them (over and over again). For him adding LoF is fun. For his brother, not so much;):lol:

thanks gals! I love all the information. My son did Decimals and Fractions very independently--but we are on the 2nd Prealgebra book and I am finding I need to sit with him more and slow it down so he can think about it. He does get frustrated when he gets it wrong the first time--I think this is the first time math has come difficult to him. Granted he is in 5th grade--so it should be difficult--I have to really think a lot on them--and I started at Purdue in Actuarial Science!!

I like the idea of letting Fred be a 10 minute thing at the end--so he can keep up with the story and just maybe do the odd problems for fun--maybe we'll get the companion to it as we see everything unfold. He could spend most of his day on Math so I'm not sure that will be a big issue----now writing....that's a real issue!!