Menu

Manipulatives for MM

HollyM25

I don't use manipulatives unless my son doesn't understand a concept with pictures... The only ones I've used are base 10 blocks and the abacus (which the place value chapter in 1B uses). I got both of these at Rainbow Resource. I got the Rightstart abacus. It's $10 at RR. The author also suggests a geared clock, which is less than $2 at RR.

I had left over MUS blocks. :) You could easily make your own paper manipulatives too. I would laminate them for durability. This is agreat alternative if you are strapped for cash. If you go the route of creating your own, remember to use the tables in Word. It is easier to ask to insert a 10x10 table for a 100 block than to place 100 little blocks!

We still use our c-rods with it and we have some geometric manipulatives as well but I don't think any of that is integral to MM. I know she says to get an abacus, and we love using ours, but I don't think even that is totally needed though. If you have a kid who likes manipulates, I would say get fun math manipulatives. If not, get a cheap abacus in case you need it and then call it done.