Menu

Spin-Off: What Is Your ONE Favorite Low Cost Recipe?

I mentioned potato soup in the other thread.

A lot of meals I do average at about $1 per person, sometimes less. Almost all the recipes I make are low cost...I've always been on a tight budget, so its how I learned to cook.

Homemade veggie burgers! I calculated my cost at $0.35 each, including homemade buns and fixings. :)

I just take any old bean (black, chick pea, or pinto usually), and soak them overnight. Then I put it in the food processor (2 cups of pre-soaked beans?) with an egg, matzo meal or flour (1/2 cup), oatmeal (sometimes) (1/2 cup?), garlic (3), onion (1/2 to 1), lemon juice (2 T?), sometimes cheese, sometimes a few chopped veggies (carrots, peppers, mushrooms). Then I pan fry them. There are endless variations and they're all delicious! :) Measurements are estimates since I just don't measure. :)

Other costs I've figured:

Black bean chili costs $0.40 per cup w/fixings

2 poached eggs, toast, and salad, $0.60

pinto bean tacos w/fixings (including homemade tofu sour cream), $0.50 per taco

The power of the BEAN! :)

Homemade macaroni and cheese is very inexpensive if all ingredients are purchased at LPP (lowest possible price). Here that means paying no more than $2.00/lb for cheddar cheese and $.50/lb for pasta. Milk rarely goes on sale, so that's one sorta fixed cost.

I can make a huge pot with 3# of pasta for about .37/serving.

Homemade veggie burgers! I calculated my cost at $0.35 each, including homemade buns and fixings. :)

I just take any old bean (black, chick pea, or pinto usually), and soak them overnight. Then I put it in the food processor (2 cups of pre-soaked beans?) with an egg, matzo meal or flour (1/2 cup), oatmeal (sometimes) (1/2 cup?), garlic (3), onion (1/2 to 1), lemon juice (2 T?), sometimes cheese, sometimes a few chopped veggies (carrots, peppers, mushrooms). Then I pan fry them. There are endless variations and they're all delicious! :) Measurements are estimates since I just don't measure. :)

Other costs I've figured:

Black bean chili costs $0.40 per cup w/fixings

2 poached eggs, toast, and salad, $0.60

pinto bean tacos w/fixings (including homemade tofu sour cream), $0.50 per taco

The power of the BEAN! :)

Would you mind sharing recipes for the black bean chili and the pinto bean tacos.... including the recipe for the tofu sour cream (I've never even heard of this!)?

Thanks!

Crockpot Lentil Taco Bake

1 cup lentils

1 cup brown rice (uncooked)

1 pkg taco seasoning (or equivalent bulk seasoning)

4 cups water

Combine in crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours, 3-4 on high (will depend on your crockpot). Serve with your favorite taco toppings. This is VERY filling and yummy with shredded cheese, tortilla chips, etc. Also is good in tortillas for enchiladas or quesadillas, and will freeze well if there are any leftovers. If making a larger quantity, increase cooking time.

Every single member of my family LOOOOOVES beans and rice (even the baby). We eat it at least once a week because we love it so much.

We can our own beans, so that is cheaper than buying them already canned, plus they taste better.

Anyway, it's just white rice (or brown) and a few cans of beans (any kind, we usually use red beans), seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic (minced or powdered). Those who want hot sauce add it to their own bowls.

You can add other stuff, like chicken and stewed tomatoes, but it tastes great just plain as well.

We've always wondered what a guest would think if we had them over for dinner and served beans and rice.... are we just crazy?

• 2 weeks later...
Crockpot Lentil Taco Bake

1 cup lentils

1 cup brown rice (uncooked)

1 pkg taco seasoning (or equivalent bulk seasoning)

4 cups water

Combine in crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours, 3-4 on high (will depend on your crockpot). Serve with your favorite taco toppings. This is VERY filling and yummy with shredded cheese, tortilla chips, etc. Also is good in tortillas for enchiladas or quesadillas, and will freeze well if there are any leftovers. If making a larger quantity, increase cooking time.

Just wanted to say that I made this last week and dh and I LOVE it. He says his boys will like it too. We ate it as a taco filler....but I could see it as a taco salad with chips too. Very inexpensive and very yummy.

Thank you!

Every single member of my family LOOOOOVES beans and rice (even the baby). We eat it at least once a week because we love it so much.

We can our own beans, so that is cheaper than buying them already canned, plus they taste better.

Anyway, it's just white rice (or brown) and a few cans of beans (any kind, we usually use red beans), seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic (minced or powdered). Those who want hot sauce add it to their own bowls.

You can add other stuff, like chicken and stewed tomatoes, but it tastes great just plain as well.

We've always wondered what a guest would think if we had them over for dinner and served beans and rice.... are we just crazy?

I'd eat at your house and NOT think you were crazy! Of course I grew up thinking pinto beans and cornbread was a complete meal! :D

Since we're all talking beans, one of our family favorites is home-cooked pinto beans and homemade tortillas.

Basically all I need is:

Pinto beans

2 1/2 C flour

1/4 + 2 Tbs. shortening

Cheese

and water

If I have all those ingredients, that's one of our favorite meals. A salad from the garden or veggies in the burrito is a plus and free for us, as well, provided we have some dressing.

Roasted vegetables:

Cut up whatever combination of potatoes, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, turnips, and carrots you can buy cheaply. Mix in a can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or cook your own and add them). Sprinkle with oil, salt, and spice (we like olive oil and rosemary but corn oil and Italian seasoning would be cheaper). Bake at about 450 degrees. Those who like it can put hot sauce or ketchup on top. I've made it plenty of times with just potatoes and carrots and chickpeas, no other vegetables, and it is still good.

Nan

Stir fry with rice or pasta, w/ veggies, & shredded chicken thigh meat is very cheap for me to make. On sale, even whole grain pasta is about $1 (without a coupon) for 14-16 oz., and brown rice in bulk is less than $1/lb. Add the cheapest veggies-- carrots, cabbage, onion, and it's less than $5 for a whole meal, so $1 or less per person.

My bean/ro-tel combo

I use either leftover beans from my refried beans without the refry crock-pot recipe, OR a can or two of pintos, one can of ro-tel tomatoes (mild or original). Simmer in a pot til good and warm. Mash some of the beans to make it creamier.

Take leftover rice and reheat in a skillet with olive oil and a dash of butter or earth balance. Serve the beans over the rice.

To kick it up, I throw cilantro and diced avocado on top. It does kick the price up a little also, but it's still a cheap meal!

My ultimate inexpensive dinner is pasta and sauce made with tomato paste. Tomato paste is only 40 cents each here, add two cans full of water to it in a pot, season how you like it (for us, salt, pepper, garlic powder and a little sugar) serve with a can of vegetables. Very, very inexpensive and really quick. It is not really saucy, more like a sauce coating, and you can add to it as your budget allows. This has been an end of the month life saver for us for years. We usually top it with any cheese available, even the "sprinkle" parmesean cheese.

It was sort of a contest, IIRC. Several people (including me) posted menus & recipes. Not sure if a winner was ever announced, but even so, you'll find some great money-savers there. If I can locate the thread, I'll link to it.

ETA: Here it is, from a year ago this past week (Wow! I didn't think it had been that long!): http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177571

Edited by ereks mom

And for dessert:

One package of won ton wrappers

Some powdered sugar

Vegetable oil (you can reuse this)

A wok

Fill the wok about 1/2 full of oil. Heat to just below smoking. Take one wrapper and cut it in half. Cut a 1 inch slit the long way in one half. Pull the other half through it so that it forms an X shape. Drop into the oil, pull out with a skimmer when golden. Let drain on a rack or towels. When it's more or less drained, but still hot and somewhat wet, sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar, turn, and sprinkle the other side. The powdered sugar will stick to the oil. These are embarrassingly filling, good, and unhealthy--IOW, the perfect dessert! And very cheap.

Lentil Stew. even Meat lover hubby loves it!

Its from this lady:

http://www.feedyourfamily.com.au/

The book saying "heres an extra $150 a week" thats the first "revised" book, (on the left scrolling down) the middle $75 a week one is more meat-lovers, I believe, as I have both, it contained stuff more lik hamburgers etc, so its the left side one thats the best.

And he hates lentils, it actually took me making it a couple of times before he found out it wasn't meat lol.

Im not really big on meat, I like lots of fruits and veg, DH is very meat & carb man though, and totally forgets about F&V.

PS: We are aussie, so not sure on the availbility of the book to US. It could also work out different due to aus vs us currency, but could still work out cheaper, as we don't really have "coupons" out here.

Edited by Ecclecticmum
My bean/ro-tel combo

I use either leftover beans from my refried beans without the refry crock-pot recipe, OR a can or two of pintos, one can of ro-tel tomatoes (mild or original). Simmer in a pot til good and warm. Mash some of the beans to make it creamier.

Take leftover rice and reheat in a skillet with olive oil and a dash of butter or earth balance. Serve the beans over the rice.

To kick it up, I throw cilantro and diced avocado on top. It does kick the price up a little also, but it's still a cheap meal!

I have a very similar recipe for tamale pie! It's a favorite around here. It won't be as frugal as some of the recipes listed so far, but I stock up on the the ingredients when they are priced rock-bottom.

It's 1 lb ground beef browned with one onion, 2 cans ro-tel tomatoes, 2 cans pinto beans, simmered until thickening. Then you top it with 2 cups crumbled corn bread mixed with 1 cup shredded cheese and bake for 20 minutes on 375.